Intercooler Selection question

Originally posted by lazaris
Havent you "professed' about the Cottons "advantages" with your testing? I dont think it casts doubt on your objectivity.

Back to back tests should be repeated something like 3 passes for each IC. Same car same day.

The problem is with all the different turbos and combinations out there. The data collected would not be accurate for that reason when comparing the different IC's performance, which goes back to what the original question on this topic is about..

Have I?.
All I've done is stated the facts of the matter. I've done no comparing other then in the testing I did. I posted data logs to show where OTHER claims that have been made thate were guestionable.

No where have I said one is better then another. I've just pointed out what the trends have been that I've experienced, and been able to document.

There have been others that have alledged various *facts*, and I've, IMO, shown data to suggest otherwise.

I haven't posed as an authority, or proclaimed one better then the other, now have I?.

Now why is it that for you, *something like 3* runs is enough?. Do you want to toss the high and low, or do an average?. Or have 3 to average which makes needing to do 5 runs. Why not 7?. Are 5 runs even enough to pronounce something as absolute fact?, which is what some people seem to want?.

Stating the differences, and observations related to those items, IMO, is just stating facts. I thought the idea here was about having facts.

Originally posted by gnjones231
Hey Bruce, I would like to answer your question, but this really isn't the place to do it. If you would like to start another thread on the subject of injector DC (duty cycle) I could answer it there. But, in all fairness, if you start another thread, be prepaired to present you own data on the subject. And be prepaired to discuss the type of fluid media used, calibration factors, pressure control, injector voltage control, pulse width and duty cycle control. We can also discuss what happens at low DC and
pulse widths, which is the other end of the spectrum. We can also discuss injector transform functions in case anyone wants to build a miles/gallon meter. Let me know if you are gonna start another discussin thread so I don't miss it.

Dave

The thread is:

Injector Flow/ Duty Cycles

I actually posted quite a bit of data here, so you must not have been talking about me. The rest of you guys better get on the ball!

David Buschur

Bruce.

I am curious what type of testing did you do before buying cotton's intercooler I mean how did you make your choice. If testing is an important thing to you what testing was done before purchase was it price? performance? their are smaller intercoolers and their are bigger intercoolers please tell it was not because it only takes 1 bolt to mount it.

Originally posted by bruce
Have I?.
All I've done is stated the facts of the matter. I've done no comparing other then in the testing I did. I posted data logs to show where OTHER claims that have been made thate were guestionable.

No where have I said one is better then another. I've just pointed out what the trends have been that I've experienced, and been able to document.

There have been others that have alledged various *facts*, and I've, IMO, shown data to suggest otherwise.

I haven't posed as an authority, or proclaimed one better then the other, now have I?.

Now why is it that for you, *something like 3* runs is enough?. Do you want to toss the high and low, or do an average?. Or have 3 to average which makes needing to do 5 runs. Why not 7?. Are 5 runs even enough to pronounce something as absolute fact?, which is what some people seem to want?.

Stating the differences, and observations related to those items, IMO, is just stating facts. I thought the idea here was about having facts.

You said:
"IMO, the answer is Cotton's. The PS for one, wouldn't even fit in my car, since my radiator's wider then the stocker. Not to mention that once I held one up to the car, I just didn't want to cut up that much of the car, and have to mess with the headlight buckets".

I thought that was a profession..Sorry.

I never said 3 runs for each was "enough", just that it would be a good test. Especially if your comparing 2 different IC's on the same car same day. Which again, was what the original quested asked in this post was about.

Why is it you say you have done no comparing, then a few sentences later say you have shown data to suggest otherwise. Thats a comparision to me.

You say others have "alledged" various facts do you mean Joe from PTE? I think he gave you facts. It appears you dont believe them. You know someone could say your facts are alledged too, which by the way I dont believe.

Originally posted by baadgn
Bruce.
I am curious what type of testing did you do before buying cotton's intercooler I mean how did you make your choice. If testing is an important thing to you what testing was done before purchase was it price? performance? their are smaller intercoolers and their are bigger intercoolers please tell it was not because it only takes 1 bolt to mount it.

To condense ~5 years of GN ideas, into a few paragraphs:

In addition to tinkering on the GN I was really involved with a Pulling Tractor for a few years, and an oem turbo program in the late 70s. In the class the tractor ran, no intercooling was allowed, but water injection was. being hobbyists, durability and reliability were paramount, so we put ALOT of time into refining the water injection. That's when I first stumbled on the NACA papers. Between those papers and having already read Harry Ricardo's High Speed Internal Combustion Engine, I wanted to try WI, and see where'd it get me. I'd also read Max Boost and a few other books on the subject. While Mr Bell was spot on about mentioning Interheaters, I didn't agree with his conclusion of WI being a *bandaid for a poorly designed system*. Then there were some online discussions.

So I remounted the MAT/IAT, into the plenum, and started data logging. So tried with and without fan, then with and without shroud. Then repeated most all of the above with a big neck.
Then took the intercooler off and ran a U-Pipe from the turbo to the TB, and ran a 7th injector full time. Again, a bunch of data logs. Then added a used AI kit, and more data logs seeing what the MATs did.

In the mean while had done a few chips for friends, and saw what it took to get the AE right for running a F/M.

Finally, got the AI, to where I wanted it.
But, it took alot of alky to get the temps I wanted. And there was just no way to store enough alky for the way I wanted to run it.

Then at BG I talked to alot of people, and looked at their cars.
Last year, I took my WB, and spent a day plus making short hops with a few folks to see what they're AFRs were, and offer the guys a *reading* on where they were.

I've also spent alot of time looking at DS files for guys. And often they seemed to lean out as the car goes down the track.
Also, takled to some guys that had some serious head gasket collections.

In working with the Syclone ecm, I saw much fuel was needed to keep a motor at it's commanded AFR, as a function of MATs. It was a shock to see how much it took. The GM cal, was way lean, and I wound up adding a bunch of MAT fuel at the higher temps..

Running without, the 7th injector, and AI, I started to see MATs of 210dF +.

Also, seeing Cal use AI only and make some serious HP, was a validation of what I was working on.

At first I had bought a IH Truck intercooler, that was a matter of convience. But, it would have taken adding new side tanks to get it the way I wanted, and it just was too much of a hassle. Then I bought a PS again, more on it having as much frontal area as possible, and least cost. *Luckily* I had an oversized rad, and the PS wouldn't fit.

So while it took some more saving, in order to get the max amount of *frontal area*, and knowing what I'd need to do tune wise, Cotton's was the only choice that made sense to me.

The reason that I might seem Pro Cotton's is that I did my homework, and spent alot of time gathering info. (as much first hand as I could). And have seen the results of what **Good** really is. I've actually wasted enough money, buying parts twice, and was just hoping to save some people some aggravation. I've done the baby steps, on injectors and wasted alot of monwy following conventional *wisdom*.

You might note, that I raised some issues, about intercooler design that while not entirely *my ideas*, I see that no one else around here has mentioned them and they seem to be important.

The timer I use for measuring performance doesn't translate into much other then for my own studies. It runs off the VSS, and counts tire revolutions. This way, I can ignore the first couple of tire rotations, and get a pretty accurate comparison to other runs of mine.

That's the short of it.......

Now, the trick is trying to get the MATs to or below ambient. and min heat soaking of intake tract.

Well I guess I will just have to hang out with all the slow uninformed guys. Just bought a PTE FM. What a beautiful piece! Also bought a PTE 70mm upper w/power plate which has a little bit of data to back it's claims. Now lets go to the track and have fun.

Originally posted by bruce
So while it took some more saving, in order to get the max amount of *frontal area*, and knowing what I'd need to do tune wise, Cotton's was the only choice that made sense to me.

The reason that I might seem Pro Cotton's is that I did my homework, and spent alot of time gathering info. (as much first hand as I could). And have seen the results of what **Good** really is. I've actually wasted enough money, buying parts twice, and was just hoping to save some people some aggravation. I've done the baby steps, on injectors and wasted alot of monwy following conventional *wisdom*.

Now, the trick is trying to get the MATs to or below ambient. and min heat soaking of intake tract.

Bruce
Why was Cottons the only choice that made sense did he have data to back up the efficiency of the intercooler you had other choices why buy his with no data backup it wasnt the biggest so if i was in the market for a new intercooler what would be the reason that you would tell me to go ahead and buy jacks the fact that it is on an 8 sec car its easy to mount it fits properly which buy the way all of these statments are true. But I would still like your data based decision on why you chose jacks and then claim its " GOOD" when you have not tested DQ or Precisions intercoolers

Originally posted by baadgn
Bruce
Why was Cottons the only choice that made sense did he have data to back up the efficiency of the intercooler you had other choices why buy his with no data backup it wasnt the biggest so if i was in the market for a new intercooler what would be the reason that you would tell me to go ahead and buy jacks the fact that it is on an 8 sec car its easy to mount it fits properly which buy the way all of these statments are true. But I would still like your data based decision on why you chose jacks and then claim its " GOOD" when you have not tested DQ or Precisions intercoolers

In the mean while had done a few chips for friends, and saw what it took to get the AE right for running a F/M.
Then at BG I talked to alot of people, and looked at their cars.
Last year, I took my WB, and spent a day plus making short hops with a few folks to see what they're AFRs were, and offer the guys a *reading* on where they were.

I've also spent alot of time looking at DS files for guys. And often they seemed to lean out as the car goes down the track.
Also, takled to some guys that had some serious head gasket collections.

Thought that pretty well covered.
Looking at a few DS files, means I lost count. If you hunt back in the Scan Tool section, there was a small library of DS files, hosted by one of the members.

Why not ask why I haven't tested every turbo, injector, cam combination?. Just takes, time, energy, and money. BTW, I've just mentioned the data from testing on my car, remember the mention of being in BG, and having my WB, and getting to ride in some different cars?. I'll just say that it was educational, and I'm not going to give others hard work away, suffice to say thou, some people were using alot more fuel then others, and that would be an indicator that they're using fuel for in-cylinder cooling.

How about asking those running other intercoolers to post some data?. So far my requests, have been on deaf ears.
Might ask them to do a run without any intercooler, and post that data along with data from an intercooled run, so that on an individual case, others could look at the results, and see the temps involved.

the big dog ha or yuor the man

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Nick,

Can you give us a little more in detail info on these tests, when they were done, what the performance gains or losses were, (ET, MPH) what size turbos, engine and recipe combo, etc....... Also, can you tell us what the core you will be using is rated at for HP and whether it is bar and plate or tube and fin?
thanks

PHP:
 Our data shows big difference in PTE, Cotton's and the PS.

In one case we replaced the PTE with a PS and everything else was the same. Boost increased 4 psi which indicates less restriction in the PS. 

Temps in the plenum with the PS have been much less than PTE and slightly less than Cotton's on the same day/track.

Our data shows big difference in PTE, Cotton's and the PS.

i believe i may have one of these powerstrokes that Nick speaks of in my car right now got it from him a year ago, the end tanks are modified to Enter/ exit straight out the ends instead of the normal 90 degree bend to the rear on theses intercoolers

So Which is the best over all intercooler. This info must be updated. All I see is talk about PTE, Cottons, and PS. What about others like RJC's Mega Intercooler any others that members might be using?
Can anyone shed some NEW light on this subject?

So Which is the best over all intercooler. This info must be updated. All I see is talk about PTE, Cottons, and PS. What about others like RJC's Mega Intercooler any others that members might be using?
Can anyone shed some NEW light on this subject?

If you like,we can meet up so you can see how mine looks.For me i have seen a huge improvement in performance with the pte ic

Richie

If you like,we can meet up so you can see how mine looks.For me i have seen a huge improvement in performance with the pte ic

Richie

:D :D :D :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Good to hear, I just ordered one, and our mods are very similar.
How was the before and after? Faster spool? Turbo pull harder?

:D :D :D :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Good to hear, I just ordered one, and our mods are very similar.

the only think i can tell you is when im cruising at 30 mph then hammer the gas before the up grades my car would just chirp the tires and now im leaving a long pacth and smoking the tires at the same time,it's pretty much day & night just the way i like it.

On july 18 the midwest meet with be going on at the track so im going the find out how fast she really is,best time with out cam kit and ic 12.93

the only think i can tell you is when im cruising at 30 mph then hammer the gas before the up grades my car would just chirp the tires and now im leaving a long pacth and smoking the tires at the same time,it's pretty much day & night just the way i like it.

On july 18 the midwest meet with be going on at the track so im going the find out how fast she really is,best time with out cam kit and ic 12.93

I have ZERO turbo lag and spools like crazy:biggrin: