I'm new, just a few questions...

jgonzales

I recently got a pretty good deal on a 1985 T-Type. I, of course, had heard of the famous "turbo buicks", but I never really knew a lot about them. I've been reading as much as possible for about a month or two now. I still have a few unanswered questions that maybe you guys can help me with:

I can't find any info about the stock turbo, any info (or a model or type; Garrett xxx) would help.

No luck on any info about heads either. Valve sizes, etc.

I was also wondering how much an intercooler setup would cost, and if it's worth it.

The engine is currently out of the car. I was changing a head gasket and decided to go ahead and pull the motor, maybe rebuild it? Don't know how much I want to spend on it yet...
Any other information you think I should know would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

If you rebuild it, keep your bearing clearances as tight as possible, these cars have lousy oil pressure at idle!
gnttype is a great place to find info on your car;)

Originally posted by 85GNMIKE
GO TO THE TURBO REGAL WEB SITE.IT WELL HELP YOU:) GOOD INFO. 85GNMIKE

If you're talking about gnttype.org, I've read pretty much everything. I was suprised that I could find the number for the stock turbo, but I couldn't. Maybe I just overlooked it or something. Can someone tell me what it is?

Also, has anyone installed an intercooler on their car? If so, how much did it improve performance?

Thanks...

Do a search here on the intercooler topic. There are always really good posts about it. I'ts kindof taboo with some and others say its almost a must. I personally did it, and don't completely understand why you wouldn't want to unless you were trying to prove some sort of point.

I have an intercooler setup, but have not put it in yet. When I do I will tell you if its worth it. Oh, the stock turbo flows 390 cfm, not very good. Any other questions email me

twostout4u@hotmail.com

Don't know the stock turbo part # but it will take you to 106mph traps max.

Head part # ends in 8445 and are available in the junkyards off of any Buick 3.8L with that #. There really is no such thing as a "turbo" head. Valve sizes, I believe are 1.75 and 1.5. A popular upgrade is to 1.77 intakes. It's not much of a change but the gain is from the shape of the backside of the valve.

I'm one of the people who consider an intercooler a must if you want to go fast without racegas. With an intercooler, every mod you make to the motor after seems to have a greater effect. You don't need to go as big on the cam or turbo and I think the car is overall more streetable when you start going fast. There are people, however that have gone 10s and 11s with no intercooler. The only kit I know of is the Spearco. I ran it for years, cost me $820 5 yrs ago. I don't know what it goes for now.