I need some opinions re: wheels

mjdwyer23

Woosh WaGoN
Hey everyone-
I'm having a tough time making a good decision here. My good friend has 2 sets of wheels for sale that I'm looking at to replace the 87 GN ones on the wagon, a set of Centerline Telstars that are 15x4.5 and 15x8.5 with less than 100 miles and have brand new tires, or a set of clear coated 15x8 and 15x6 Weld Draglites that are new in the box. He's giving me a great deal on both, 600 for the Telstars with tires and 400 for the Draglites. What would you do?? Thanks for your help everyone...

Wheels

I say what ever floats your boat and makes you happy because you will always have critics on your choice. Even though the GN wheels pry look cool on the car they are not a light weight . So they do hurt your performance.

Steve

I don't think Telstars come in 4.5 and 8.5 (4 & 8 ).....be that as it may, you need to know the backspace...it should be 4" on the Telstars

the Draglites should have either 4 or 3.5 BS....they are more of a hassle because you need long studs to use them....on the other hand, if they are 3.5 BS, you can fit a bigger tire than the Telstars will handle

My mistake, they are 8's and 4's, I have arp long studs on the back and stock GN ones on the front, would I need new ones to make the welds fit? Also, I drive this car all the time, would the 4" front telstars be appropriate for daily driving? thanks for your help

Why would you need long studs to use draglites??
All you would need is shank style lug nuts... Unless I'm missing something.. I have run welds for ages...

No flame, just wondering about that statement..

if you go to the dragstrip, I don't think the stock studs are long enough to pass tech...ie they must protrude thru the wheel by the diameter of the stud.......maybe they are long enough, but everyone I know who runs Drag Lites has longer studs.....and you are "supposed" to have open end lug nuts so they can see

another thing to consider is if you change tires often, the Telstars are much easier to handle mounting and dismounting because of the billet (thin) center section

Tech? What's tech? hehe.... All depends on how fast the car is I suppose. I didn't take tech into account seeing as most boys from the south generally don't have to contend with tech inspections at most of our tracks..

However, better safe than sorry..

See, nothing like some good civil debate.. :)

ill tell you what....i live 10 min from philly....ill take whatever ones that you dont want off his hands....seriously....i prefer the draglites tho.....i think the t-stars would look better on the wagon anyways;) lemme know

i just cheked ur website....sweet car....the GN wheels look awesome! i noticed its on lehigh's edu, i was up lehigh last week for a party....small world

guess I didn't answer all your questions.....I think for street driving, a 4" rim on a TR would not be real comfortable.....I run stock size tires (215X65) on 7" rims up front and they look purty tiny up there...Telstars, BTW

something else to consider, Drag Lites are not really intended for street use....they are fragile, lug bolts tend to loosen......you can easily bend or break them on a curb or pot hole

Telstars are street friendly rims and don't weigh much more

decisions, decisions...........

It's just me but I think Buick hit a home run with the 86-87 stockers. So they wheigh a bit, so what? It's a moot point unless you're racing for $. Since you're running a GN drivetrain why not advertise it with distinct GN wheels with the Trubo 6 logo in the centrecaps.

I don't really like the wheels on there now, I'd like a set of GTA's on there, something flashier you know. Woody, I did not know that draglites gave people so much trouble with street driving, my buddy has a set on his stang and doesn't get any trouble from them. Maybe I'll just save my money and wait until something else comes along, Telstars are sweet looking but 4" in the front is too meager for me. Firebird350- where did you go for the party? I'm a brother at Psi Upsilon, did you have your GN here?

I think the Telstars would look much better then the Autolites on that wagon IMHO.

Hey Chevymd38, is your car in Bethlehem or in Philly? I'm in Easton, right next door and don't ever remember seeing that wagon. What times are you running?

i didnt have my GN there (didnt drive) and i dont know where the hell the party was either...some house...i dont know any of that area...all i know is we went up the turnpike and got off some exit and from there is a blur...especially on the way home;)

my friend from HS is in a frat up there...i havnt talked to him since last year and i forget the name...ill find out is its the same one....

How bout them wheels:cool:

Charged-
I don't have my car here, it's at home in philly (suburbs). I went to the track once in late january last year and ran a 13.2 on spinning ET streets. I'd like to get there this summer sometime. I also think the telstars would look sweet, I just don't like the idea of skinny fronts, which is why I started this thread. Also, I didn't know draglites were so crappy to run on the street. Later