Internal Conflict

sowle

I wanted to post this here because this is my favorite forum on any of the Gbody sites. Even though I don't participate much here it is the "pre-injected era" that most interests me. I believe these are the neatest of the A-G body for sake of argument. I am also fascinated by Wonder of performance potential.. It seems endless yet constricted. So many ways to make power. So many ways to be improved but I'm a stickler on keeping things the way they were. If you change things to much they lose what character they had the set them apart.
My most prized project -my 79 Regal Limited FACTORY 4SPEED. I am currently swapping the "A" code original 3.8 to a SBB 350.
The delema is do I keep the original engine or do I scrap it? I have in the past read where there maybe plant codes -date codes -sequential vin codes and or etc? that should match the car. I am unsure the car will ever have good value to make worth keeping "the junk" around. I have a GM document stating the car is 1 of 297 equipped 4speed Regals for 79. The original cam gear shucked it's plastic teeth and otherwise it was running well. None of the casting numbers are the "upgrade" factory parts. In the future I was thinking of posting updates on the project here, even though it is not and wasn't turbo.
Opinions???????

Last edited:
Sure! Why not?
There just may be owners of the other 297 built, that are lurking....

1 of only 297? Pretty dang rare . Sounds like a really interesting piece of history / ride. Collectors like that. Keep all the numbers matching stuff. Keep the danged thing.

Does anyone know where the date codes are on the engine for 79? They are not in the same place as the later engines.

Found.
20160911_180208.jpg