installed wrong ignition module

hoottrod3

please help i installed a ignition module and coil on my 85 t type that i order and when i install it it was small than the one was on it i thought it was an up dated one and thats why it was different afert install i crank it and it stared smoking and smelt like wiring around the water pump area i turn the ignition of and put my old stuff back on and now it wont start i pulled the harness apart nothing was burnt

Basic diagnosics

Does the SES light come on when you turn on the key.

Check the ECM and CCCI fuses.

Check your fuses.. One time I swapped my icm out literally only pulled old one out and put new in it and blew a fuse for a reason I still haven't figured to this day..??

you guys are missing what he said

the hotair module is ridiculous in price compared to the 86-87 version
you could swap coil packs with a plastic adapter plate
if the ignition module was smaller (as he says it was ) he swapped an 86-87 intercooled coilpack /ign module onto a hotair.
you cant just do that as they are not pinned the same
to do that you need a casper 84-5 to 86-7 ign module adapter(or rewire the connector)
and im not sure if you damaged anything in the process but a no start with the old Id guess you did something , check the fuses in the fuse block under dash first but you may have damaged the cam or crank sensor (smelling burnt stuff isnt a good sign)

heres a thread on converting to 86-7 module
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/coil-pack-upgrade.222420/

Last edited:
Check all the fuses they were good the smoke was by the water pump area I have ordered everything from Casper to change it over I went ahead and order a cam sensor and crank sensor to replace that

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Not only could you smell it I seen a smoke

20140717_122904.jpg
20140717_122916.jpg
20140717_122909.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you replaced it with an 86/87 module. And like someone said the power pins are different.

Back to basics. Check for spark and fuel injector pulse.

It had the original crank sensor on it when I pulled it off the bottom was completely melted out