Idle screws in all the way?

Well im some will remember me from all my crazy questions from a few months ago. Still can't get the car to run right. Just to remind all i have a 80 231 turbo, all stock, new rebuild (bearings,rings,pistons,valve job, remanufactured carb, rebuilt turbo, rebuilt trans with stage 2 shift kit). The problem i'm having i think might be a vacuum leak but it doesn't show on a vac guage.
If i don't turn my idle mixure screws in ALL the way the car will start dumping black smoke out the exhaust. Also at that setting of having the screws in all the way if i try to drive it she's real sluggish at first but smooths out. But if i get on it, it bogs down or sometimes sounds like it wants to backfire out of the carb but hasn't yet. I have my base timing at 16 degrees i believe.
Please help, i'm only 20 and this is my first rebuild. So far this site has helped a ton, heck, before i found this site i didn't know i needed my pecv. lol.

Checked the float and all seems well. I even lowered it just a smidge to make sure and to no effect.
Also with the car in park and idling after being warmed up if i slowly give it gas it does fine but if i push on the gas hard it has a hesitation. I'm sure this also goes along with it in drive where if i ease into it, it does alright but if i romp on it she bogs and slowly builds rpm's.

On some of the old carbs, the mixture screws are backwards. If you turn them all the way clockwise, they get richer, not leaner. Try turning them all the way counterclockwise and see if it leans out.

Well I tried turning the screws out all the way. The result, lotsa black exhaust. It's like the car is haunted. What to do......:confused:

Well i took the carb apart and was checking it out. Trying to figure out what the deal is. What if the thingy that stops the power valve from going down all the way was up to high? Does anyone what that thing is called? I can't find it in the doug roe book.

Roe's book...pg 74

"The power piston must be 1.950-1.955-in. long, not including the APT pin at the bottom of the pistoon. Measure and reassemble to this length."

The bottom left pic shhhows it being measured. Since you have it apart check this piece, it would cause a rich condtion.

Also check pg 80, it has a good section on the power piston.
HTH
Jim

Well i measured it. The measuerment came to 1.351. So i'm going to try and recalibrate it without breaking the darn thing. I'll letcha know the results.

OK, scratch that last statement. After examining my power valve, and one i pulled out of another carb to compare. It doesn't look like it needs to be that length. I did however discover a sticking accelerator pump. So i swapped that one with a new one and the "lean spot" or miss or whatever is gone but it's still boggy.

Back up a little...

On every Qjet I've ever worked on, if the car even RUNS with the mixture screws in all the way, you have a fuel leak somewhere. Have you checked the float bowl plugs on the bottom to see if they are leaking?