ID manifold and turbo please

CamoDeafie

2948544_17_full.jpg

this is an old picture of a friend's 84 Buick Century with a 3.0L v6...on his CarDomain page, he mentioned he got the intake manifold off a 1979 Turbo equipped car, its clearly a Buick since the engine is a buick motor... not sure whats the turbocharger, it doesnt look like the usual 3 bolt "footed" snails that sits above the intake manifolds, nor does it look like it has much room in a standard F-R engine bay of the Regals... its a draw-through system, and in this next photo showing the donor engine bay if that would help?

29485440018_large.jpg

i've another friend who might be able to score a 301T complete turbocharger system minus the manifold and engine from a 1980/1981 Trans Am at a yard if its complete...my question, would the turbocharger mount need be modified to mount to a V6 intake manifold due to size differences? I;m not sure if the 301T turbo;s 3 bolt "foot" will be the same size as a v6's...

damn you know your sh!t. still got an unanswered question about the 301T turbine housing fit B4B Regal V6 intake manifold?

Yep I have alot of useful and useless info in my head. I didn't see that 2nd question right off lol I got it now. Nope the 301 turbo won't just bolt on the buick intake, like you thought it was right the compressor foot is bigger.

doesnt surprise me. so i;d need to fabricate some sort of adapter thats not too thick, but not too thin and find a way to get it to fit the intake manifold bolt holes and be able to bolt the turbo on...my guess is that the holes overlap and doesnt clear each other, so either way, i'd need to send it to someone to convert housings to a smaller housing, or some such.... as a machinist by training; i can't really see how i can make an adapter no greater than 1/2 inch that would have all 6 holes clearing each other, without reversing the mounting of the turbo, or "clocking" it.. requiring quite a bit more custom work lol

EDIT: Actually; whats the consequences of "flipping" the manifold around on a carbed engine? are there specific holes that cars about which way the manifold is oriented? I'm thinking the EGR and the PCV valve system would be 2 of these holes....I dont see a specific cutout on either side for the Distributor....unlike other engines..

The way the turbo mounts may let you use one off an 86-87 car. See if you can get some pics of the two seperated.

hmm what do you mean a manifold from a 86-87 car? a SFI manifold or? cuz if EFI manifold, theres already the FWD 3.8 EFI manifold that will work lol

durr. lol if i find the Riv manifold like the one in the pic, then i could conceievably use a better turbocharger from the 86+ cars is what you meant?

Yep. That's exacly what I ment. You'll need an intake adaptor to mount the carb but I don't think it would be a problem.

hmm i've a design in mind for the carb to standard 86-87 turbo...basically it consists of welding a "collar" onto a L shaped plate, which has holes for the carb's pathways and mounts, and welding an elbow of sorts that the fuel/air mix would go without any loss in flow or speed...if thats possible?