Injector and exhaust system reccomendations?

FlaBoy

Just a good ole boy...
A month or so back I started taking apart the top end of my '85 to swap out a suspected bad head gasket. As so often happens, life got in the way (had a research opportunity come along that I couldn't pass up) and haven't gotten to it in a while. Now I'm starting to get back to it, and while I have the top end apart, I figured it'd be a good time to get new injectors and a new injector harness (which I have been meaning to do for a while).

My first question is what injectors you guys would reccomend, and who is a good place to buy from? At the moment the motor is mostly stock, but in the future I hope to change that. I have a spearco kit in the garage I plan to modify and install at some point, and a TA-33 may be in the future, along with some exhaust mods. I'm not planning on making the car into anything crazy ever, but some performance mods are in the future. I seem to remember a few posters reccomending 50's, that way you will never likely have to upgrade, etc. Any suggestions you guys have as far as injector size, and vendor choice would be appreciated. Oh, and yes I realize I will have to get my chip re-burned to account for the bigger injectors.

My second question regards my exhaust. As of now, my exhaust system comprises stock headers, stock crossover, stock up-pipe, and a stock downpipe with the last inch or so cut off. When I purchased the car it had a cat rusted onto the end of the downpipe and nothing else behind it, so I cut off the cat to keep it from flopping around under there. I was thinking that while I had the heads off it would be a good time to do any exhaust mods. It has been a year or so since I have been really active on the threads, is there anyone out there producing reasonably priced headers, up-pipes or downpipes for hotairs? If not, does anyone have any used units for sale? Is there an easy way to check my stock headers for leaks other that with the engine running? Money is a big concern for me, so I assume if thats the limiting factor that a downpipe would be the most bang for buck rather than headers or up-pipe? Again, any advice would be very welcome. Thanks guys!

Turbo Tweak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....for the injectors and chip. Shoot Eric an email and he will take care of you. As far as the exhaust.....not much out there. Gbodyparts.com has a 3" downpipe...for $500+. We are all S.O.L on the headers as of now...Postons was the only vendor that sold them, and they are now in the crapper. JaysGN has a new inlet pipe for $199. From what I've read...Jerryl/Brad/Esinger, back me up here....I think the best bang for your buck on exhaust upgrades is an integrated DP, (getting rid of the stock elbow). And unless you plan to do alot of racing and such, the stock crossover and driver side header are probably all you will need. The passenger side is pretty restrictive...but again, nobody carries a replacement as of now. Oh and if ANYONE out there has a set of used Poston headers....I NEED SOME!!!!:biggrin: If you are planning on doing the DP and headers, make sure you upgrade the cat-back exhaust to 2-1/2 too. It will help. Hope this is what you were looking for, and I hope the more-informed guys will give some input as well....AND correct me if I am wrong too!!;) Good luck. ---Keith

[Gbodyparts.com has a 3" downpipe...for $500+. We are all S.O.L on the headers as of now...Postons was the only vendor that sold them, and they are now in the crapper. JaysGN has a new inlet pipe for $199. From what I've read...Jerryl/Brad/Esinger, back me up here....I think the best bang for your buck on exhaust upgrades is an integrated DP, (getting rid of the stock elbow). And unless you plan to do alot of racing and such, the stock crossover and driver side header are probably all you will need. The passenger side is pretty restrictive...but again, nobody carries a replacement as of now. Oh and if ANYONE out there has a set of used Poston headers....I NEED SOME!!!!:biggrin: If you are planning on doing the DP and headers, make sure you upgrade the cat-back exhaust to 2-1/2 too. It will help. Hope this is what you were looking for, and I hope the more-informed guys will give some input as well....AND correct me if I am wrong too!!;) Good luck. ---Keith[/QUOTE]

X2 here. I run a custom made 2/1/2 custom made integrated downpipe into a 21/2 Hooker exhaust. Plenty for the stock and TA33C turbo. I also run the Jays GN uppipe and keep my original as a spare. The drivers side header and crossover do not have to be upgraded. Take care-Brad

Any suggestions on what size injectors to get?

Anything > 28 lbs.

Contact TT and get the cheapest injector/chip combo you can.
I am basing that advice on your other thread where you indicated: Building for stock performance levels.

If you have stock units, have them cleaned as that may be cheaper. :cool:
Than purchase the TT chip.

I already have a TT chip for the 86/87 ECM in a hotair. As far as power levels, I may down the road go with a TA33 and/or alky, so I want to make sure I get enough injector now for mods down the road. Can you really go too big on injectors (within reason)? I know if you go HUGE there can be issues with pulsewidth etc.

I already have a TT chip for the 86/87 ECM in a hotair. As far as power levels, I may down the road go with a TA33 and/or alky, so I want to make sure I get enough injector now for mods down the road. Can you really go too big on injectors (within reason)? I know if you go HUGE there can be issues with pulsewidth etc.

Now that you say "TA33" ........ ;) :cool:
What fuel and how much Boost/RPM will you run?
What is the HP goal?

Don't have any specific numbers I'm shooting for when it comes to HP or boost. This car will always be a street car, running on 92 octane. It might make it to the track on test n' tune night a few times a year to see what she can do, but thats it. IF down the road I end up putting a bigger turbo or alky on it, I'll just try and get the most HP and boost outta that combo that I can. The only reason I mentioned it is because I don't want to spend a few hundred on new injectors now, then a year or 2 down the road have to buy newer bigger ones if/when I upgrade my car a little further. I figure if theres not a HUGE price difference between 28 and 42.5 pounders (or whatever), might as well go big now and not have to worry about my injectors down the road. I was just wondering if my thinking on this is incorrect, or if there are other reasons I'm not thinking of that would make it a bad idea to get bigger injectors than i really need at the moment.

Don't have any specific numbers I'm shooting for when it comes to HP or boost. This car will always be a street car, running on 92 octane. It might make it to the track on test n' tune night a few times a year to see what she can do, but thats it. IF down the road I end up putting a bigger turbo or alky on it, I'll just try and get the most HP and boost outta that combo that I can. The only reason I mentioned it is because I don't want to spend a few hundred on new injectors now, then a year or 2 down the road have to buy newer bigger ones if/when I upgrade my car a little further. I figure if theres not a HUGE price difference between 28 and 42.5 pounders (or whatever), might as well go big now and not have to worry about my injectors down the road. I was just wondering if my thinking on this is incorrect, or if there are other reasons I'm not thinking of that would make it a bad idea to get bigger injectors than i really need at the moment.

Contact TT. :cool: