In need of some help...

TTypeRiv

JUSTARIV
Hey guys, I need some help if you can...
I took a turbo from am 85 GN and installed it on my 87 FWD Riviera. I got everything mounted, wired, and plumed okay. But when I drove it for the first time last night, it didn't run right. I could tell the turbo was building boost, but only a couple pounds. I don't think the wastegate selenoid is working right because of my computer. I am going to try switching to a stock GN computer and chip tonight. And also try installing a bleeder valve instead of the wastegate seleniod. When I was driving my car, it would make a funny noise, that kinda sounded like it was poping back through the throttle body. I was thinking that the selenoid wasn't working right and making boost all the time. But I am not sure though.

Are there any other ideas that you guys can come up with that may be affecting things. I am not up to date on everything about GNs and turbo, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

hopefully someone here can help you out. You may also want to try turbogm.com if no one can help you out here.... but i think someone here should offer some assistance...

Nathyn

If you think it isn't boosting because of the ECM then loop your vacuum line for the turbo. That way it will boost as much spring pressure as your wastegate will hold. (Probably about 10 pounds). Just run a vacuum line directly from the compressor to the wastegate solenoid.

Does your car have the 3.8 NA FWD? Good luck!

yeah, my car has...well, had the NA FWD 3.8. But I think I figured out what was wrong. As usual, it was something really stupid. When I was running the oil feed line, I thought it would be a good idea to run an oil cooler. So my buddy pulled one off his shelf and we put it on. Well, we should have made sure it was cleaned out first. But you know what happens when you get in a rush. So the turbo was not getting any oil. And even I know that. So when we cleaned out the line tonight of all the debris and hooked it back up, oil came out of the turbo from everywhere. So the seal and bearings are obvously shot.

Long story short, I am currently now looking for a good stock GN turbo. Anyone have out there? Thanks.

Last edited:
i had one, but i think the bearings and seals are shot in that one as well..:D

Call bweavy, i am sure he will hook one up for ya...

Nathyn

Hey guys,
Thanks for the help, but I think I got things a little better now. I bought another turbo, but have yet to put it on. That should fix a lot of things. I will try to keep you updated on everything.

In the meantime, I put a few pics of the install on my cardomain page. check them out and let me know what you think.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/210338/3