Impressions of the BPG Nationals..

gn85

You've gotta try this!
Here is the thread about the BPG nats. Rants and raves.. what ya liked, what ya didn't like. Here's my LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG list.

My impressions of the BPG Nationals:

First off, I had a great time. My girlfriend and I really enjoyed our time there and we’re very happy we got to see so many old friends and met many new ones. To me, that is the most important part of these events. So long as the great people come to these events, the good times will roll with the even the worst of shows.

The good news is, this isn’t the worst of shows. As a matter of fact, it was, in my opinion, a very decent event. Especially considering this is the first one. As with many nationals, I came away with my thoughts of what was really good and what could use improvement. Before I go into my rant and rave list, let me say that my overall impression of this event was very positive. I don’t want that to be confused with less then favorable comments I make.

The venue—

The track: The actual track itself was a bit funny. The uphill burnout, downhill racing and uphill climb past the 1000ft. mark was a little odd. I didn’t race my car so I can’t comment on what this was like for the driver. The facilities were adequate. Not the best I’ve seen, not the worse I’ve seen. The grounds were well kept and the layout seemed to work well.

The area around the track and hotel: The distance from our hotel (Microtel) and the track was a bit long, but not too far. Obviously there’s nothing that can be done about that. The area around the hotel was decent. Pretty much everything needed was within a short driving or even walking distance. Good call. My impressions of the Microtel itself will be posted on a separate thread. I personally like the rural setting. Very relaxed atmosphere. The police didn’t seem to be very bothersome with our hotel parking lot seminar: “How to do a burnout 101”. J Joe Midolo failed this course in his Tahoe. :p

The racing—

As stated before, I was not running a car so I can’t really comment on how the racing went. With the rain problems delaying and postponing the schedule, it seemed the organizers did a good job of getting back on track. I find that with the vendor set up time that was given, drivers should have been allowed to prepare as well during this time. Might have also been a good time get the tech situation straight.

The show—

Here’s where my criticism will scream!! I enjoyed the show. There were some very nice cars there. The red wagon with the flames was really pretty. I love the way the flames were done on that car. My problem really comes with the layout of the car show classes. It was very clear and obvious that there was very little to no thought put into the arranging of classes. There were many classes for the V8 cars, which seemed to cover almost everybody. But the four classes for the turbo cars was pathetic. Turbo Regal, Turbo Regal modified, GNX and GNX modified??? First off, I don’t recall seeing ANY GNXs there so that eliminates two classes right there. Only two classes for the decent Turbo Regal turnout was really poorly done. Many people mentioned to me that this event was really geared towards the V8 crowd and perhaps they were unfamiliar with the show classes for the Turbo Regal cars. This could have easily been cured by consulting with a few of the many knowledgeable members of the V6 clubs. Also the argument of the organizers may not have been sure of the Turbo Regal turnout is pretty weak. I feel there had been more V6 classes, more people might have come and participated. I hope this will be fixed next year.

Value—

The prices didn’t seem unreasonable for the show as a spectator. I’m glad to see the prices didn’t climb steadily each day. Hotels in the area seemed to be reasonably priced. There was even a discount for car shows participants. I was glad to see that especially with the price I saw posted outside of the hotel. J Gas prices were pretty good. Food prices weren’t bad.

Overall—

The long and short of things. I’m very happy with the show. There’s room for improvement, but after seeing how good of a job they did with this first show, I’m confident that next years event will be a class act. I plan on doing this again next year. Hope to see y’all there.

Special thanks to Chris Wren for being the "official" weight inspector for TSM. :) Chris fought a long time to master the art of reading the digital scales but came through with flyling colors like no one else. :D

Wow, how many people fly all the way to Ohio from Germany, just to help out with TSM? ;) Thanks Chris!

I did not hear any attendence numbers, but I was in the tower on several occasions with the organizers who kept muttering "Wow, this is a lot more people than we expected!" I have to admit, this was the first Buick show I have been too since 1992 where the number of V8 cars outnumbered the V6 Buicks. If the V6 crowd shows up in droves next year, this could be as big or bigger than the event in Bowling Green!

They also admitted to themselves that the car show needs some work - more classes and more square footage. The show will prolly be in the higher-grounds of the grass next year.

If I was in charge I would be tickled pink with the attendence. :) Jim Haas, John Scmidt, Jim Weiss, Bruce Hunter, Cole Smith, etc. - THANK YOU!

BPG

Wow.............you're right!! There were definitely more V8's racing. Heck I was right in the thick of it. The 5 massholes were doing their 455 engine swap right in front of our tent. My other three friends brought their V8 cars, and I had my turbo..........so what's that 8 to 1. The BPG just hasn't caught on with the turbo guys. The attendence of the club can literally double if more turbo guys join. I'm extremely shocked more turbo guys haven't joined, the BPG is an awesome club!!

Re: BPG

Originally posted by RATROASTER
Wow.............you're right!! There were definitely more V8's racing. Heck I was right in the thick of it. The 5 massholes were doing their 455 engine swap right in front of our tent. My other three friends brought their V8 cars, and I had my turbo..........so what's that 8 to 1. The BPG just hasn't caught on with the turbo guys. The attendence of the club can literally double if more turbo guys join. I'm extremely shocked more turbo guys haven't joined, the BPG is an awesome club!!

Yes, there were definately more V8 cars there. But I was expecting that. You can clearly tell that more promotion was done in the V8 arena as compared to the TRs. You can't swing a dead cat on the V8 board without hitting threads and promotion for this event. In here, it was almost non-existant.

I really agree with Scott. With the proper promotion, this thing has potential to become a heavy hitter Buick event. It sure made a good showing this time and it's only the first one. We shall see.

My wife and I attended and she finally passed the "hotel parking lot seminar: “How to do a burnout 101” and we had a blast. We didn't know how many cars were going to be there but I assumed there would be many more 455 cars than turbo cars but I was pleasantly surprised to see many more turbo cars there than I expected.

We are looking forward to going back next year.

I'm extremely shocked more turbo guys haven't joined, the BPG is an awesome club!!

I guess I have to take the hit on this one. As V6 Director I have been fighting the stigma that the BPG was just a V8 club. When the www.V8buick.com sight opened, it was immediately associated as the home sight for the BPG. Therefore, the BPG/V8 association was established. The www.buickperformancegroup.com site thus became more of an informational sight. The V6 guys knew about the event as I had posted information about the event throughout the year. We did post on both boards the payouts and information about the event. No, we did not do the banner ads and do the heavy hitting campaign. Remember, one of the BPG policies is [COLOR= blue] YOU DO NOT [/COLOR] have to be a BPG member to enjoy the BPG Nationals.

As for attendance, the V8 guys outnumbered the turbo guys 70/30. That being said, many turbo guys showed up. As for Q8, the finalist at BG this year, Bob Armstrong and Jim Rock were there. Jim Dotson had to turn around while in transit because his daughter went into labor. Both Bob and Jim broke before the race leaving me and Tony Garcia to defend the turbo gang. Had Bob, Jim Rock, and Jim Dotson answered the bell, we would have had four or possibly five cars in the Q8. Billy Anderson indicated he was going to attend but was unable to make it. Ron Lumas was in attendance without the Rapid Automotive Regal because his driver, Dave Buscher, was not available. I qualified with an 8.15 and Tony with an 8.68. Three of the V8 guys were 8.10, 8.12, & 8.13.

Steve Sullivan beat Dave England in the TSM finals and Jack Cotton beat Michael Lyons in the TSO finals.

TA Performance was the lead sponsor at the event showing off their aluminum V6. Nick Micale provided a lot of insight to the development of the block.

For the 2005 event, the BPG is going to make some adjustments to the program and market a lot harder to get the word out. That being said, those of you who missed the 2004 event missed out on a good time. It's time to start thinking about the 2005 event and how the turbo cars can make a better showing. Payouts were excellent and the overall attendance was great. I look forward to seeing a larger "sea of black cars" next year.

It's time to get the Riviera finished. :D

John and Brad,

I have to say, despite my criticism, I have to say I'm very impressed that you both are standing up and explaining the situation. Something that is not common when things go wrong at an event. Please don't take my remarks the wrong way. I really did enjoy this event and fully appreciate the hard work that was put in to making this a great time for all.

Kudos for being stand up reps.

Chris: We are welcoming all opinions of the way the event was run. That is how we know what needs to be done to make it better..........and we will. A few more black cars would help.:)

PS: 15 of the 16 cars in Q16 were bigblocks. Sort of reminded me of BG in the late 80's and early 90's when I was trying to get in to the 13's with my GN.

Hello everybody,

The event was absolutely awesome! I really enjoyed my first national Buick event and I will definately try to be there again next year. I met a lot of nice people and can now put faces to the nicks on the forum and in the chat room. I had fun looking around and even learning how to change a head gasket, thanks to Joe! :) The weather could have been better the first two days but you can't have everything!

I saw /learned /drank/laughed a lot and will come back for more! Maybe next time I can attempt to pass the "burnout-in -the-parkinglot "- course!

Q 16

To start I think it was a great success with a few short comings.

John it was my intention to run Q-16 but since we weren't able to run TSM Saturday night as scheduled I could not and compete for the TSM points series.. That was the one thing I thought was wrong, they ran so late with the car show, (I understand they did not expect so many concours cars and that was the problem). Then they ran GSM out so they could all compete in the other class on Sunday but they would not run the turbo car classes so we had the same opportunity as the V-8 cars. Kind of bogus if you ask me, but I was told ahead of time that all the turbo guys are whiners anyway so I was prepared for it. If TSM and TSO would have been run Saturday at least 4 or 5 turbo cars would have been in the Q-16. I had a great time and I know there are always issues with any event but I found it to be discouraging to have to choose between TSM and Q-16 and the GSM V-8 guys did not have to. I am not trying to start anything with the V-8 guys just not happy with those who worked it out that way.. Just my take but overall a great time... John again thanks for all your hard work.. Dave

WOW!!

John, I can't hardly blame you alone for the low turnout of turbos. Now that the event has occured and turbo guys did participate...............the word is out!! "JOIN THE BPG, ITS WHERE THE ACTION IS!!" Turbo guys cannot ignore it, and word of mouth is so much stronger than an internet banner on a webpage. Its only a matter of time before more realize this.

What made this event so different, was the action in the pits and in the parking lots at night. I didn't get snarled at for borrowing a spot to change race tires. Every time I needed a hand, there was more than enough help and absolutely encouraged to go faster with every pass. There was plenty of action happening even while we were waiting for rain to pass.

For the guys who may not have heard, there was an entire engine swap that occured right in the pits on a 1970 GS so a guy from MASS. could run on Sunday. He blew his car up in central PA and needed it to drive home. No tears were cried, just wrenches being turned. He did not have the car finished in time to make eliminations Sunday, but the event directors allowed him to make passes in between the final elimination rounds of Pro and Super Pro classes...........its an awesome story and one that needs to be told.

Plus in the back of the host hotel a certain GS made three 200 foot burnouts....................and I had never seen a TRIO of BUICKS making donuts until this weekend!! And at the car cruise at the A&W, a three car in tandem burnout right on RT 224. These guys from MASS. where classics!! The nights were absolutely crazy!!

Needless to say the action was all around......in the pits, on the track, in the parking lots of the hotels, and on the highway. If you didn't go you missed out big time. It was just an AWESOME EVENT!!

Thanks to all the event directors for making it happen.

The BPG Nats were great.Good people,great racing,and the people who worked to get the show running were taking input for next years nats.
John I really enjoyed doing the pro stock burnouts past the starting line.I also like racing you the 3 times we did.
I will be back next year and my cousin is bringing his car also.You guys did a great job and the track personel was awsum.
Even the track owner answerd my stupid question about the uphill burnout area and the uphill at the 1000 ft.
Thanks again
Tony Garcia
#5 qualifier in quick8

Originally posted by 8scbuick
Even the track owner answerd my stupid question about the uphill burnout area and the uphill at the 1000 ft.
Since I never asked, my I ask what was the answer given to you? Obviously a track isn't simply buildt without a plan...or a blueprint...or a topographical idea at the very least. Why did they do that?

Dave: was not aware of the TSM problem on Saturday. Was it due to the rainout on Friday night? Be thankful you didn't run in two classes. You would have redlighted in both!!!:D :D Just kidding. Thanks for being there.

John

double reds

Yes but runner up in 2 classes pays more than runner up in 1.. :eek:

Thanks John and Bruce too for all your hard work..... Glad to support a great show.. :D

Re: double reds

I had a great time there and so did my wife. This is the first event she has been able to make it to since we had our honeymoon in Bowling Green at the GSCA Nationals in 2001. This was also my 1 yr old boy's first event. And while he did more playing with everyone's wife/girlfriend than watching the race I think he had a good time. This was also the first time he had ever been in the Buick while it was running. My original car was totaled when he was 5 days old. Forever burned in my brain is the look on his face when I fired up the car (without the dump cap) with him sitting on my lap. I for one, will never forget this event.

Thanks to all those who made it possible. You can count on me being there next year.

Originally posted by re-evaluating
Yes but runner up in 2 classes pays more than runner up in 1.. :eek:

Thanks John and Bruce too for all your hard work..... Glad to support a great show.. :D

Dave it was good to lose to such a wicked car. Thanks for not embarrassing me too much by completely blowing my doors off. ;)

Q16

I definitely wanted to run Q16 with a much larger payout. I'm actually suprised none of the TSO guys jumped ship to run that class. My car would have definitely qualified.

I had a great time and can't wait for next years event.
Chris Lyons