Intercooling a 1985 Grand National?

Cobin

I have a 1985 Grand National, and was wondering how hard it would be to add a intercooler? Can I buy one off a 86-87 GN, or an aftermarket one?

Thanks

Originally posted by BlackBuick84
do a search here in the hot air forum for the IC conversion, plenty of threads

Is it worth it to put one in? I notice alot of guys in this forum don't have added intercoolers, thats the only big difference between 85-87 right? I mean besides new heads etc.

Sorry to post again

But, I don't have the 85 GN yet, I am going to buy it, and I am wondering if a 85 is that much different from an 87. It has 53 thousand miles and in excellent condition, I am willing to mod it all out and everything, but is it much slower then a 87,even if I add a intercooler?

Re: Sorry to post again

Originally posted by Cobin
But, I don't have the 85 GN yet, I am going to buy it, and I am wondering if a 85 is that much different from an 87. It has 53 thousand miles and in excellent condition, I am willing to mod it all out and everything, but is it much slower then a 87,even if I add a intercooler?
84/85s have no IC, 200hp/300ft-lbs, restrictive stock intake, i've heard ETs of mid to low 15s. Nick(ttype84) has gone into the 13s basically stock. so they have potential if you tune good

86/87s have the IC, better intake, and bigger turbo. rated at 245hp/3??ft-lbs in 87. But probably closer to 275hp range...stock the IC'd ones have run low 14s/high 13s. Some have taken them completely stock in the low low 12s. Not too stinkin bad.

I personally wont IC mine coz its "giving in". Hot airs dont get any respect so most guys try to go at it w/o an IC. IMO, all the piping on the conversion looks horrible.....Uh....i completely lost my train of thought, someone fill in what i missed

Well IMO, I dont think that going the I/C route is "giving in". I mean I dont really see what the big deal is, its not like Im putting a different engine from a different maker in it or something. I see it pretty much as fighting fire with fire. Im in the middle of doing a Ford I/C install on my t-type and I wouldnt do it if I didnt think it was worth it. The alky or propane route is fine and all but I honestly think that they dont even match up to the capabilities of an I/C. Now dont get me wrong, I think that it is really good that there are alot of guys out there that choose to keep their hot-air cars exactly what it is... a hot-air car. The performance levels that some guys reach w/o an I/C is outstanding. But for me, I chose the I/C route because I feel that it is one of the best bang for the buck mods you can make to a hot-air car. So do some research, and decide what you feel is best for what your goals are with your car. Because with these cars, there are LOTS of options!!!:cool:

Just got a spearco add-on, looks like it's going to be a nightmare, but to swap an 86-87 you have to switch over a bunch of stuff. So it's kind of an ointment or suppositories situation.

Swapping in an 86-87 is relatively easy. Just be sure you have the complete wiring harness and computer. The IC and all the parts should be there too. The oil filter has lines that go to an oil cooler that is built into the stock radiator but an auxiliary oil cooler will work. You will have to switch to an electric fan. It is not cheap. The Spearco IC is a good part. Don't be afraid to tackle the installation. It is not that hard. If you bought the Buick you are up to the job. GOOD LUCk!

Lawrence

Trust me...its not that difficult. I can personally tell you what is involved. Just dont give up on that non-intercooled setup though. It is more capable than a lot of people give it credit for. I converted my car for several reasons...availability of parts was the major reason...but I already knew that a hot-air car could go faster than I have gone with my intercooled setup. The big problem on the hotair cars is the intake. It SUCKS. You have to make everything else work at its best. You should have no problem taking a hotair setup into the 13's with very little work.
Talk to Nick....he has done a good job.
Jeff

With my initial mods on a completely stock motor (did have the ta33 upgrade, I went 13.7 in street trim and bad tranny and no posi. The only frustrating thing is I upgraded to 87ecm and maf, translator, etc. And I haven't went any faster. But I haven't had a chance to really get it tuned in. I went faster when I shut the alky off. I'm getting posi in this week and going to get some tuning done. I should be low 13's. Hey why not a high 12????

well switching to a 87 ecm and maf with translator really isnt gunna improve preformance

switching to the 87 ecm is just gonna allow to get your paws on more chips and allow you to use scanmaster v2

the translator just lets those impala mafs work with your regal
the translator basically just allows you to use an impala maf, cuz its hard to come by a factory direct Maf for a turbo regal these days
i also heard that if u switch ecms and use the hot aired maf, it tends to make your car run rich, but i am not positive on that

if your trying to get power out of air induction,
its a tad pricey, but get that hot-aired regal
big mouthed- cold air kit from www.buickgn.com

thats a nice peice and really increase your air flow
the stock air box contraption is reall restrictive and your not getting alot of cold air from it, cuz its right next to the motor
if u thouight yer car whistled with the stocker , wait to u try that 1 lol

maybe ill take some pics if your interested in seeing it
lemme know
mail me or something

brian

Throw a Spearco IC on it. It a day's work if you've never worked on a car before. I installed my old IC on a friend's car in ~2hrs. After that, nearly every mod will give you a larger gain.