Intercooler Piping

AdReNaLiNe

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before.

Basically, I have bought a front mount intercooler kit, aftermarket RAD and after market fans.

I didn't get the parts from Ebay, I got them from the vendors here on the forum.

Basically what is happening is that the pipes for the intercooler are hitting the sway bar and pushing the fans in (bending the plastic) and the fitment isn't the greatest.

Anyone have any advice on installing this? Maybe something I am missing in regards to installing it. I have tried clocking the TE60 as many different ways as I can and it doesn't seem to line up or give me enough room to get this pipe in properly.

Here are some pics.

PwkHC.jpg

6exZt.jpg

YPzxR.jpg

Pretty common issue. YOu'll need to cut about 3/4"-1" off of the tube and re-bead it. That should fix it right up.

Pretty common issue. YOu'll need to cut about 3/4"-1" off of the tube and re-bead it. That should fix it right up.

Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate the help guys. I'm guessing your talking about the side of the tube that goes towards the turbo.

Could an exhaust sop put that bead back into the pipe for me?

Gents,

I tried cutting the silicone hose and re-adjusting the intercooler to get it to fit, however none of that worked.

In the end i ended up Cutting off 3/4" off both pipes, the end that connects to the TB and the other that connects to the turbo outlet. That and the cut silicone hose that runs to the turbo outlet on the turbo side made everything fit much better

I ran a bead of weld around the new opening so that the pipes out not be blown off during acceleration. Everything fits now with some minor clocking of the turbo.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Your solutions all played a role in this working.

What fans are those and which vendor did you get them from? They look very nice. Oh and did they come with that aluminum shroud?

I have the same issue with pipe leaning on the fan ...cutting the hose helped a little for me.but still close....ill probably end up cutting the pipe in the same spots as u did and rebead it for a perfect fit...

U can also cut some of the actual silicone hose of to get pipe closer to turbo

hello: Off the IC subject as I was doing some research. I did notice that real silicone reducers are only 3" long and those long ones as you see with this IC is a pc. from a plumbing house. Those are rubber. Do you think that's a problem? Do they make longer silicon reducers?
I don't like it as one came with a CAI i have.
IBBY

The fans I bought were form GN1 Performance

They are a really nice set, came with the shroud, the fans and a plug that plugs directly into the stock harness for no modifications.

I know that the couplers that came with my IC kit are silicone, they are a 3 ply silicone. I think they make them larger for specific applications.

Is ur frontmount from gn1 too..the hoses and pipe look same as mine which is from gn1 which also leans on my stock fan...if so its a nice intercooler besides the pipe fitting... feels and sounds like the engine breathes better and makes my ride sneeze like a horse

someone sad that this is a common issue.. does anyone ever call the place where they bought it to complain about the crappy fitment? i don't know how much this stuff costs, but if i had to modify something that costs several hundred dollars to make it fit the car it was designed to fit, i'd be making a few phone calls..

someone sad that this is a common issue.. does anyone ever call the place where they bought it to complain about the crappy fitment? i don't know how much this stuff costs, but if i had to modify something that costs several hundred dollars to make it fit the car it was designed to fit, i'd be making a few phone calls..

Ur probably right I myself didnt think of it that way ...I did spend a good chunk of change for the intercooler and I don't want to go through the hassle of cutting and welding...will see what happens if worst comes to worst ill have to cut and rebead and count my losses...definitly wouldn't b the first....

I would have made the call, but that would have probably had me sending the pipe back to them for another one. I live up in Canada and shipping on it, would cost me more $$ and time then just doing what I did.

The down time would suck too.

I bet most of these kits are sold with the stock rad and fan, or the upgraded rad with a stock fan.

If this kit was used with the stock rad and fans it would fit without problems. The stock Rad is only 1 1/2'' where as the rad I had purchased was a 3'' core. The extra 1 1/2'' that I lost due to the increased core size is probably the reason this pipe was bottoming out on the fans.

But I agree, when I emailed with the problem to the manufacturer I was just told, It is a direct bolt in product.

They should offer another kit for people with the 3'' core aftermarket rad.

My PTC FMIC has the same trouble if I use a front sway bar it will hit the fans. I dont have a sway bar on the car now and Im able to pull it off the fans when I had stock fans they would rub on the resitor.

I figured it was the rad size ..mine is aftermarket and thicker then stock but I still run the stock fan....ur rite about it should fit with stock set up..

I think half the problem is the huge piping, I would rather run the smaller diameter since you can only flow as much as the throttle body allows, I think you even loose a little velocity with the larger pipe and experience more lag.
I bough an eBay kit where you cut and fit your pipes and then weld them and boy it fits like a glove. Was a little more work but it seams thats whats going on with the "bolt on" stuff.

Due to my S-10's engine bay being rather "tiny", I ended up reclocking my turbo outlet line from 90° straight out to 45° down. To do this, I also had to mod the actuator, so it's not an easy fix but doable.