Intrepid fan motor wires

lost2a6

I'm going to be installing 2000 Intrepid fans on my GN. What I have noticed is, there appears to be two hot wires on the motors, Green and tan along with a ground. When I apply 12 vdc to either one of the wires, the fan seems to be on high. What would be the purpose of the second wire, would one of them go back to the ECM to verify that the motor is running? Thanks!

I will have to look at mine to see which wires i used, but with mine one was high, one was low. No return to ecm.

See Post #5 in this thread...

http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/intrepid-fan-wiring.373784/#post-2984294

I just got done making up a custom harness (actually, I modified an old Caspers harness) for my Ramchargers fans. When the low-speed relay turns on, it will energize the green wire on the Ramchargers (Intrepid) fans, which runs them at low speed. When the high-speed relay turns on, it will energize the yellow wire on the Ramchargers (Intrepid) fans. At that point, both the low and high relays are on, which means that both the green and yellow wires are getting juice, which runs the fans at high speed.

In summary: green only = low-speed. Green and yellow together = high speed.

My chip will turn the low-speed relay on at 176. I just ordered the coolant temperature switch at the link below (haven't installed it yet), which will turn the high-speed relay on at 195. Either or both relays can also be triggered by the stock A/C high-pressure switch located near the compressor.

http://rodneydickman.com/n20.html

Hope this helps...

See Post #5 in this thread...

http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/intrepid-fan-wiring.373784/#post-2984294

I just got done making up a custom harness (actually, I modified an old Caspers harness) for my Ramchargers fans. When the low-speed relay turns on, it will energize the green wire on the Ramchargers (Intrepid) fans, which runs them at low speed. When the high-speed relay turns on, it will energize the yellow wire on the Ramchargers (Intrepid) fans. At that point, both the low and high relays are on, which means that both the green and yellow wires are getting juice, which runs the fans at high speed.

In summary: green only = low-speed. Green and yellow together = high speed.

My chip will turn the low-speed relay on at 176. I just ordered the coolant temperature switch at the link below (haven't installed it yet), which will turn the high-speed relay on at 195. Either or both relays can also be triggered by the stock A/C high-pressure switch located near the compressor.

http://rodneydickman.com/n20.html

Hope this helps...
That helps a lot. Thanks!!!

Are these fans a direct bolt on?
They will fit as far as size wise, however the ears will have to be cut off and some sort of small brackets fabed up to hold them. Then the wiring will have to be addressed. I'm going to wire mine so that one fan will run on high when the ECM commands it to, and then have the other come on high with the A/C on, or high temp command. I have a bypass switch in my console that I can toggle and it will tell both fans to run when the ECM commands just for one. Each fan will have its own relay, thus utilizing the factory relays. I didn't like the idea of double stacking relays, meaning having to still use the factory relays and installing additional fan relays. My car has enough relays as it is.

They will fit as far as size wise, however the ears will have to be cut off and some sort of small brackets fabed up to hold them. Then the wiring will have to be addressed. I'm going to wire mine so that one fan will run on high when the ECM commands it to, and then have the other come on high with the A/C on, or high temp command. I have a bypass switch in my console that I can toggle and it will tell both fans to run when the ECM commands just for one. Each fan will have its own relay, thus utilizing the factory relays. I didn't like the idea of double stacking relays, meaning having to still use the factory relays and installing additional fan relays. My car has enough relays as it is.

I think that's a good way to go and it's how we set up our dual fans. Low runs one fan, high or a/c runs both.