Interior Updates.

Red79Rat

79 GS
Hello, I have a 79 Regal that I want to do some interior updates on, I have an 87 Grand National steering wheel thats going in, I've pretty much got that all figured out so I dont need help with that but I also want to put a Grand National instrument panel in, is that as simple as changing the dash panels and hooking it all up or is it more complicated than that. I also want to get rid of the bench seat and go with buckets in the front, I think I'm going with aftermatket sport seats but does anyone know where I can get a G-Body console? I have a red interior and i can't find junk cars that have a red console anywhere and I can't seem to find reproductions. One more thing, im looking at an 84 Turbo Regal hood on craigslist, will it fit my earlier car and what gets me is the guy wants 100 bucks for it, does that sound too low? Thanks for any help.

Sorry but you're stuck. You could put an aftermarket GNX dash in but the 2K to make it work just isn't worth it. There's very little in the way of additions you can do that aren't mechanical. If you decide to upgrade the engine with one of the SFI units you could do it but you'll need the entire harness from front to back as well as the engine and transmission.

Hello, I have a 79 Regal that I want to do some interior updates on, I have an 87 Grand National steering wheel thats going in, I've pretty much got that all figured out so I dont need help with that but I also want to put a Grand National instrument panel in, is that as simple as changing the dash panels and hooking it all up or is it more complicated than that. I also want to get rid of the bench seat and go with buckets in the front, I think I'm going with aftermatket sport seats but does anyone know where I can get a G-Body console? I have a red interior and i can't find junk cars that have a red console anywhere and I can't seem to find reproductions. One more thing, im looking at an 84 Turbo Regal hood on craigslist, will it fit my earlier car and what gets me is the guy wants 100 bucks for it, does that sound too low? Thanks for any help.

the 84 hood wont fit on your car... and I wish you had talked to me a week ago, we had a regal with red interior that got scrapped...:frown: charlies right, it would take some work to get that GN cluster to work. you could make one that would look similar to the one on the GNx for pretty cheap using guages from Autozone or Orieleys.

A interior color change is fairly easy. They sell dyes that can be sprayed on to change the color. I would just find someone’s ratted up 86/87 center consol and dye it to your color.

Do you have a split bench or a reguar bench? If you have a normal bench you will need to weld in inner support brackets. Same goes for center console brackets.

As for console, I would look for one from either a cutlass or a grand prix. The cutlasses got the high arm rest and the GP's got the cool wrap around one.

Im glad I have an olds sometimes. At least there is a REAL guage cluter available. Tach, speedo, oil, water and volt guages.

picture834.jpg

I do like that Cutlass rally dash, I looked into that at one point untill I found out its to wide to fit in the Regal dash. I have been looking at old junk Cutlasses for a console but most of them are blue. I did have my eye on an 83 Hurst/Olds with a red interior that was all there except for the motor (still even had the lightning rods!) guy wanted 1000 for it but I let it go by like a dummy. Oh well hindsight is 20/20. Thanks for all you guys' help.

Well you can use it but you'd need to change the entire dash out to do it. That's one option.

I love the 79-83 dashes. they to me are a work of art, and people trash our dashes. its pretty hard to find a dash bezel that accomidates the clock and a factory turbo guage (the 5 pod bezel) If i had the option, i would paint it to look like a grand national bezel, but have the look of the 83, similar to what the 82 grand national had.

If you can get ANY g body console for less than $50 it is a good deal if its not cracked. Even if it is cracked a bit its fine. Dont be put off by the color, SEM paint is good stuff and with a bit of prep work will look great and will match if you get the right color. I used 2 cans of SEM to paint my black carpet light grey and it worked great. Saved $150 over a new one.

Thanks for all the help guys. I guess since a GN dash isnt worth fitting into my car I have been considering sending the guages to Redline Guage Works out in CA. Does anybody have any expearence with them? What do they charge and how is their service?

Thanks for all the help guys. I guess since a GN dash isnt worth fitting into my car I have been considering sending the guages to Redline Guage Works out in CA. Does anybody have any expearence with them? What do they charge and how is their service?

see if you can find a place that can custom engrave some metal to make your current dash look like a grand national. Take a look at some 1982 grand natonal dash pics, the bezels would look similar to that on our cars.