I think I found my oil for life in the GN.

cool 84

Got hotair?
I just ran across Amsoil's new line of racing oil and it's exactly what I've been asking them to make for a year now. Up until now I've only run their oil in my TL which happens to be their diesel VII less 30wt.

I'm a big fan of oils with no VIIs (viscosity index improvers) and these oils have no VIIs. It is much less likely to shear under high loads and temps and more likely to retain it's viscosity over it's lifespan. I feel this is especially important in our torque monster cars. The fact that the 30wt has a HTHS of 3.6 shows it's pretty robust. Redline is another product and the only other one I know of that uses no VIIs in their racing oils.

Where the Amsoil scores with me is the fact that it does have some detergents and more importantly, a TBN of 8 which means unlike many racing oils, this one should be able to go 5,000+ miles.

And just what we need, it's absolutely loaded with zinc for our flat tappet cams. No need to add the zinc separately.

So basically:

It's VII-less so it's a straight weight that naturally flows well enough when cold to be called a 10-30 and 15-50.

It has tons of Zinc for flat tappets.

It has some detergents and friction modifiers.

It has has a TBN of 8 which is pretty high for a race oil meaning you can run it for a normal length interval.

They're a little on the heavy side for the respective viscosities with an 11.5 KV@100C for the 30 and 17.5 for the 50wt.

There are other racing and street oils that have these properties but this is the first I've seen to combine all of them in one oil. There's also a 20wt but I don't plan on trying that one. Maybe I get too excited over oil lol.

New Amsoil

Is it OK for the weekend driver?
How does it compare to Mobil 1 10-30?
Is the price through the roof, like everything else?

Is it OK for the weekend driver?
How does it compare to Mobil 1 10-30?
Is the price through the roof, like everything else?

For the weekend driver it's great. That's why I think it's such a great oil because it has race oil qualities but also has detergents and a good base number for the street driven cars. It has a combo is Esters and PAO as the base oil. The esters are good at sticking to parts when they sit for a while and they are very good at keeping things clean.

Compared to M1, its much more robust. The HTHS number is very important and it's nearly a full point higher than the same weight M1. Besides, M1, especially the 30wt (not counting their EP line) are known to shear to a 20 weight fairly easily.

Price is up there. If I remember it's around $10 a quart but the dealers will usually work with you on that. One way to think about it is you can go a bit longer in between changes so it's not that big of a hit.

How does this Amsoil compare with the Valvoline VR-1 Racing Oil (the street legal one, 10W30), Part Number VV205??:confused:

I use to run Amsoil in my race quads (trx 450r) and blew a lot of motors. Now I discovered Rotella, it seems like the oil stays cleaner a lot longer than Amsoil. Haven't tried it yet in my grand national but soon it will. Anybody have any comments with running it in a GN. I figure if its durable enough for a deisel it will handle the blow by the GN bleeds down through the cylinders.

I use to run Amsoil in my race quads (trx 450r) and blew a lot of motors. Now I discovered Rotella, it seems like the oil stays cleaner a lot longer than Amsoil. Haven't tried it yet in my grand national but soon it will. Anybody have any comments with running it in a GN. I figure if its durable enough for a deisel it will handle the blow by the GN bleeds down through the cylinders.

FYI

Rotella is not made to used in high rpm engines. Rotella was engineered to be used in diesel motors. Call the engineers at Shell and they will fill you in. Diesels do not spin that high.

I know many have used it.

I use 20w-50 Valvoline off-road VR1 racing oil.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Not to take this thread off track, but you might want to do a search. Rotella reformulated about 6 or 8 months back. Naturally they removed some of the anti-scuff agents including ZDDP. Lots of info under GM EOS, EOS, ZDDP, ZDDPlus, Etc.

FYI

Rotella is not made to used in high rpm engines. Rotella was engineered to be used in diesel motors. Call the engineers at Shell and they will fill you in. Diesels do not spin that high.

I know many have used it.

I use 20w-50 Valvoline off-road VR1 racing oil.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
My high compression(15:1) atv runs about 12,000 rpm's haven't had an issue yet. We even run it in our tranny's. It performs great under hot extreme's.
I'm been running valvoline vr1 in the buick too.

because thats what my builder told me to run ;) got to trust him with my new motor and hes the one that built the 8sec 109 buick motor

Any reason why? :confused:
With turbo charged GN's there's a lot of blow by getting past the rings under boost which causes your oil to get contaminated with gas, this causes the oil to thin out over time. I like to run thicker oil for this reason.:)

In the event of a rebuilt motor, I think that it is best to go by the recommendation of your motor builder. Pretty much goes by what clearances your motor builder ends up with and what he believes is best for his motors.