I need instructions for front upper control arm removal

RareT

The Thread Freezer
I'm getting ready to tackle the job of replacing my front upper control arm bushings. Can someone provide detailed instructions on removing the control arm, replacing the bushings, and then re-installing it?

Thanks

Ed

So...am I to assume that no one has done this yet? I will figure it out and post my own instructions afterwards!

:D

Ed

Hey Ed!

I wish I could help you as you've helped me in the past, but I've never done front control arms. (Now if you were doing rears....:)

Best of luck to you! See you at the Nats!

Kristi

I'll jump in on this one, since I've recently done it. It's a simply process but dirty and ugly. If you've never done this, expect the complete R&R to take a whole day, barring any disasters or maimings.

--Get the front of car on jackstands under frame and remove wheels.
--Put a jack under lower control arm. Loosen nut on upper balljoint, but DON'T remove yet.
--Use pickle fork and BFH to separate upper ball joint from spindle.
--Remove ball joint nut, lower jack until the bj is free.
--Remove nuts attaching control arm to frame, remove and mark position and number of alignment shims while you're doing this.
--Remove control arm.
--Replace bushings using your buddy's hydraulic press, a friendly front-end shop, or a big C-clamp. Old bushings may have to be drilled and smashed out. Don't damage control arm while you're doing this.
--Replace upper ball joint by drilling out OEM rivets, then attaching new one with provided bolts.
--Clean and paint control arm nicely.
--Replace control arm using original shim packs.
--Get a wheel alignment

If you want to tackle doing a wheel alignment yourself, there's a detailed how-to on my website or at gnttype.org.

Enjoy...

Exactly what I was looking for!

Thank-you Matt

Hello Kristi, see ya at BG!

Ed

Or if you have access to a air chisel....

Remove the control arm as described above.

Chuck arm in a vice...hold it by the bar is fine. With the air chisel, carefully fold the metal outer sleeve of the bushing. then grab the l,ip and air chisel the bushing out. Do this for both. Installing is even easier. Put the bushhings on the shaft. Start tightening the nuts on the bar until you see the ears of the arm starting to flex. Then, using your air chisel from the wisid, buzz the ear of the arm and watch the bushings walk in. If you were closer i's do them for you. With the arms out its a 5 mn job tops