Intercooling a hot air

Maddox Racing

I know I've read something on here about it before but is there a way to add an intercooler to help cool the air without completely changing to the 86-87 setup? I saw something about it on the gnttype website but all of the links for the suppliers of these kits seem to be out business.

Most are out of business. You can put a wanted ad and try to find one that way. Or, you can stick hot air and make smart choices on parts and get the car faster without converting. What do you have done to your car so far? What are your plans? Lots of guys have converted, myself included, who wish they would have stuck it out as hor air. I wish I would have maxed out the hot air before considering going to IC'ed. There are good parts available, and a handful of guys running 10's still hot air. Better turbo, ported heads, ported throttle body, alky injection, turbotweak chip with matching injectors, convert to 87 MAF and ECM, find good used aftermarket headers, up pipe, and down pipe, or have one made, etc, etc. All this should only come after upgraded fuel pump, way to monitor and/or record whats going on during a run, etc.

Read as much as you can in this section prior to jumping in any direction. Many guys have gone before you in most any direction you take.

All I've got done so far is a 160 degree thermostat and I'm getting ready to order a walbro fuel pump. I'm just exploring my options as to whether or not go hot air or intercooled. I didn't want to completely convert to intercooled. I would like to make around 500 rwhp. I know its going to take a lot of money but what car project doesn't. I want it to be a good street car, not necessarily a track car.

All I've got done so far is a 160 degree thermostat and I'm getting ready to order a walbro fuel pump. I'm just exploring my options as to whether or not go hot air or intercooled. I didn't want to completely convert to intercooled. I would like to make around 500 rwhp. I know its going to take a lot of money but what car project doesn't. I want it to be a good street car, not necessarily a track car.

Plain and simple your goals are unrealistic......period. You say you don't want a track car but want 500 hp to the wheels. That's no small feat even for an 86-87 Turbo Buick.

Not trying to be an arse but don't want to see you get misled on an endless quest of parts, parts, and more parts.

Start Small

You have quite a bit of mods that are much less expensive than adding an inner cooler.

There are several Hot Air receipe's on this site that can give you mod list for a very fast street car.

Dont get caught up in the HP trap. GN's have been cars in the 1/4 with larger HP remember there are many varibles. Read as much as you can on this site to get as much of those varibles correctly and for little money as possible.

The very next step you should do is go out and get an cold air intake that is really going to wake up your car for an fairly reasonble cost.

..... Or, you can stick hot air and make smart choices on parts and get the car faster without converting. ...........
Read as much as you can in this section prior to jumping in any direction. Many guys have gone before you in most any direction you take.

...... Dont get caught up in the HP trap. GN's have been cars in the 1/4 with larger HP remember there are many varibles. Read as much as you can on this site to get as much of those varibles correctly and for little money as possible. . . .

. . . . don't want to see you get misled on an endless quest of parts, parts, and more parts.

X2 :eek: :D :cool:
Interestingly enough, I just spend an hour reading the "V8 COnversion thread" in the lounge.

What is came down to is: Average Joe Shmo knows nothing about the car, runs 12’s in their IC car, talks to some buddies / internet experts, and he is told to convert to a turbo LS motor which will be faster and cheaper, and do 1000 RWHP "easy".

Parallel as stated in the thread, as I have said before in this section, on this board :eek::
Running 10's in an IC'd car is cool, but running it HA form is impressive!

There is a time and place for everything. The first thing is a realistic goal, AND a budget.
It gets easier once you understand the variables that make power.

OP, read the sticky and ready the thread about Jamie.
As JayC would say: "End of thread." :eek:

X2 :eek: :D :cool:
Interestingly enough, I just spend an hour reading the "V8 COnversion thread" in the lounge.

What is came down to is: Average Joe Shmo knows nothing about the car, runs 12’s in their IC car, talks to some buddies / internet experts, and he is told to convert to a turbo LS motor which will be faster and cheaper, and do 1000 RWHP "easy".

Parallel as stated in the thread, as I have said before in this section, on this board :eek::
Running 10's in an IC'd car is cool, but running it HA form is impressive!

There is a time and place for everything. The first thing is a realistic goal, AND a budget.
It gets easier once you understand the variables that make power.

OP, read the sticky and ready the thread about Jamie.
As JayC would say: "End of thread." :eek:

I have to agree with you Jerryl. Jamie has proven that it can be done if you're willing to spend the time and money to understand how to do it. It isn't easy but if you do it then a bunch of people will be trying to figure out how you did.:biggrin: