IAT question

turbowrenchhead

Drive like you stole it!
I was wondering if a IAT can be installed on the pressure side after the i/c. If it can take it is it benifical? Or do you want the IAT temps low as possiable. It would be nice to see what kind of intake temps are after the i/c.

MAT, IAT......same difference...

It can be installed after the Intercooler, but a while back I remember some posts about when people installed the IAT sensor in the intake they got extremely high readings. This could have been because of heat soak in the Intake. The casting/intake gets warm, and when it does that it will heat up the sensor that is screwed into it.

The sensor is then giving false information to you beause it is being heat soaked, and it is not able to measure the temp. of the incoming air accurately.

You COULD place the sensor is one of your rubber Intake piping hoses, but when you boost the car it has a tendency to "pop out" because of the boost pressure.

Just some info that others have learned!

Couldn't you just like tape the MAT sensor somewhere near the front of the car and just let it sit there not screwed into anything? It reads outside air temp, why does it need to be inside the air intake? Couldn't you just let it sit behind the cruise control thing or something? Or maybe behind the headlight? A lot easier to install that way :)

Dave

Since most aftermarket chips ignore the IAT anyway, place it where you want to know the temp. In the manifold it does tend to heatsoak and show artificially high readings but in the intercooler plumbing it works great. I would rather know the temp of the air going into the motor whether than the temp going in the turbo. I'm thinking about placing two, one before the intercooler and one after to compare temps.