Idle Adjustment?

phicho

Where is the idle adjustment? I recently installed a 160 thermostat and now the idle is fast. Unless I am putting my foot into it and repeatedly into boost the temp is at 160 or less, particulaly when the outside temp is cool. This is according to the temp guage. I wonder if the ecm thinks engine is cold and is in the fast idle warmup mode. Stock 84 with 126,000 miles, runs good. Do I need the 160 degree thermostate or should I run stock? This is a great site. Thanks to all of the seniors who take the time to reply to us new guys and answer the same questions over and over.

The idle is controlled by the ecm. The idle air control valve probably needs adjustment which can only be correctly done with a scan tool. This is the torx screw next to the TV cable on the throttlebody. So a search on the adjustment procedure. Brad

Thanks Brad! Another question.

Do I need the 160 thermostat, or should I stick with factory? Can the cooler thermostat cause the fast idle?

160 thermostat is for power, 180 mid, stock 192 is to help MPG. I have used them all, I'm sticking with 180.

Take your pick.