Installed my new TT6.0 chip

toomanymodz

I finally got around to installing the new mods, which included Siemens 60lb injectors, TurboTweak v6.0 wide band chip and I put a screen in the MAF sensor so that the TT chip would work properly.

The stuff that I removed were 009 (43lb) injectors and a Max Effort 16-position thumbwheel chip. I was out of injector (over 100% duty cycle) and decided to prepare the platform for future mods, so it was time.

First impressions:
The engine fired right up and the first thing I noticed was the idle. It was much smoother than before. I mean, it idles really nice! Plus I didn't get fumed out of the garage like before.

I drove the car today to allow the computer to 'learn'. The A/F ratios at cruise were perfect. Right around 14.7 to low 15's, and this is right out of the box. I haven't tweaked any settings yet!

Coming back from the gym, I did floor it once. It down shifted into 2nd and then back into third and pulled hard at almost 23 lbs of boost. I did notice a KR spike on the powerlogger. Not sure if it was false KR or not since the tires did spin a little, and the downshift and upshift happened right after. The KR spike was just as boost was building, at around 10 psi. The A/F's went from 11.82 down to 9.57 then back up to 11.90 before settling down to around 11.00. Maybe I can have Eric look at the log file. I don't know how to post it here. Once the AF settled at 11.00, it stayed very close to that number (due to the wide-band corrections built into the v6.0 chip, very nice!).

Even with the ME chip, I would get some false knock, which would look like little spikes on the powerlogger screen. With the boost turned down to 15lbs and running my usual 110 octane I'd still see the spikes. Usually around when the tranny would shift, but sometimes not.

This time the spikes were higher than with the old ME chip(7.8 versus 2.5). This makes me a little nervous. I need to make sure that this is false KR before I go any further.

For the A/F stabiliy when the boost first comes up, there is a section in the chip instructions called "Tuning with the 6.0 chip". Go through that and it will give some pointers. Might need to adjust the base WOT fuel.
It could be false knock if it's happening on a hard downshift like that, but let's get the fuel worked out to see if it helps.
You can email me a run also and I'll be happy to look at it.
Eric

Hey Eric. Thanks for the quick reply. I read the tuning page and looked at my log again. Once the boost started to stabilize, the BLM read 134. I'll try setting the base WOT fuel to 134 and see what happens. I'll see if I can email you the log file, just to ensure I'm looking at this correctly. Thanks!

Got it. Yes I would move the base WOT fuel up to 134.
I'm not sure whether that is real or false knock. What octane fuel do you have in there now?

I always run 110 leaded. I'm tempted to think it's false knock because the 1st spike was when the tires spun and the tranny down/up shifted. However, the second spike was when I locked up the converter at 75 MPH so that could of been a true KR. I've seen these spikes even if I lower the boost down to 15..they are less intense, but still show up. Good thing they are brief spikes and disappear quickly. I'm going to experiment with the base WOT fuel and see what happens. And I'll lower the boost to a safe 20 lbs.

If you're running 110 then I would tend to agree that its false. For the knock when you lock up the converter, you can try reducing 3rd gear timing a degree or two.
If you come to the conclusion that it's false knock, I do have ways of ignoring it in the chip if you want.

Eric

That did the trick. I set it to 134 and now the AF ratio goes right to the 11 to 1 setting. This chip is awesome. Thanks Eric.

Your not going to make best power at 11.0, what boost are you running?

I'm running about 22 to 23# right now. 110 octane leaded fuel. Approx 25 degrees timing. If I increase the boost, or timing, I start to see some occasional knock spikes.

Looks like too much timing to me for your octane. Try 21 degrees and start leaning the fuel back to 11.5 for now. Its a known fact engines start to lose power anything after anything lower than 12.2 a/f turbo charged or n/a. However extra richness will reduce combustion temps and reduce chance of detotantion, but there is more of a chance washing the cyl walls down also. You will always make more power with more boost and lower timing as long as you stay away from knock. I made the most power at 11.8 on my combo years ago, living on the edge. ...:) But each engine is different, you will have to experiment and see what your engine likes best.

Thanks for the tip. The previous owner ran 24.7 degrees of timing at 25# of boost, but he was also running 116 octane, whereas I'm only running 110. His O2's ranged from 750 to 780, whereas my O2's are at 800 to 810, so I am definitely running the car richer than he did. I'll try backing off the timing a bit (my TT chip is setup for 27 degrees for 1st/2nd gear, and 25 for 3rd/4th gear, which gave me a couple of big KR spikes, so i backed it down to 25 with favorable results). I bet I can run the full 25# of boost again on the 21 degrees as you suggested. Isn't this fun?

I used a 114 chip from Eric and 110 fuel. No timing changes. Added fuel and had no knock. I add 10% and trim from there until I get the 02 or A/F where I want it at a given boost setting. 22 psi for 2009/ 25+ for 2010.

I would suggest 23 timing for the 1st gear, any bit of knock and you can spilt a head gasket. I have a head gasket wall of shame thats not pretty by experience.

Ok, I just got back from Germany (vacation) and did a few tweaks this evening. I backed the timing down to 23 and set the AF ratio to 11.3 to 1. The car pulls very nice. At 24# of boost I didn't see any knock in 1st and 2nd gear. Then two brief spikes of 1.4 KR in 3rd. Both times the KR went to 1.4 degrees and then went away quickly. Should I be concerned with those small spikes?

Its not that bad 1.4 but its still knock, if you can, take out 1 degree just for 3rd gear.

Ok folks, I got bored and ordered another TT 6.0 chip, except this time for 93-94 octane. I installed it and set the boost at around 17-18 lbs and took it out for a spin. Boy am I impressed how this chip runs. The car pulls like a fright train, has zero knock, and the idle is absolutely perfect. I think I'll take it to the track and see what the car can do running 93 octane, drag radials and through the exhaust. I'm betting deep 12's. These chips are awesome.

Did you take any logs of the new chip???????????????

I did manage to record one log so far. This is me driving back from the gas station. Lots of traffic so I couldn't go too fast. Two quick pulls. The 2nd one I stayed in it longer. One thing I see is that my boost gauge reads slightly lower numbers than what gets recorded. Not sure which one is correct. I'm going to try to steady the boost some more. It spikes at first and then fades a bit.

Attachments

• TTS_pull1.zip
    47.7 KB · Views: 58
Looks like its too rich. Change you WOT a/f ratio to 11.4 3rd and forth and 11.7 for 1st and 2nd I do see the blms going down to 117 on WOT at 20 psi. I would bring your parameter 4 to 120 and turn on your closed loop fuel mid boost its set on open loop and your fueling is all over the place set it to lets say 11.7 a/f Do a quick run but bring the boost down a few psi for now so you don;t hurt anything. I hope your not running alky otherwise we will have to leave your a/f ratios as they are.

Right now the settings are still out-of-the-box, so i havent tweaked anything yet. The TT chip has the A/F set at 10.8. I'll experiment with the leaner mixtures. Don't worry, I'm not running alky. The instructions say that the mid boost is usually best turned off, but I'll turn it on to see how the transition looks. You're right, the ratios are all over the place and the BLM's are low. I'll tweak, do another pull and post the log file for ya. Thanks for the tips.