Is Hemmings Classic Car affiliated with the AARP old folks magazine? :)

GSX-PKV

I get Hemmings Classic Car magazine for almost nothing so I keep it but the columnists in that magazine seem really old. I'm really old and they seem like they could be my grandfather's age :)

I got the new March edition in the mail and the cover headline is: "Meet the newest classic cars class of 1987". These geezers did not mention any Turbo Buicks ... their picks are: Caddilac Allante, Chevy El camino, Chevy Caprice wagon, Chevette :0, Dodge Diplomat, LX Mustang, Tbird Turbo Coupe, GMC Safari Van, Lincoln Mark VII, Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon, Old Firenza GT, Pontiac 6000SE Wagon and the Fiero. Other than a few of these... it sounds more like a list of inventory in the scrapyard. I thought this was the april Fools edition and checked the cover again but it is for March so the wild geezers on the Hemmings Classic Car must have counted cars in the parking lot when they meet to go over the issues at the senior center.

YIKES! No Turbo Buicks in their opinions.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Did they even specify the Fiero as a GT? Cuz otherwise the only thing I even see there is the Diploturd, err the Mulletstang LX, um, I mean TurboCoupe! Hemmings, like any company today is facing the difficult economic times and it's hard to find something resembling talent for what you can afford to pay contributing writers and associate editors.

My guess is, a bunch of kids that grew up in 4-drs and have absolutely NO clue whatsoever but will work for nothing to get HEMMINGS on their resume. Probably not even car people. Just looking to associate themselves with a respectable publication for future use in something they actually enjoy and understand.

We go over this every other month at work in reading MuscleCar Review. If we have to read about a stinkin Chevy engine including the proper overspray on the bellhousing one more time somebody's gonna light the issue as a sacrifice to the car gods!!!

On the other hand, I have a friend at Hemmings Muscle Machines who show's the promise of possibly being the next Pat Ganahl in his research of historical accuracy and having great writing skills. Certainly not some visionless corporate azzkissing hack like Brian Brennen! I consider myself lucky to have made friends with him when he was just a young newspaper reporter putting a notch on his resume.

Jeez what a horrible list. Not even mention of the 87 Chevy Camaro IROC 5.7L, which was the first year the IROCs got the 350.

EDIT: Just saw the Chevette...WTF? I guess we'll be seeing those classic Chevettes on Barrett Jackson really soon.

You're more likely to see them in Hemmings Muscle Machines, Just sayin.....

I am going to write a letter haha my old man and i were debating this last night!

I am going to write a letter haha my old man and i were debating this last night!

I emailed this letter to the editor...

The March 2012 issue listing the "Newest Classic Cars - Class of 1987" made me laugh. I had to take another look at the cover of the issue to be sure it was not the April issue with an April Fools joke included in it. Half the cars listed in the issue are better candidates for cash for clunkers, not "classics".

How could any 1987 list not include the Buick GNX, Grand National, and Turbo T T-Types. There was no mention of IROC Camaro's or Firebird GTA's. Corvettes and Mustang GT's were also not mentioned.

No offense intended, but that list would be more appropriate in a magazine like MAD Magazine and not what we consider a knowledgeable automobile magazine like Hemmings Classic Cars.

Paul

I emailed this letter to the editor...

The March 2012 issue listing the "Newest Classic Cars - Class of 1987" made me laugh. I had to take another look at the cover of the issue to be sure it was not the April issue with an April Fools joke included in it. Half the cars listed in the issue are better candidates for cash for clunkers, not "classics".

How could any 1987 list not include the Buick GNX, Grand National, and Turbo T T-Types. There was no mention of IROC Camaro's or Firebird GTA's. Corvettes and Mustang GT's were also not mentioned.

No offense intended, but that list would be more appropriate in a magazine like MAD Magazine and not what we consider a knowledgeable automobile magazine like Hemmings Classic Cars.

Paul

Good for you!! What a bunch of assclowns.

Really? A focking Chevette, GMC Safari van, Pontiac 6000 Wagon made their list of '87 GM classics.

I woulda been happy to see a Monte SS or 442 make the list, let alone any Turbo Regal. Again, morons obviously in charge at that rag.:rolleyes:

It seems to me that Hemming's likes to pick up on the quirky or unappreciated stuff. The performance cars of '87 like the IROC, SS Monte, GTA, 442 & H/O and our beloved Turbo Buicks are already well known among collectors and enthusiasts.

It is Hemming's Classic and the cars they mention in the article turn 25 years old too, just like Corvairs, Pintos, AMC Hornets, Mavericks, etc. ect. It doesn't have to be about speed to be "classic".