Intercooler Maintenance

Dustin27987

I just took the intercooler off of my car and i badly need to clean it inside and out. What is the best way to clean the inside of that thing? I think there is some oil linning the linning th iside of it? thanks dustin

I have used gasoline ,mineral spirits, and brake kleen. All will do the job. Needless to say you have to be carefull while using any of the above. It will take a couple of times to get it totally clean depending on how much and old the oil is.

Cleaning intercooler

As Louie said any of the above will work. I used cans of O2 safe carb cleaner. Can get it from any auto parts store. If it hasn't been done for awhile you'll prob use at least 3. When you clean the intercooler may want to tape off one of the ends so you can slosh it around inside, then hook a wet vac up to it after you dump out the cleaner.

To make sure

Should i just dump one of the about products into the intercooler and slosh it around and maybe use the air compressor to blow it out and then use like a wet vac or something? Would blowing it out with a hose be ok, or would spraying water through ther not be a good idea? Thanks Dustin

Yes , but i dont think that a wet vac or ir is neccessary. Those products evaporate rather quickly.

I like to boil a big pot of water and after I'm all done with the brakleen, rinse it out with the HOT stuff...... You'll need gloves.. :eek: :mad: :D

Russ Merritt said:
I like to boil a big pot of water and after I'm all done with the brakleen, rinse it out with the HOT stuff...... You'll need gloves.. :eek: :mad: :D

The hot water idea is a good tip. Do you get any performance gains after the intercooler cleaning....Not meaning to hijack.....just asking the question? Mine has never been cleaned (20 years and 60k miles).

Russ Merritt said:

We are talkin cleaning intercoolers..not boiling potatoes... :cool:

acoen said:
The hot water idea is a good tip. Do you get any performance gains after the intercooler cleaning....Not meaning to hijack.....just asking the question? Mine has never been cleaned (20 years and 60k miles).

You'll definately see a performance gain, as buildup inside the cooler has the same effect as using low octane gas. Sludge is never good.