is it worth doing a 86/87 motor swap into a 1981 turbo regal?

Oaktown

t-typeless for 5 yrs..ugh
i have a 81 turbo regal i have been trying to sell but cant give it away in this economy. it runs and drives okay but if its not a 86 or 87 i dont want it. motor/trans that is. i have a complete engine and trans along with turbo/ intercooler... what else is needed to do this swap? is it hard to get the computer in place with all the wires running to it? i have parted out many cars and always end up cutting a lot of wires, i cant imagine how anyone gets the wire harness out intact or put it back in... i know its stupid but thats the part that bothers me... putting the motor/trans in is nothing... is there some sort of painless wire kit i can hook up or what do you guys think... maybe i can be talked thru it... haha...

The harness will come out intact, never done it myself but friends have & after the front clip is off its easy they say.

Well since you sold the car I'll put in my 2 cents anyways....

Obviously as you probably have figured, you have your work cut out for you.

Might be best for you to find an 86-87 model that needs and engine and trans, and just use yours.

Converting an 81 to an 86-87 is a big task, was going to do it myself until I realized how much work was involved. Sort of like trying to convert a 2WD truck to a 4WD.

In addition to the wiring harness you'd also need an 84-up gas tank and you'd also need the exhaust too.

Well since you sold the car I'll put in my 2 cents anyways....

Obviously as you probably have figured, you have your work cut out for you.

Might be best for you to find an 86-87 model that needs and engine and trans, and just use yours.

Converting an 81 to an 86-87 is a big task, was going to do it myself until I realized how much work was involved. Sort of like trying to convert a 2WD truck to a 4WD.

In addition to the wiring harness you'd also need an 84-up gas tank and you'd also need the exhaust too.

Do you need the entire gas tank or just the sending unit? I am doing a '79 and haven't dropped the tank yet, but appears to be the same as my '87

The gas tank in the Fuel injected cars are baffled. The one in your 79 is not. Needed to keep the fuel pump in gas. Though I heard of guys running the non baffled tank they just keep it aleast half full or something like that.