Is it feasable?

1dollardog

Are we there yet?
Is it feasable to take a hot air sfi intake and carb it? I know it doesn't make sense to do so but lets say someone has one laying around and just wants to do something with it. At the intake hole where the turbo would ordinarily mount to---adapt a pipe leading up to a seat for your carb. This wouldn't have to be high enough to interfear with the hood. Ok, you with me so far? Ok carb is mounted and fuel line is adapted and ran to the carb. Mount the turbo in basically the same location as in the stock 87 location. In this location you could actually use any size turbo that you wanted as well as intercool it. The turbo then would feed air to the carb from this location. Oil feed and drain should be easy in this location as well. Let me know what you guys think. Is this stupid or what?

In this configuration couldn't you somehow use the stock injectors to spray alky while your fuel is being delivered at the carb? I'm not sure how that would work but I like the sound of it.

"Is this stupid or what?"

We are in the process of doing this right now to our 85 GN. Need a different regulator to get the fuel pressure down lower for the carb (CSU 750). We installed a new A 1000 pump and running bigger fuel feed and return lines as well. It looks like we will have hood clearance issues with the carb bonnet we are using. We will be running a MSD distributor with a MSD boost retard box. We will let you know how it works out just waiting on the carb from CSU. We also need to get the front brackets set up for the 86/87 belt setup because the turbo is in the way of the 84/85 V belt setup. If we are stupid I guess we will see about that. LOL

Jim

Thats awesome. I thought I was the only one with crazy ideas like that. I'd be interested in a parts list and alot of pics when it is done.What kind of results are you expecting? Faster than a "before black car" but slower than a "sfi"car or what? I'm thinking with the possiblity of a larger turbo and intercooler it has great potential. Sounds like a great "spare parts hotrod" to me. How about the "alky from the injectors" idea? Is that possible? If so, how? I don't think you are very far from me. Is China Grove near Charlotte?

China Grove is 30 miles north of Charlotte on I-85. Keven at CSU says with our small turbo 550 HP at the wheels should be no problem. We were in the middle of the 84/85 to 86/87 converison and my son said why not, if it don't work we can put the carb on my Corvette and supercharge it and go back to FI. Go to this site and read up on blow through carbs: TheTurboForums - Index

Some of those guys are insane.

Jim

China Grove is 30 miles north of Charlotte on I-85. Keven at CSU says with our small turbo 550 HP at the wheels should be no problem. We were in the middle of the 84/85 to 86/87 converison and my son said why not, if it don't work we can put the carb on my Corvette and supercharge it and go back to FI. Go to this site and read up on blow through carbs: TheTurboForums - Index

Some of those guys are insane.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I'll check that site out. Yeah I'm about 2 1/2 hours or so from you. How soon do you think you will be up and running? 550 hp is great. Do you think it will be cost effective compared to beefing up a stock I/C car with bolt ons?
Steve

At this point we are waiting on the carb. We need to get a few more pulleys and the Champion alt. and PS bracket. We are now working on the front A arm bushings and replacing the body bushings. We will then install the engine and T400 so we can measure for the driveshaft. We also have Moser 30 spline axles to install along with a new Eaton 30 spline posi, c clip elimators, and T/A rear cover. Also have the JCR intercooler to install as well. Then there is the wiring to take care of. Thats pretty good list of things to do but we are getting there. As far as cost, I don't know but one thing for sure we can use most of the stuff if we go with the 86/87 setup, less carb and intake. My son wanted to do somthing different as he had just finished taking a class on advanced power plant development by David George. He is the head engine man at Robert Yates racing and worked on the Nissan GTP cars when they ruled the tracks years ago. My son now has some wild ideas and wants to to give them a try.

Jim

Sounds great. Good luck to you guys and keep me posted on the progress. I'm very interested in this set up and would like any info you guys could send my way. Thanks alot.
Steve

Jim,
Did you guys ever get this idea going? I'm curious to know how it turned out. Let me know.
Steve

I missed this thread when it was posted. You can carb a SFI hot air intake. Just use the carb turbo compressor housing from a 79-83 Riviera and a 78-83 Regal carb and plenum. The Riviera uses the same turbo to intake adapter that the hot airs use. At one time Turbonetics made a carb plenum that attached to a normal turbo with boots and clamps. But than you would have to modify the compressor housing to bolt on to the intake.

dad posted in another thread pics of the progress. things have slowed down for the moment due to my good friend opening a shop nearby (PCM's4less). he just put in a new dynojet loading dyno and i have been out there helping. i've decided to get a 9" rear and sell the 10 bolt with the posi and axles. I still have to run the fuel lines and wire everything up but there is no reason i couldnt have everything running motor wise. just time and effort. here is the link to the thread with pics http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-v8-conversions/224905-carb-fuel-injected.html oh yeah im going to be able to fit it under the stock hood yay!!