intake port size

eastwoodad

Well I just received my new intake manifold gaskets for my Kenne Bell intake, and the first thing I noticed was how small the intake ports are cast in comparison to the gasket!! I'm talking like about 1/8-3/16 all the way around the runner. Don't get me wrong, I know there is usually some gasket matching to be done but this is pretty significant.

UnboostedV6 (if you're out there;) ) I know you used the Weiand and I have looked at pictures of that manifold and the ports look like mine....what gives?

The Weiand and KB manifolds were cast to "fit" both the old low port heads and the '79 and up high port heads and require some work to match either perfectly. The Holley and Offy manifolds fit low ports and the Edelbrock is high port. GB

Sorry to bring this link back from the dead, but I am in the process of mocking up the intake on the block to check for port alignment and matching.

I dropped the intake on yesterday and suprisingly the bolt holes lined up even after a .040 cut on the block and .010 on the heads. The ports however need matching as said before.

Do you think it would be beneficial to port match or will I just screw the runner cfm balance up? Kenne Bell in recommends strongly "not to attempt to improve the Kenne Bell #1 by porting or grinding in any area...the runners are extremely well balancedand efficient just as they are". I've already gasket matched the intake side of the head, now the intake manifold port is much smaller. Any advice?

Thanks,
Aaron

Hey...been away for awhile...been busy racing instead of rebuilding for once! I'd tend to leave that manifold alone for now, given the displacement, vehicle weight, compression, and 6000ish redline. You can always open it up later, especially when you add some pressure. Not necessary now though...GB

Hey thats always good news when you're not breaking things!!! How has the car been running this year with the new setup?

As far as the porting, I guess its better for the runner on the intake to be smaller than the intake runner on the head. Youre right, I'll just save that for later. I just stinks cause I made the intake runners just beautiful...lol. Thanks buddy!

Aaron

Car's been running mid 11.8's all season with a best of 11.79 and 114.95 mph. It became very consistent once I learned what it wants for water temp, timing, and accelerator pump. There's SO much left in it though...I'm leaving a bunch of horsepower behind by short shifting at 7000, instead of 8200-8400, converter's about 1200 rpm too tight at only 4400, and it wants a 5.13, possibly a 5.29 gear to replace the 4.56's....needs a roll bar and harness to go quicker than 11.50...maybe this winter - - On the production stuff, I ported my Weiand manifolds in stages over the years, not opening it fully until the 4.1 was spinning 6800 with the solid roller set up and an 8" torque converter. GB

11.80's is awesome...the cooler thing is that there IS so much more left. Get a cage in that thing and let her rip!! Or just go to a track that you don't plan on going back to and make one big run an get kicked out...haha.