installing an 87 ecm and maf on my 85 GN

Frank Darcy

85gmgn
I will order a correct chip from turbo tweek for my set up, but until then, when I install the 87 ecm and maf, should I start it with the 85 chip in the ecm or the 87 chip? I am doing the changeover this morning. Thanks!:confused::confused:

Start with the 87 chip(large one) and swap the cal pak(small one) from your 85 ECM into the 87 ECM. Good luck- Brad

Thanks Brad. I swapped the chips, changed the maf and the car started right up. I am flashing a code that I have to check into but it's running. Now i am going to try to hook up the scan master. Thanks for the help, I never would have known how to move the chips around without your help. Thks again, Frank

The check engine is probably the missing MAT sensor. The TT chip you are getting can be programmed by Eric to ignore this sensor or get one from Caspers along with the conversion kit. Good luck- Brad

I never had to swap the Cal-Pac chip as mine were all the same 504 numbers. Both on my 84's and 85's.

I never had to swap the Cal-Pac chip as mine were all the same 504 numbers. Both on my 84's and 85's.

The odds are heavily weighted that the 87 ECM being installed is not from an 86/87 TTYPE. This means that both chips should be replaced unless the numbers match. You do not want to find out the hard way that your cal pak chip is the wrong one. My 2 cents-Take care Brad

Very true Brad. Mine all came out of front wheel junkyard finds in Alamogordo, NM. I only bought one 148 ecm off of RedRegalT a few years back and it had the other 503 Cal-Pac in it. I do have an extra 504 or two around. :)