If you want to build a world class comp. system

Powder

check out the June issue of car audio magazine. The seven time world champion Buick Regal built by Gary Biggs is opened up to reveal his secrets. I didn't think a Regal could sound that great by all the previous posts I've read here.:biggrin:
MLH

I meet Gary a couple of times and his car has always been trick. One of the best sounding G-bodies I've heard, but doesn't beat Richard Clark's GN IMO. OK Greg, chime in!:tongue:
John

I meet Gary a couple of times and his car has always been trick. One of the best sounding G-bodies I've heard, but doesn't beat Richard Clark's GN IMO. OK Greg, chime in!:tongue:
John

Richard Clarks GN was built by SpeakerWorks in Orange, not Richard Clark, he just bought it...

Eric Holdaway of Speakerworks did build the car, but Richard made several changes to the system in the car after he purchased it. Both he and Eric have commented on the changes made to the car. Do a few searches and you'll find them (no flame intended). I got to hear the car both ways and like the way it sounded after the changes better.
John

Eric Holdaway of Speakerworks did build the car, but Richard made several changes to the system in the car after he purchased it. Both he and Eric have commented on the changes made to the car. Do a few searches and you'll find them (no flame intended). I got to hear the car both ways and like the way it sounded after the changes better.John
Edit - I like the way it sounded in either configuration. But to me it sounded it's best right after RC bought it with a few minor changes. It was not any where near as nice right before it disappeared. In the end RC just packed the car away in a warehouse. I talk to him every year at Nats, when he's there, and cannot convince him to bring the car.
John

Gary Biggs is a cool cat, I have judged his car and competed against it. It does things so well, its spooky. He is a great sound tuner, designer, builder, and wealth of knowledge. If you enjoy sound, and have a Buick , go get this. It spills the beans for sure!!
Eric holdaway and the Speaker Works family was the originator of the Richard Clark car. Richard did chenge a few things, but with SWs help! I have heard both cars and I put Biggs > Clark.... but thats a hard one, especially in the time gap. Considering the 15 year gap, RC is still the man, he made guys like Biggs go that extra mile.
Buicks are repped well in the history of IASCA!

Edit - I like the way it sounded in either configuration. But to me it sounded it's best right after RC bought it with a few minor changes. It was not any where near as nice right before it disappeared. In the end RC just packed the car away in a warehouse. I talk to him every year at Nats, when he's there, and cannot convince him to bring the car.
John

Well, I have heard that the changes he made did not do the orignial justice. From reading the Kenwood amps were not as good as the original Alpine.
I think he also added some midbass 4" up front...

Speakerworks has tons of pictures of the car in the shop..

Correct, the Kenwood amps were nasty. They were in it the last time I heard the car (92 or 93). I never got to see that install.

I have to agree with Greg that the time difference between the cars makes them hard to compare. But I go with Clark > Biggs just for the stealth of the install. The memory of exactly how each car sounded makes the SQ too hard to compare. Greg, I always heard that Eric & Pat did not agree with the changes RC made to the car.:confused: I would love to see the photos taken while the car was being constructed. I read on a couple of audio boards that there are hundreds.

Both cars, in their prime (Biggs - now, RC - 90 or 91 and Holdaway - 88 just for fun:rolleyes: ), side by side would be sweet!:cool: :D Throw away everything on the judging sheet except SQ, no install or SPL.;) :tongue:
John

Another high profile GN was that of Holly Mungals from Canada I believe. Any of you guys judge that one?? Was always curious what he had going on inside. Windows were tinted so couldn't see much and it was always locked up, except for when he went through the judging lanes. Front stage.. sub box desgin.. any old pics?

Think somebody said JL Audio did one as well, have yet to see pics of it either.

Another high profile GN was that of Holly Mungals from Canada I believe. Any of you guys judge that one?? Was always curious what he had going on inside. Windows were tinted so couldn't see much and it was always locked up, except for when he went through the judging lanes. Front stage.. sub box desgin.. any old pics?

Think somebody said JL Audio did one as well, have yet to see pics of it either.

I never heard Holly Mungals car, I want pics again, I have lost mine since that was so long ago. I heard the Sw GN of RC before the kenwood swap. You know what they say Kenwood, I wouldn't!
BTW in Sq only, Biggs today is well ahead of RC 18 yrs ago, the comp is way tougher now, and RCs experince has been used to develop better drivers, line silencers, and imaging techniques.

I never got to hear Holly Mungals car. Heck I can't really remember the car. I did get to hear/see the JL Audio car, but it was one of the early installs when JL was only doing subs, nothing smaller than a 8" driver and no electronics. I have pics of the install somewhere in the thousands of paper based pics from the old days.

The JL car was WAY too bright sounding for me and next to no mid-bass. Too many MB Quart metal dome tweets and not enough mid-bass drivers. Alpine head unit, Jim Fosgate surround processor, Audio Control EQ's, PPI amps, MBQ 6's (2 under dash), mids & tweets (4 & 2 tweets in center, 4 & tweet on each end of dash, 4 & tweet in each upper door panel, 5 1/4 & tweets in rear), 8 JL 10W6's 4th order iso'ed in trunk (if I remember correctly).
John

Forgot to post that I talked with RC at Nats last week. The car is STILL not back together.:eek: :confused: He didn't sound as if he has any real interest in getting it back together.:frown:
John