Interesting article on 82 1/2 GN not T-Type

ChavoLC2

Someone mentioned the other day there were no articles in GM HighPerformance about are bleoved Buicks. I was bummed too because I have a monthly subscription and it's always about Camaros, ZO6, Firechickens.

Anyway today I was at Barnes& Noble and happend to pickup a Mag I usually never pickup the front cover was about the Boss 302 being back. So thumbing thru the pages come across a 4-5 page article with pics about the 1st GN's. The article starts off saying before all the NAYSAYERS say it was a Myth and start running off. The car was the Limited edition GrandNational made in 1982.5. it said most will argue that the car doesn't exist that the GN was produced between 84-87. That this GN next to the LaSabre GN it is the next RAREST GN.

Buick had I believe a company named Car and Customs build this special GN they were just going to make 100 but turned out to be around 210. The article Talks about the Day /Year of the Regal , How Richard Petty won one of his 7 Championships in a Regal at the Daytona 500 that year. That year Buick won something like 26 races out of 34 races that year. Won the Manufactures Award etc,etc...Talks about DW, Bobby Allison and all those guys who run Buicks actually more then half the field ran Buicks. The Buick wind tunnel coeffiecent kicked but back in the day.

Goes on and says NASCAR sued Buick because the GrandNational name was Copyrighted by them. Well the outfit that was contracted to make these GNs, come out/designed the stacked Grand National checkered flag emblem we now have with the power6 that design didn't infringe on NASCAR's copyright design.

Anyway the car is Beautiful this guys does in fact have a Turbo 3.8(less then 50 cars came with 3.8) a blow thru to Rochester the gearing is 3.02 or something like that the other engines,and the 4.1 came with a 3.23 in the rear, they all have T-Tops are SilverMist and Charcoal with handpainted red pinstripping, they have a rearspoiler and 3m decal that say Buick on the rear quarter.

They finish by saying when GN collectors realize there is such a beast out there that all GN's weren't Black they will be happy when they find one of these Rare 82 1/2 GNs.

Forgot the mag is Oct 2007 issue of Muscle Machines the front cover has a Pic of a 69 Boss 302 and a 2007 or 2008 Boss 302 cars are yellow with the distinctive stripping abd 302 badging. This maybe Old Shoe to some it was a good read though! Didn't have the cash on me to buy the Mag. so some of the details maybe off a tad. I read this article 3 hours ago and I can't remember what my wife told me 5 minutes ago.

That's a pretty darn good magazine. They talk quite often about the GN's and T-Types in almost every issue. Besides, my GN is in the last issue!!;)

Ken B.

Muscle Machines your GN Featured

Your car is in the Sept 2007 issue ? That's Cool your car is Nice enough to be featured in a mag. I'll have to look for it try and find last issue. Didn't realize they have more articles on GNs and T-Types then GM High Performance.. When GMHP does they do a good job. So Ken what do you think about the article on the 82.5 GN,???? Like that 2 tone SilverMist and Charcoal. My Gn is silver now maybe I'll get somone to shoot charcoal on her and do a lil red pinstripping, have the same guy who did Speedy Gonzales for me.

Yep, Sept 07 issue page 94. Was fighting a 20mph headwind and couldn't launch with my crappy 'street tires'!! The issue has a red 70 Chevelle SS on the cover, can't miss it. The writers have a lot of respect for Turbo Regals so they talk about them quite a bit and even feature them sometimes. Really great magazine and they feature a lot of 80's-90's muscle also!! I really liked the article on the 82 GN. Those are really nice cars and I had a chance about 10 years ago to buy a TURBOCHARGED version that was in real good shape! But, I had to many toys and, well you no the rest of the story. Nice talking to ya............................Ken B.

Yes, Muscle Machines and Musclecar Review has had more TR stuff this year than GM High Tech F-Bodies. MM and MR are great mags.

The company was Cars & Concepts.They also did the 86-87 MCSS Aerocoupe and 86 GP 2+2 conversions. As far as I know Petty only won one race in a Regal. It was his 199th in the 81 Daytona 500 IIRC. Thats the race were Ronald Reagon flew in to catch the last 10 laps or so. Somewhere there is a pic of the #43 Regal flying down the superstretch with Air Force 1 landing in the background. I'd like to find that pic. It would make a great poster.

Richard Petty in a Regal racing AirForce1

TurboFish38 this is for you bro!;) Cool pic! TurboFish3.8 they have some large posters at E-bay under Nascar just type in Richard Petty and AirForce1 poster says 200th win and it was at Daytona. Only $15.00 HTH

Attachments

• Richard Petty Airforce1.jpg
    Richard Petty Airforce1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 124
That car is sweet

that 82 gn is a pittsburgh car really nice for its age!!

What is funny the guy has had a power steering leak for years. He said that when he went to try and fix it that there was so many wires and lines he just left it alone. The car is a Turbo 3.8 , could only adjust Boost to 8psi. Seriously thinkin of painting my car like the 1st GN's there are Neat/clean lookin. Car is already silver shoot a little Charcoal on the top and bottom. Might be able to talk/beg Roc87 into shooting it. He did a awesome job on his Elky basically same two tone type design.

What is funny the guy has had a power steering leak for years. He said that when he went to try and fix it that there was so many wires and lines he just left it alone. The car is a Turbo 3.8 , could only adjust Boost to 8psi. Seriously thinkin of painting my car like the 1st GN's there are Neat/clean lookin. Car is already silver shoot a little Charcoal on the top and bottom. Might be able to talk/beg Roc87 into shooting it. He did a awesome job on his Elky basically same two tone type design.

yeah the guy live like 25 min away from me! he has a nice light blue T and other cars as well

For Sale

6bquik You ought to see what he'd want for that 25 year old anemic GN. He probably wouldn't part with it which I can't blame him.