Introduction and question on 87 turbo regal

Archer Fabrications

Merry Christmas eve guys! New here not sure if im in the right section. Ive got something i need input on, . Pretty clean paint and interior, with some CB radio junk. Has 97,000 miles (kind of up there in milage), and hasnt ran since 2000. Worth the restore? Need some opinions. This is a 1987 3.8 Turbo J47 Buick regal limited (has badge that says limited but j47 apparently isnt a limited?) i believe its 245hp. not quite sure on the potential value after restoration and its rareity? Apparently there are less then 3500 with these options? This was my grandfathers car. Any opinions? Thannks!
IMG_0800.JPG
IMG_0801.JPG
IMG_0802.JPG
IMG_0803.JPG
IMG_0804.JPG

Merry Christmas, is that an old cellphone?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Yes. It's a keeper. Worth restoring you ask?

Is it safe to say you got this car for free? If so, then Yes x 2 = Hell Yea!

Yes. It's a keeper. Worth restoring you ask?

Is it safe to say you got this car for free? If so, then Yes x 2 = Hell Yea!
Yeah it's free. Haha how rare is it? Not that I will be doing this but what would something like this fetch at auction like barrett jackson. Car is in washington but in living in scottsdale. I was considering making parts for it. I'm on instagram if anyone wants to see more pix

Last edited:
I don't know how rare it is. There are others here that those numbers mean a lot to them. Not to me. They might chime in.
But if this was any turbo Turbo Regal of any production number, it's still a keeper.

It's not that bad, it's free, and If you restore it along with making well chosen performance and reliability based modifications, you won't care about it's value either.

Because once you drive it that way............................you may never ever think of selling it.

Are you interested in it because it was your granddads or because you want money? Limiteds are rare, rarer that GNs but don't command the same price. Arizona GN is a vendor here. Nick can help you out getting it evaluated. There's no difference in the engine and running train from a GN with the Limited so all the performance potential is the same. Cleaned up and we'll running it might fetch 20k or more. Your not looking at 50k...

I'd say that car would be worth $15,000 in really good shape. There is a guy in my town trying to sell one for $12,000 it's been sitting along time.

There were 1035 turbo limiteds made in 1987. In pristine condition, it would be worth in the 20s easily, maybe more. They dont fetch GN money, but in 10 years, i feel the Ts and especially Limiteds will gain some ground on the GNs like how the 70s convertibles surpassed the hardtops.

There's a real nice t for sale right now to compare. If it was restored to that condition it might hit 20+, but it would cost more than that to get it to the shape that gem is in for sure.

Not sure where you got the J47 info from, but it's the 5th digit in the serial # the designates that it's a true LTD. And that is the letter "M"........which your has. And yes, as Rob mentioned, only 1035 were made in 1987. It's a keeper in my books. Code 19U for paint, which I believe is pretty rare as well.

Remove that car from the rainy wet climate where it is now & bring it to Az. Figure about $1K or a bit more for enclosed transport.

Carefully detail the car. Clean original condition often has more value than restored. A 30 year old car with less than 100K on the clock isn't bad. Be careful with the paint & the bumper fillers. The original paint was thin to begin with & the bumper fillers crack with age. Do not hit the car with rubbing compound or a buffer.

That's a nice looking LIMITED. Your Grandfather has good taste.

PS. Interesting to see a LIMITED with bucket seats & a center console.

If you plan to get it running, start with a new fuel tank, fuel pump and sender, and fuel filter.

Last month a customer had his GN towed here after sitting for 20 years. A new battery and fuel items like I mentioned, and the car started and ran. I also added a bottle of Lucas gas treatment, and drove it around the block,

I did also change oil/filter and trans fluid before starting it.

He has been driving it often, and of course on new tires!

Are you interested in it because it was your granddads or because you want money? Limiteds are rare, rarer that GNs but don't command the same price. Arizona GN is a vendor here. Nick can help you out getting it evaluated. There's no difference in the engine and running train from a GN with the Limited so all the performance potential is the same. Cleaned up and we'll running it might fetch 20k or more. Your not looking at 50k...
ID like to restore it for sentimental value but it needs a lot of work so I wanted to see if the ends justified the means. I'm a fabricator of exhaust parts and turbo systems and this car has always interested me. I jist dont wanna dump 10k+ into restoring a 3,000$ car if thats what it is. I honestly figured it was a 17-20k car in it's current state

Not sure where you got the J47 info from, but it's the 5th digit in the serial # the designates that it's a true LTD. And that is the letter "M"........which your has. And yes, as Rob mentioned, only 1035 were made in 1987. It's a keeper in my books. Code 19U for paint, which I believe is pretty rare as well.
It says j47 on the trunk tag in the top right corner is where I got it from. Posted in the pic

Remove that car from the rainy wet climate where it is now & bring it to Az. Figure about $1K or a bit more for enclosed transport.

Carefully detail the car. Clean original condition often has more value than restored. A 30 year old car with less than 100K on the clock isn't bad. Be careful with the paint & the bumper fillers. The original paint was thin to begin with & the bumper fillers crack with age. Do not hit the car with rubbing compound or a buffer.

That's a nice looking LIMITED. Your Grandfather has good taste.

PS. Interesting to see a LIMITED with bucket seats & a center console.
Pretty sure he ordered it with what ever options he wanted lol he had a few of these and this is the only one left. Thanks for your inout everyone I appreciate it! First step I'll get it to AZ and see how things go. I'll wash it and clean the interior and I'll be able to better know where it stands. I didn't plan to paint it. But possibly make an exhaust and manifold and intercooler setup for it. ID keep the origional parts if ever needed to part with if. Needs new tires for sure battery, all fluids changed and a new complete fuel system in sure.

Just my opinion on the economics of this car with about 100K miles, it would be in the range of $15K, and you will put $5k in it at that level with the items I mentioned but it should also have a timing chain replaced, as well as many other items since it is over 30 years old.

One of my turbo cars is a 1987 Limited, extremely nice with many unique performance and trim parts, it might bring $25k, the engine alone is over $10K to duplicate, not to mention the Stage 3 trans, Dakota dash and a FAST XFI!

LIMITED.jpg

Pretty sure he ordered it with what ever options he wanted lol he had a few of these and this is the only one left. Thanks for your inout everyone I appreciate it! First step I'll get it to AZ and see how things go. I'll wash it and clean the interior and I'll be able to better know where it stands. I didn't plan to paint it. But possibly make an exhaust and manifold and intercooler setup for it. ID keep the origional parts if ever needed to part with if. Needs new tires for sure battery, all fluids changed and a new complete fuel system in sure.

Might consider leaving it as original as possible & listen to Nick.

Have it professionally cleaned & detailed.

This is another good place to look into: http://www.penskesocial.com/penske-automotive’s-scottsdale-101-auto-collection-turns-10/

Rumor has it that Turbo Regals are known there.

PS. It's interesting how many LIMITEDS are in Washington & Oregon. Your Grandfather's would be about #5 or #6 that I've seen from the PNW.