Inst LPS fuse blows

jpratt

Can some one help me troubleshoot the problem I am having with the INST LPS fuse blowing. The fuse control the instrument lights and I have no idea what else. I think it controls the climate control lights, shifter indicator and ash tray. I want to split the system to find the shorting wire. Anybody know where to separate the instrument panel from the rest of that circuit so I can try to find the bad wire? I have the Schematic for the 86 G Body but it shows also that the engine is the hot air instead of the LC2. I think that the in body harness is the same either way.

Check the wire going down to light up the shift indcator.It will be a gray wire.

Yes, but to be a little more specific, remove the trim around the gear shifter. You will see the wire broken and causing the short.

Hi,
This is indeed the best place to start looking for your short to ground. Other possibilities are with the wiring to the instrument cluster itself. Also, the headlight switch area might be looked at. I think the basic wiring was retained from way back in the model run; my '83 shares most of the interior wiring with an '87, as I learned during my conversion.
This problem is a hassle sometimes, but it is almost certainly gonna be a chafed wire or a problem load, which are all illumination bulbs.I don't know if you are using factory diagrams, or composites from a lesser manual. If you want the factory stuff, it is easily available on line. Good luck with your trouble!

Thanks for the help so far. I am using the big GM book for the schematics. I will check the shifter bulb first.