Injector cleaning

granitestategn

Gettin' there
Does anyone know if any of the TR vendors sell those pressurized injector cleaning kits? It's mentioned in the gnttpe.org maintenance section, under spring cleaning, I think. I had it done by a dealer at about 20,000 miles but I would like to get a kit to do it myself. The dealer called it a "Powertune" injector cleaning. Valvoline Instant Oil Change does it for around $80 bucks a whack. You hook a hose on your fuel rail, tap into a pressurized can of straight injector cleaner, clamp the return line to the tank and run the engine on the cleaner. The only kit I've been able to find was intended for repair shops. It had a ton of adapters, etc. Oh yeh, IT WAS $400 !!!:eek: Does anyone know where to get one MUCH cheaper? (not that I'm cheap, but if I'm gonna drop $400 buck on the Buick, I can think of a lot better things to spend it on)

Berryman's and Quaker State sell injectors cleaners that you add to the gas. NOT your normal Alky BS stuff that the other guys sell. the Berryman's and Quaker State stuff comes in metal cans, because they actually have some relatively high powered cleaners in them.

I use two cans in one tank of gas, once in, the spring, and winter.

Thanks Bruce

Thanks for the reply. I've heard good things about the Techron stuff and I've got the Lucas Oil product in my tank now. I've run the GM top engine cleaner through the car but I am still getting really inconsistent O2 readings at WOT. Fuel pressure is good. I've got a new GM O2 sensor and my cracked header is fixed so i was going to look at the injectors next. Stock original with 96 K on them. I thought I would try the concentrated cleaning kit if I could find one cheap enough.

I think Postons or Kenne-Bell had the can that screwed onto the fuel rail.

Anyway I'd use a gallon of xylene to 4 gallons gas and 2 oz. or so of mystery oil to clean them while driving.

Do it twice for about $20.

If they're stock injectors I would just spend the money on getting rid of them. ;)