If it wasn't for bad luck...

yullose

Certified Gun Nut
I'd have NO luck at all. :mad:

I ran to Autozone this afternoon to grab a few gallons of antifreeze for the hotrods. It's been starting to finally get cold around here, so I figured it was time to dump the water.
A couple weeks ago I pulled the lower rad hose off the Camaro sitting in the trailer outside and drained the water... leaving just what was left in the block temporarily.
The GN stays in the (semi-heated) garage.

I came back from Autozone with 3 gallons of Prestone.

I crawled into the trailer to put the lower hose back on the Camaro... and started dumping antifreeze back in. I got two gallons in and wondered where it was all going...
Apparently it was running out of the freeze plug that was pushed out of the drivers side of the block. :rolleyes:
I looked at the passenger side, and sure as $hit, that one is about to fall out too...

Both freeze plugs are in impossible locations, so now the goddamn motor has to come out. I just hope to God it didn't crack the (Hi-dollar Chevy Bowtie) block.

I just can't catch a break. I feel like such a fvcking douchebag sometimes. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSC06201 (2).JPG
    DSC06201 (2).JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 444
Wow, sorry to hear that man. U think maybe it got a lil to cold one night when u had only water in there so it popped the plugs

Hope we all are reading this and take the time to make sure they are ready for the low temps.

Best of luck to you dude. You have had a rough and expensive year!:redface:

Wow, sorry to hear that man. U think maybe it got a lil to cold one night when u had only water in there so it popped the plugs

I think it must have happened in just the last night or two.

I woke up today and saw it was in the 20's... Up until now, it's been pretty warm and mild.

Hope we all are reading this and take the time to make sure they are ready for the low temps.

Best of luck to you dude. You have had a rough and expensive year!:redface:

You ain't kidding...

At least the GN was in the garage and stayed above freezing. I actually had a little coolant in it anyway, so it would have lasted longer than the Camaro.
The Camaro was just pure tap water in the cooling system.

It was my own stupid fault for procrastinating. Nobody to blame but myself for this one.

Maybe someone will read this and realize "Oh-$hit, I need to dump some antifreeze in my radiator" and it will save somebody else a big headache. :cool:

that sucks man...... Ya today was one cold bitxh

And windy as heck too...

I swapped cars in the trailer, putting my GN in that and the Camaro in the garage. The motor is almost ready to pull already. Just 'gotta get underneath and hit the converter and bellhousing bolts tomorrow and it's ready to lift out.

Test the GN antifreeze. I had a mix that was good to 25*. Now its good to -28*.

Test the GN antifreeze. I had a mix that was good to 25*. Now its good to -28*.

That's not a bad idea... I need to invest in a new tester... haven't seen mine in a long time. (I'll probably find it the day I buy a new one)

And just an FYI... the car in question is the one I drove on the Pass Time show, with Greg Anderson and Jason Line as contestants. :D

Now I get to hang over those nice shiney fenders to yank the motor.

The car just came back from getting detailed at the body shop a few weeks ago too.

Attachments

• me at zmax.jpg
    me at zmax.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 433
  • me at zmax2.jpg
    me at zmax2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 446
Yeah, I'll grab one on the way out shortly.

The wife and I are headed out soon for much needed drinks. ;)

You really got some pretty toys there.

Yeah, I'll have to agree with you...the Camaro is "Jiminy Christmas!" beautiful! Love that blue, and some serious engine output there. Can't imagine how frustrated you must feel. I sure would be. But what a beautiful Camaro. Nicest I've seen in a very long time and so badass stance.;)
Me, being on a fixed income, can't afford to procrastinate...I do all my cars in the fall, every year whether I feel like it or not. Owning cars is a bitch and pain in the butt sometimes, but they HAVE to be taken care of. If I had to pull that beautiful engine like yours out, I'd jump off a bridge. But...this situation really sucks, know how frustrating it will be....you did all of us a valuable lesson to show how important it is to take care of our cars before this crap can happen. I admire you're man enough to blame yourself for this. This alone, if I lived near, I'd gladly come over and help you for nothing. No beer, no pizza, no Nicole Kidman...nothing. I feel bad for you. And...Merry Christmas to you...new engine parts under the tree maybe?:rolleyes: I know you'll be more aware next time. You're no dummy.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Bruce

Reading - Pennsylvania Weather current conditions, forecast, satellite Map on Yahoo! Weather
Since it's 28 now you should do it ASAP or get it back in the semi- heated garage. Your forecast is a cold one for a while.

Oh yeah, Jeez, it's 21 degrees right now outside here in Central Virginia. Cold as a witche's tit. Glad my babies (cars in layman's terms) are tucked away in my first and only garage. No antifreeze problems, thank goodness. Jeez, it's cold out there. Damit.....perfect weather for my Grand National's turbo....IT LOVES COLD AIR!!!!!!:eek: But it's still on jackstands being restored slowly but lovingly. Cold air is a turbobuick's best friend. I should be out terrorizing the hangouts tonight, so I guess I'll just sit here on my fat ass and type. (sigh):(

Bruce '87 Grand National

Just got back from dinner, drinks and Christmas shopping for the kids (in that order) :D

After dinner I stopped and grabbed a $3 antifreeze tester from Autozone... came back to the house and checked the GN...

It says I'm good for +10 degrees. It won't get nearly that cold tonight...(maybe low 20's) so tomorrow I'll drain the radiator and stick 2 more gallons of Prestone in it for the Winter.

I have a guy bringing another GN over tomorrow morning for me to do some electrical work on... so I doub't I'll get the motor out tomorrow. Totally forgot he was dropping his car off.

Once I get the motor out of the Camaro, I'll push new freeze plugs in and pressure test the cooling system on the engine stand to see if anything gets into the crankcase. I'll be really bummed if it does... but I do have a spare block to use if needed. Only problem is it's a tall deck block... so I'd need either a set of +.400 rods or maybe a whole nuther rotating assy.

The motor in the car now is a (short deck) 565... If it turns out to be cracked, I'll use the tall deck block to build a 598 or 632. Both blocks have the same identical bore sizes too. (4.604")

I REALLY wasn't looking for another Winter project. :rolleyes:

Oh... and before I forget... I appreciate the props, but the car is technically owned by my kid brother. I built the car and it's mine to play with, but the title and expense is his. :D

That sucks man. Look at it this way, would you rather pull the motor and replace a freeze plug or pull the motor and throw it away? I hope the freeze plug is all that it needs. I'll be in PA in about a week, I just love the cold weather :rolleyes::mad:

Just finished adding more antifreeze to the GN.

The tester says I'm good to -35 now. I hope that's good enough. :D

The Camaro will need to go on the back burned for now... I have a new project that needs my attention. Just wish it was mine. ;)

What a gorgeous car this is...

Attachments

• DSC07979 (2).JPG
    DSC07979 (2).JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 347
  • DSC07983 (2).JPG
    DSC07983 (2).JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 347
Sorry to hear that. I had that happen on my old 1987 T. Two plugs actually popped out. One was right behind one of the motor mounts. Don't ask me how, but I was able to pop a new one in while everything was still in the car. If I remember correctly, I used a long ratchet extension to force a new one back into the hole. Good luck.

Sorry to hear that. I had that happen on my old 1987 T. Two plugs actually popped out. One was right behind one of the motor mounts. Don't ask me how, but I was able to pop a new one in while everything was still in the car. If I remember correctly, I used a long ratchet extension to force a new one back into the hole. Good luck.

Yeah, the Camaro is easier to work on in some respects, but others are more difficult. The headers are a tight squeeze and the kickout oil pan makes it impossible to remove the starter with the motor in the car.
I may use this opportunity to put a bigger/better set of headers and exhaust on it now too. The dual 3" full exhaust is choking the motor pretty bad. It's only going 10-teens right now and should be capable of 9.60's-9.80's without the nitrous. It only ran 10.16 @ 133 on the Pass Time show... and quite frankly I was a little embarrased. Now is a good time to step it up a bit.