I think I have a fake GN...

madhat

-My RPO codes says its a GN...but it doesnt say it should come w/ locking t-tops(did they make non-locking t-tops in 86? if so what was the code?)(possibly wrong RPO sticker placed in trunk?)
-Part of the steering column moves when I shift.
-Atleast part of my console is a junkyard special(the shifter bracket was total rust and the bottom of the gear indicator/ashtray peice has a sticker from a junkyard on it
-The upholstry is Poston(surely the seats werent wasted after 48,000 miles)
-There is a dimple in the header panel where a hood emblem should go...I suspect front end damage, but it could just be that he didnt get a fresh header panel when he painted it.
-Got the car w/ a 2004r w/ not even the stock GN servo in it(but the valve body is correct)
-I have a 'K' after 1G4G in the vin....

RPO sticker should have the vin # on it.
steering column coller will move you can take the linkage off yourself I've seen it on numerous GNs

k is an 86

the columns tend to get loose after a lto of years. (4 screws need retightening)

if it had an accident they could use the header off a regal and fill the hole (cheaper than a GN Header)

Could be aftermarket t-tops or non originals, my first monte had aftermarket ones. (can you post a pic of the car?)

if you can find the broadcast sheet behind the back seat, that will also tell you alot. you can look at the cowl tag and the body numbers should match.

RPO sticker's vin(1G4GK4779GP459091) does match. How can I get pics on here? It came w/ some documentation including a "department door pad bcast" which says it is a WE2. The sticker on the door is still there, but got water in it or something and is unreadable. So you could get non-locking tops in 86? I though it might have been wrecked, but I haven't found any proof yet and when I noticed the other things, I though maybe it was because it wasnt a GN.

Sounds like a real GN - just been throught the ringer a bit.
Alot can happen to a car in 45,000 miles.

Enjoy the car and quit worrying...GN (WE2) was just a trim package.

Originally posted by arista5
usually aftermarket t-tops are nonlocking

I'll bet the non-locking tops are orig. I ordered an '86 Monte SS in July '85, was delayed due to non-availability of locking tops. Finally told them screw it, I wanted it. It was finally delivered with non-locking tops in Nov. Does yours have 'CC1' on the RPO sticker? RPO codes here: http://www.gnttype.org/numbers/rpo.html

David

Actually - a WE4.

My point was, enjoy the car.
Building a fake GN is so incredibly easy and impossible to ID... I wouldn't lose sleep over it...unless you bought it for value only.

The only thing that can truely be "GN" is the actual RPO tag it self & those are removed for a number of good (and bad) reasons.

I'd say worse case, you have a GN that has been in a few wrecks. If repaired properly, you should be fine.

If the t-tops are close to the windshield, they are the OEM if there is a wide gap (2/2.5" or more) they are the aftermarket ones.

RE fake GN

I have one question about tring to build a fake gn what about the gray dash material the reg regals didn't get that material on the dash. did they . the only car i can think of that may come close to being a clone is a we4 but did the T's get the leather dash?

The Dash in a WE4 (or any regal with a grey interior) and a GN are identical.
Not leather either - just molded rubber/plastic...they simply changed the color for the different interiors

They did have different greys...but it varied. Some were darker than others. It had nothing to do with "GN" or not, it had to do with the color they were running that day.

I personally like the darker grey dashes my self.

Under console shifter mechanism usually is brown with surface rust. As far as the 45K.........yeah, sure, you and everybody else. :D

Originally posted by Red Regal T
Under console shifter mechanism usually is brown with surface rust. As far as the 45K.........yeah, sure, you and everybody else. :D

LOL-

yeah, i guess im lucky, ALL of my cars are column shifted and they dont have the rusty shifter in them- every car that ive torn apart, they all have some surface rust on the shifters, guess they didnt even prime them-

BW

I used a table grinder, as much as I could, to get all the rust off then decided to paint it black. I have 67,000 now.