Intake/exhaust valves, Buick vs TTA..?

xspetsnazx

are the valves on the Buick heads same as the TTA ? I know the flat parts are the same but I mean the top tip of the rod.

Flat parts, tip of the rod, what exactly are you asking?
I couldn't post the picture, On the valves (exhaust & intake) there is part that touches the head port (the flat, bottom of the bar stool looking thing) and the other end (the tip) has the valve seal attached to it...well I was asking if the "tip" is identical on Buick & TTA...but I just found an answer to my question, they ARE different (the top part).
Thanks anyway.

Where did you find your info? I'd like to see it. I was wondering the same thing. And the terms would be the head, stem, and retainer groove.

Where did you find your info? I'd like to see it. I was wondering the same thing. And the terms would be the head, stem, and retainer groove.
I compared the exhaust valves that I had on the car previously with the ones that were installed on the car with the Buick head and they are way off as far as the retainer groove. I still have not figured out how to post pictures to show you but the retainer groove on the Buick, is much lower than the one on TTA (exhaust valve), it almost looks like there are 2 grooves on the Buick valve (the short one and the longer one under it) so as the piston goes up, the valve seal pushed into that longer groove (which is thinner than the stem it self and again, lower on the stem towards the head) and allows oil to pass through the valve seal because its just floating around in that groove. On the TTA exhaust valve, there is a small groove on top of the stem, the rest is a flat stem going all the way down to the head, so when the piston goes up, the valve seal is still sitting tight on the valve stem and DOESNT fall into the groove like the Buick valve does.

Hope I didnt confuse you, I know picture would be better as far as understanding what Im talking about. I can email it to you if you want.
And thanks for clearing up the correct terms for me :D

There are no valve seals on exhaust valves on buicks heads. TTA's use a smooth stem and take a seal. Common practice is to machine the guide on the buick head to accept a postive exhaust seal and use the TTA style smooth stem valve. Yes it will work have done all my motor and customers since 06/07 not one problem.

The retainers can be bought with the lock in different locations so the groove doesn't really matter on the valve. The lock can be moved up or down to get the right spring height. The total height of the valve is what's important.

There are no valve seals on exhaust valves on buicks heads. TTA's use a smooth stem and take a seal. Common practice is to machine the guide on the buick head to accept a postive exhaust seal and use the TTA style smooth stem valve. Yes it will work have done all my motor and customers since 06/07 not one problem.
That's right, and that's exactly what I am doing. The head will be machined to fit the TTA valves. Hopefully that will solve my smoking from exhaust problem, since I had the wrong valves in it.
Thanks,
Alex

The retainers can be bought with the lock in different locations so the groove doesn't really matter on the valve. The lock can be moved up or down to get the right spring height. The total height of the valve is what's important.
I dont know about that, The fact is that the valves from Buick simply wont work on the TTA (at least not with 100lb springs that I have) . They are the same height, but if the stem isn't smooth all the way down like the TTA valve stem is, the valve seal wont seal properly and cause the oil to go through.

I dont know about that, The fact is that the valves from Buick simply wont work on the TTA (at least not with 100lb springs that I have) . They are the same height, but if the stem isn't smooth all the way down like the TTA valve stem is, the valve seal wont seal properly and cause the oil to go through.
I was refering to using the TTA valves in an original designed RWD Buick V6 head, not a RWD valve being used in a TTA or FWD head.

That's right, and that's exactly what I am doing. The head will be machined to fit the TTA valves. Hopefully that will solve my smoking from exhaust problem, since I had the wrong valves in it.
Thanks,
Alex
I 've been there too! Besure it is not the turbo exhaust seal:) You'll get it!