ignition on buzzer/headlight on chimes help

FlyinGN

all show no go
okay.. I have asked this before but i never did find it.. WHERE is the ignition on buzzer/headlight on chime module? Can someone snap me a digital pic of its location under the dash?? Mine has been disconnected (or died in place) and im looking to replace it.. THANKS

Buick put this module as a plug in at what they call the "Convenience Center", which is anything but convenient. It sits under the dash, between the radio and the steering column, but (unfortunately) all the way back, nearest the dash plate. This makes it just barely accessible if you stand on your head with the seat bottom breaking your back. Or you can remove your radio and reach around, but access is still very tight. Although the chime module plugs in, it has the typical GM locking tabs that your fingers have to find before pulling out the module. It's a major PITA, and you just reminded me that I have to replace mine with the junkyard module I pulled last week.

You need a real skinny kid, preferably a gymnast... LOL

if you put your hand on the section of dash immediately left of the radio, it will be on the opposite side...just inside the lip....

I just pulled mine out and here is what I found: the module I got from a Regal circa 1982 was not the right one. It had 4 terminals which plugged in and had 2 wires coming out of it which also plugged into the convenience center. The chime module in my 87 had no separate wires, and 6 terminals, 4 on top and 2 on bottom. The replacement module didn't chime for the key in ignition nor for the headlights. The trick to getting the module out is to remove the radio and lower the access panel under the driver side dash. There is a horn relay you can see thru the hole where your radio was removed. This has a retainer that you have to lift, then pull out. The module sits right below that. Also lift the retaining clip (this is the PITA part) and pull the module out using one hand up thru the bottom and one hand thru the radio hole.

I ran into the same problem with mine, I grabbed one out of a 85 or 86 Regal and found out its different (I didnt pay anything for it) and had me wondering if the 86/87 turbo Regals are by themselves for this module. My module would randomly chime whenever it wants to, even with the seat belt fastened since I bought the car 3 years ago, but its worse when the weather is colder:confused: Mark

I believe there were two different chime modules that could be in your car depending how and when it was ordered. Early in the 87 model year, the headlights on chime could be ordered individually under code T63 - HEADLAMPS ON INDICATOR or as part of value option packages.

Late in 87, all of the extended build cars had the lights on chime as a mandatory option.

Some cars will not have the optional lights on chime as they came from the factory.

Thanks for the good info, Brian. My car has the T63 option code, which is why I *think* that I should hear a chime when I leave my lights on. My build date is 2/19, btw. Am I barking up the wrong tree to think that a different chime module will give me the headlights on chime? Or is this function controlled outside the module itself?

I never thought about that but you are correct, Brian.. I do have the extend build car...