Is anyone bidding on this here?

turboscott

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2407763122&category=6137

Ran this car in my database here at work. Here are the painful results. Salvage title.

Collision
Actual Cash Value: 015700 Received: 006116 Appraised: 000000
Company: GREAT AMERICAN INSURANCE COMPANY Phone: 9197831400
Address: COMMERCIAL CLAIMS
: PO BOX 29509
City: RALEIGH State: NC Zip: 27626
Claim Number: 745563620

NORRIS AUTO SALES
Address: RT 2 BOX 282
City: DUNN State: NC Zip:
--> VIN: 1G4GJ1176HP435651 (PASS) Year: 1987
Make: BUICK Model: REGAL

Not always. It didn't pick it up on a car I was looking into buying a couple months ago. It also didn't pick it up for a couple other people I have VIN's for.

Good catch. Keep up the good work!

:)

You never know, the guy might not even know himself that it had a problem if he is going by Carfax, but any bodyman with a close look should be able to tell what has been done to a car.

Carfax didn't pick this one up:

1. ACCIDENT CHECK

Total Loss Check No Severe Accidents Reported to DMV - GUARANTEED!
Other Accident Indicators No Accident Indicators Reported

2. MILEAGE ACCURACY CHECK
Truth-In-Mileage Check No Odometer Problems Reported to DMV - GUARANTEED!
Odometer Rollback Check No Odometer Rollback Detected

3. LEMON CHECK®
No Manufacturer Buyback Reported to DMV - GUARANTEED!

4. OWNERSHIP CHECK
Number of Owners 2 Known Owner(s)
Type of Owners Checked 9 Types of Vehicle Registrations

5. RECALL CHECK
No Recall Information Reported to CARFAX

07/18/1993 41,507 North Carolina
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Hickory, NC
Title #0001509570
Title or registration issued

12/11/1996 46,074 North Carolina
Inspection Station
Salisbury, NC
Passed emissions inspection

01/26/1998 North Carolina
Inspection Station
Gastonia, NC

02/18/1999 52,270 North Carolina
Inspection Station
Salisbury, NC

07/16/2002 54,091 Alabama
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Helena, AL
Title #29419505
Title issued
New owner reported

I think I know that car and it's owner. I actually looked at the car here in Birmingham on a lot. Dealer wanted to much for it but it was clean. Local guy here bought it and I seriously doubt he knows of any accident history on the car. Those pictures are actually taken right down the hill behind my house....Knew the scenery looked familiar : )

Well for starters both bumper moldings are non-original T-Type style with the white stripe inside. That immediately raised a red flag as soon as I looked at the first pic of the car.

He ran 117 mph with mods of only a fuel pump, AFPR, K&N filter, and sticky tires?:eek:

Man what am I doing wrong?

CARFAX picks up my salvage title. They also have some kind of guarantee if there's a title problem and they miss it. Not sure how "real" a guarantee it is (they prolly protect themselves well with the fine print). If repaired right, there's nothing wrong with a salvage title - you just have to catch it and make sure you pay a price that reflects the history. My car was totaled but was an easy fix with no frame damage (needed 1/4s). The minimum bid on that car is a premium for a GN with that mileage and a CLEAN title. I'd knock about 3 or 4 grand off that opening bid for the salvage title.

Jim

I wasn't implying there is anything wrong with a salvaged car, I just like people to know what they are buying. I know I would be pissed if I paid top dollar for a car only to find out it has a salvage title.

Originally posted by turboscott
I wasn't implying there is anything wrong with a salvaged car, I just like people to know what they are buying. I know I would be pissed if I paid top dollar for a car only to find out it has a salvage title.

Sorry - I didn't mean to imply that you were implying that. Clearly the guy is asking a premium for the car - I'd be pissed if I paid that kind of money for a salvage car. You're performing an excellent service to the Buick community!

Jim

This is really great you are looking into this for folks. I know I'd appreciate knowing this. Maybe I'll have to give you my vin # always been curious about the history of the car. I did the car fax thing on it and was okay for the price. Don't all salvage titles say that when you get them? I know I bought a car with a known salvage title and it was a different color and had it printed clearly on it.

Originally posted by turbo6x2
I did the car fax thing on it and was okay for the price. Don't all salvage titles say that when you get them? I know I bought a car with a known salvage title and it was a different color and had it printed clearly on it.

Not necessarily. My '99 Buick is a rebuilt total from Maryland. Maryland evidently has a "really dead" and "sort of dead" titling scheme. My car, even though totaled by the insurance company, was only "sort of dead". It was repaired, inspected by Maryland, and a clean (non-salvage) title was issued. I titled it in NJ - clear title, too (FYI, in NJ there will be an "R" in the top right corner of the title indicating that the car is reconstructed).

Jim

There are lots of states left yet .... still issuing a clean title for an insurance rebuild. In fact unscrupulous dealers will buy a car with a salvage title, send it out of state to one of the states that doesn't issue salvage titles, have it titled there, then re-import it back into their state with a clean title.

I understand the feds are looking to pass legislation banning this practice. And they should.

Originally posted by turbo6x2
This is really great you are looking into this for folks. I know I'd appreciate knowing this...

Ditto, prop's to you Turboscott.