I'm worried for my block

nolanator

@none_more_black
I have a nearly newly built 109 block that has been hardened with hardblok, and fitted with studded mains and billet caps. For all intents and purposes its a good block, but a lot of people are saying the tipping point of a 109 block is around 600hp, and my goals within the next month push past that number by about 150-200.

I was planning on pulling it all apart and having Kenny Duttweiler build it with all forged stuff to support the stress of my 6766 pushing 30+psi through it, but now I feel like I might be building a time bomb.

At this point, I'm considering selling off my current long block and starting from scratch with a TA aluminum block since I don't understand anything about stage II stuff and I already have the forged internals for a factory style setup.

Any input?

Goals are to run 9s in the quarter with room to grow.

I'm building a 109 with the same goals and have no concern. I would finish what you're doing and enjoy. I think 400 HP was said to be its limits back in the 90's. Look at the guys in the 9's now with the 109 all day long. Is it pushing it, yes. I think if I had the $ to buy a TA block and wanted to go beyond what a 109 could do, I would probably be adding 2 cylinders to the equation. Just my 2 cents. :)

I'm building a 109 with the same goals and have no concern. I would finish what you're doing and enjoy. I think 400 HP was said to be its limits back in the 90's. Look at the guys in the 9's now with the 109 all day long. Is it pushing it, yes. I think if I had the $ to buy a TA block and wanted to go beyond what a 109 could do, I would probably be adding 2 cylinders to the equation. Just my 2 cents. :)

You're a wise man regarding going to a V8. I've been battling with the idea of moving to a 5.3, but it would kill everything cool the car has going for it. I'm probably going to stick with the 109 with the understanding that I need to be realistic with my expectations. This way it will hurt less when I grenade it. Thanks for the input.

my thoughts exactly!

You have enough for 9's now....how deep into the 9's do you want to go ? The 109 has been 8.7x but you better have the tune right ....
A V8 sounds way better than our 6 and will take more HP but in my opinion the 6 belongs in a GN or the cool factor is gone ...

Bryan

More than likely, a tuning mistake will blow up a engine way before it reaches the horsepower limit of the 109. I have not found a way to keep them living very long at that level. Its usually something vague and unexpected. For instance, I decided to take my car out for a drive last week. I floored it, stripped the tv cable ratcheting mechanism and blew a 3k trans. My suggestion is to creep up on your goals. Don't aim for tens if it can't be reliable in the 11's.

This subject is always coming up on the board. "How fast can I go with a stock block?"

And the the answer is.................

Faster than most will want to go.

Unless.........................................

If you are into this "it's never enough" thing for a good chunk of your life, (like I am) sooner or later, you're more than likely going to end up with a Stage or TA block. If you have the money, What's the difference if you do it now or later?

As far as v8's go........the only money saved is the cost differential of the 2 motors. Seems like chump change compared to the total cost of building a 100,000 dollar car. Besides it being completely boring to no end.

u don't need Kenny Duttweiler to build u a TA engine to go fast. plan on spending $35k on TA motor if u go that route. u can go plenty fast with a 109. TSM guys go 8's with a 109. I wudnt say the block is the weak point id say the tune is the weak point. a $35k TA built Duttweiler motor will melt just as fast as any other if its not tuned correctly.

ur gettn WAY ahead of urself here and looking to spend a LOT of money.

109 in the 8's is going to crack from the mains to the cam bore....no way around it....yeah youll get some passes but itll crack.

For all intents and purposes its a good block, but a lot of people are saying the tipping point of a 109 block is around 600hp, and my goals within the next month push past that number by about 150-200.
I would worry more about making the 800 first,its not that easy to do,and if you get there you may be surprised how long the 109 can last.

Any input?
I like to see you run what you have like I said in your other thread(y),if you hurt it, you hurt it.running 9s is going to hurt something eventually,exactly what varies.i have broken more bulletproof parts than time bomb parts;)

I appreciate the advice, gentleman. I'm not made of money so id like to save where I can.

My mentality behind having Kenny Duttweiler build my motor has more to do with the pedigree than his overall skill. (That part is a bonus)

As you may know, Mr. Duttweiler has a legendary reputation dating back to the inception of these cars, and I think it would be the coolest thing to have him associated in some way with my car.

It looks like I'll stay with the 109 block for now and set aside some money for the what ifs.