I'm back and need help

black84

It's been awhile since I came on (5yrs) but thought I would start fixing my gn. As she stands right now, she's all factory except for the below listed things on my signature. I'm wanting to get her up and running strong (11's et) and was wondering how far/fast $5000.00 would take me. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Well that all depends on how good of shape your car is in.....You may spend half of that getting your car in good running order and getting all the required scan and monitoring equipment before you start to mod it...

Well that all depends on how good of shape your car is in.....You may spend half of that getting your car in good running order and getting all the required scan and monitoring equipment before you start to mod it...

I've got a scan master what other monitoring suff would I need. I guess I should ask what would everyone do with $5000.00 if they're car was in good running order. Sorry about that just trying to upgrade all the factory stuff for example whats the biggest turbo I could replace the factory one with.

Thanks I'll check it out!!

Why? Your signature says you have a 1987 GN with a few mods.

If that's true, then go to the recipe section on GNTTPE.org and get some ideas there. If you have a local Buick club near you, contact them and seek out some help. Also can be a good place to buy known parts for a decent price and find a good mechanic who can work on your car if you don't know how.

Why? Your signature says you have a 1987 GN with a few mods.

If that's true, then go to the recipe section on GNTTPE.org and get some ideas there. If you have a local Buick club near you, contact them and seek out some help. Also can be a good place to buy known parts for a decent price and find a good mechanic who can work on your car if you don't know how.

LMAO...

super awesome point.... i need to pay better attention.

A.j.

If you do in fact have an 87 and not an 84,

Get a good fuel pump
60 psi injectors
ta49 turbo
good exhaust
alky kit
turbotweak chip
drag radials
Ported elbow
manual boost controller
There's your 11 sec car

To all, yes I do have a 87' GN I've be wanting to change my name from black84 to black87 but don't know how. :confused: I 've always read to go with a ta-49, or a te-44, but was wondering if i could go a little bigger with a stock block. The other thing I've been wondering is if $5000.00 will get me anywhere? Thanks for all your replies guys!!

If you do in fact have an 87 and not an 84,

Get a good fuel pump
60 psi injectors
ta49 turbo
good exhaust
alky kit
turbotweak chip
drag radials
Ported elbow
manual boost controller
There's your 11 sec car

Hey bro what do you think of my racetronics fuel pump I believe it's a walboro, I thought those were good pumps?

Hey bro what do you think of my racetronics fuel pump I believe it's a walboro, I thought those were good pumps?

Oh yeah they are. I must have read that wrong. Thought you just had a hotwire.

If you go any bigger than a ta49/te44 you will have to get a stall. Both turbos have been in the high 10s. Low 11 seems to be the norm.

No sense in going with a big turbo. A friend and I just had this discussion. It's like saying "my junk is bigger than your junk, but I can't use it worth a damn" See where I'm getting at? I would stick with these turbos unless you plan on building a track star.

But then again it's your car and I'm no authority around here....

Oh yeah they are. I must have read that wrong. Thought you just had a hotwire.

If you go any bigger than a ta49/te44 you will have to get a stall. Both turbos have been in the high 10s. Low 11 seems to be the norm.

No sense in going with a big turbo. A friend and I just had this discussion. It's like saying "my junk is bigger than your junk, but I can't use it worth a damn" See where I'm getting at? I would stick with these turbos unless you plan on building a track star.

But then again it's your car and I'm no authority around here....

AH I see, I've been reading the recipes and it looks like everyone agrees on those two turbos your talking about. Does one have an advantage over the other? I'm basically wanting to build a car that can be driven every other weekend and has a solid 11.5 et in it. I don't know I'm pretty excited I've had the car for over 6 years and I'm finally going try and make her run hard. She's got about 110,000 on her so who knows what I can get out of her. Thanks again

Just incase everyone was wondering I did have a 84' GN I sold right before I bought the 87'.

What I would do is decide on the combo you want. AND also if you are going to run e85 or run alky. 60lb injectors should be plenty for your car and should give you some room. EIther the te44 or ta49 turbo will be good. There's not much difference from what I've read. Pretty much comes down to which one you come across first. Try to get one with a garret housing. You can buy a few things used if you want to save some money (injectors, turbo). A duttneck IC wouldn't be a bad call either but you could just port the necks and still have a improvement over stock. Also I would put in new valve springs and timing chain if you haven't done so and at least port match the timing cover and make sure the gasket is cut correctly so it doesn't block anything off.

Do the spring cleaning on gnttype.org if you haven't...valve springs are a great idea...good fuel system, alky kit (Razor's), the turbos you mentioned are fine....but one more point, if you are building mid 11 sec power, your tranny IS going to break if it's stock, just a matter of time. I did all the bolt ons, third time@ track broke tranny, had spent all my dough on go fast stuff, car sat for 6 mos while I saved for a tranny

Sent from my DROID2

Do the spring cleaning on gnttype.org if you haven't...valve springs are a great idea...good fuel system, alky kit (Razor's), the turbos you mentioned are fine....but one more point, if you are building mid 11 sec power, your tranny IS going to break if it's stock, just a matter of time. I did all the bolt ons, third time@ track broke tranny, had spent all my dough on go fast stuff, car sat for 6 mos while I saved for a tranny

Sent from my DROID2

To late for that, I'll be rebuilding the tranny as well. I'm getting quotes to see where I can ship it to.. Any ideas??

Like I always say, if it isn't broke don't fix it. Wait til it breaks and buy better:biggrin: