ignition switch hard to make start

nero

anyone have this happen before? :::

in park, the key takes a lot of wiggling to move to start?? is this a symptom to a pending problem? if so...what? i wanna tackle it before it craps out at an embarrssaing moment (ie, taking a chic out etc etc) ;)

thanks in advance

-nero-

My GN does that it really sucks.

Worse now that I put the Steadfast collar on it, less room to wiggle. ;)

Probably an interlock thing and misalignment.

When you figure out how and what to adjust let us all know. :)

man i have no clue
this sucks... it stays in lock until after about 10 minutes of wiggling and forcing... yeah forcing..i hate using force on such a small piece but sometimes its all that works... most of the time force doesnt even make it budge... what gives? :confused:

When I dropped the steering column to install my GNX dash I inadvertantly screwed up the column bowl adjustment. To get my key out of the ignition, I would have to take the shifter back & forth from 1st to park until it would finally give. I took it in to the Buick dealership to get it adjusted as I wasn't about to tackle something like that, it's fixed now.

SalvageV6, in reference to the Steadfast Column Guard...mine is getting painted to match the interior and I should have it back in a couple of days. Any install tips or things I should look out for, it looks pretty simple but it's the simple things that always seem to bite me in the ass.

could it be something wrong with the tranny and not shifting allthe way into park?

If it is the shifter interlock, it is NOT hard to fix. There is a linkage from the front of the tranny, up to the steering column. It has a threaded bushing where it connects to the transmission arm, and you can run it up and down, after loosening a lock nut. Twist the collar on the steering column until it is in the position which lets the engine start, then tighten up the locknut. You may have to do some trial and error, since it seems to shift a little when you tighten things up, but a couple of adjustments will get it going.

Great thanks Ormand, another thing on the to do list for the GN.

Mine only takes about 10 seconds of wiggling usually so it should be an easier adjustment, I hope.

Steadfast install is pretty straightforward just make sure you follow the instructions to use the proper key entry way new piece from the selection they give you.

Make sure it is aligned up properly before driving the pins in errr hammering on it. ;)

I didn't paint mine because I thought it might all chip off easily.

Got another one to put on salvageV6 someday but nobody wants to steal that one so I may save it.

Mine has a similar problem. All I do is rotate the column back and forth a little bit. It doesn't move much, but it's enough to allow the key to turn.

Originally posted by Ormand
If it is the shifter interlock, it is NOT hard to fix. There is a linkage from the front of the tranny, up to the steering column. It has a threaded bushing where it connects to the transmission arm, and you can run it up and down, after loosening a lock nut. Twist the collar on the steering column until it is in the position which lets the engine start, then tighten up the locknut. You may have to do some trial and error, since it seems to shift a little when you tighten things up, but a couple of adjustments will get it going.

i'll try this one tomorrow when the rain dries up! Until then, the aforementioned post about some WD40, did the trick!!

thanks all!!!!

well this sucks haha
nothing worked.... wd40 is tempermental as they come... now i got blisters from trying to turn the key :( :eek: :mad:

I would get it adjusted and not pry on it too much. My friends Monte was like that, and he broke a part in there. That's the first time I seen and the dealer seen that part break. That part alone was 40.00 and not made anymore. Just alittle advice not to make things worst.

it'll switch to the accessory option but it wont turn to on/run/start.... =\

the bracket on the driver's side of the tranny...it connects to the shift cable ... before it goes to the shift cable the bracket by the tranny has these rubber looking oval things... are they supposed to hold that rod tightly in place? my rubber oval things haev some play in them

and... the rod connecting to the oval things it has a spring on the other end....should that spring-end also be tightly in place?

my rubber oval things aren't holding that rod tightly.... how do i tighten them? or am i barking up the wrong tree?

I had the same problem with mine. Turned out to be the ignition switch, or ignition lock cylinder is the technical name. Replaced that and problem was solved. I posted instructions on how to do it in your other thread. I can get it done in about 10 minutes.