Intake removal

ponch

This week I am going ot remove and replace my intake and valve cover gaskets. Any special tools and tips before I start that might help? Whats the best intake gasket to replace the stocker with if I do not have any port work done? About how long should this take?

Thanks

It shouldn't be that hard, I always leave everthing I can bolted to the intake and just unplug the harness. Take the drain plugs out of each sid eof the block to get the antifreeze out of the intake so none goes in the motor. Then buy some petcocks from a parts store to replace them with, it will make it much easier to drain it next time. I have ported heads and intake and use the stock replacemnt Fel-Pro intake gasket, it works fine. If you leave everthing together you will need some swivel sockets or a universal joint to get it torqued down again. I *think* the only part I have to pull off of the intake itself is the EGR valve so I can torque the bolt behind it. That's all I can think of right now, someone else may chime in with some other tips.

Doug J

Plan for plenty of time as taking those valve covers off for the first time can be very interesting. You may also want to replace the little S hoses on the front. One goes to the water pump and the other to the heater lines. Maybe get a 160 stat if you don't already have one in there. I use cork cover gaskets and glue them to the covers and let them sit a while so they don't get ripped off during the fun install. Probably want a intake gasket w/ the valley pan otherwise your pcv will suck oil.
HTH