is a walbro 340 too much for my hot air?

fireberd350

racetronix has the 340/harness combo for $155 and its the same proce as if i bought a 307 and harness from another vendor....this is a daily driver and fuel economy is a concern....w does it matter what size it is or will it only pump as much fuel as the engine calls for?

The Walbro 340 + harness will not affect your mileage but it is overkill for a stock car.

If you are on a budget and you intend to leave your car as factory then perhaps you should consider a new Walbro GSS242M which is a 190L/hr pump. There is always the option of buying used but there will not be any warranty.

Racetronix

only problem with 340 is it over does the return line at low pressure so can cause rich condition at idle

the 242 pump is plenty and wont have that problem

Im now using a 242 primary and a 340 secondary on my d/p setup and works great

Compensating for a 340 shouldn't be a big problem.
You can use an AFPR,change the chip,or play with the TPS a little.
Add a cold air kit or an aftermarket exhaust and you'll need the pump anyway.
Be careful of the 242 as a primary pump in your system Red.
I had one 5 years ago from ATR[their "super pump" at the time],and within 6 months of install,the thing "calfed out".
The thing sounded like it was screaming outside the tank.
Literally.:eek:
You should have heard it.
I installed an OPS 307 and all was fine.
Ran great for 3 years until my 340 upgrade.
IMO,the 242 is just not a very sturdy pump.
A 307,if you don't want a 340 or will never push that hard[street only,lower boost] is a good choice.
However,if you *think maybe* in the future you might push things,then get a 340 and work with it.
It's not as tough as it sounds and it's nice to know it's there.
:)

Originally posted by The Radius Kid
IMO,the 242 is just not a very sturdy pump.:)

The GSS242M uses many of the same components as the GSS307M and GSS340M. The GSS242M is every bit as reliable as these other pumps. To pass judgment on all GSS242's w/o knowing specifically what caused yours to fail.... Racetronix has sold many of these pumps and their reliability rate is every bit as good as the others.

Racetronix does not sell the GSS307M pump for use in a F.I. car such as a TR for many good reasons which I have covered in previous posts. The small price difference between the GSS340M and the GSS307M makes it an easy purchasing decision.

Jack :cool:
Racetronix

Geez, the 340 isn't some sort of "nuclear" fuel pump! I put one on my flat-cammed, blown gasketed, exhaust leaking & otherwise worn-out & wheezy bone-stock hotair car 2 years before the crank finally went...

Overkill?? I noticed absolutely nothing different about how the car ran, how it idled, my gas mileage, NOTHING!

The ONLY difference was my peace of mind at knowing that after 4 previous pumps, I finally have a QUALITY fuel pump in that stupid gas tank, and I'll always have ample fuel pressure!

If you can get filet mignon for the price of a top sirloin, why not? ;)

Originally posted by Buick From Hell
Geez, the 340 isn't some sort of "nuclear" fuel pump! I put one on my flat-cammed, blown gasketed, exhaust leaking & otherwise worn-out & wheezy bone-stock hotair car 2 years before the crank finally went...

Overkill?? I noticed absolutely nothing different about how the car ran, how it idled, my gas mileage, NOTHING!

The ONLY difference was my peace of mind at knowing that after 4 previous pumps, I finally have a QUALITY fuel pump in that stupid gas tank, and I'll always have ample fuel pressure!

If you can get filet mignon for the price of a top sirloin, why not? ;)

Well said.
Did you use the hotwire kit?
May using the pump with the factory wiring would make the difference until you need to step up.
Sorry about the "dis" on the 242 Jack.
I've still got a bad taste in my mouth after what happened with it.
I'm sure they've got their act together by now.
I have to admit,it sure was fun slicing that sucker open though.
Surgery can be so much fun.:D

Originally posted by The Radius Kid
Sorry about the "dis" on the 242 Jack.
I've still got a bad taste in my mouth after what happened with it.
I'm sure they've got their act together by now.
I have to admit,it sure was fun slicing that sucker open though.
Surgery can be so much fun.:D

There have not been any design changes to the GSS242 so they are just as reliable now as they were back then. If your pump failed in six months then you should have sent it back for warranty as all Walbro pumps come with a one year warranty. At the same time someone who is experienced with these pumps could have given you insight as to why it failed.

Racetronix

Originally posted by Racetronix
There have not been any design changes to the GSS242 so they are just as reliable now as they were back then. If your pump failed in six months then you should have sent it back for warranty as all Walbro pumps come with a one year warranty. At the same time someone who is experienced with these pumps could have given you insight as to why it failed.

Racetronix

I wish I'd have known that back then.
ATR[at the time] told me there was no warranty.
Nice huh?
As to why it failed,I'm pretty sure it was the HP relief stuck open.
I probably could have fixed it,but I wasn't taking the chance on it.
BTW,pumps are part of my job.:)