I need all the opinions I can get on replacement front speakers

Intercooler

The previous owner installed what looks to be Infinity 3" speakers. I don't like the sound and want to put something decent there before putting the new speaker cover on. Is their a plate setup or something simply awesome to put up there? TIA

to just use the dash location, no not much else you can do. Check out all the local car stereo shops and listen to any 3.5's they have on the display board and see if they sound better than what is in yours already.

I have 2 blaupunkt overdrive 3.5 speakers out of my old car that i was going to put in my t-type, but the previous owner put 4" speakers on the doors. someday when i have the money I would like to buy some new blaupunkt speakers to replace these mtx's i have. There GREAT speakersi have absolutely no complaints with them, they cound great. there 2 ways with aluminum injected cone and dome tweeter, if they would fit i would keep them. if your intrested make me an offer. http://www.blaupunktusa.com/speakers/speakers_01_odxa.asp thats their site, its the odxa352

Bass in a 3 1/2" speaker? You dreaming? Do you have a sub? May be you should bias more to the rear if you think they are too bright.

Something more pleasing to the ear up front. If I balance it to the back the fronts seem worthless.

Best thing to do is get a good set of 3 1/2's. Looks like you have Infinity Reference 3 1/2's - those will work. Put a filter on them so they do not try to play signal freqs that they were not designed for. Supplement the loss of bass with the speakers in the factory door location 5 1/4's. Be sure to put the correct filter on the 5 1/4's to attenuate freqs above around 300 hz . Vocals should not eminate from your feet. Car will look stock and you will have decent imaging and still a precence of bass up front. I set up a friend of mines GN with like this using the factory 5 1/4's. Can't get much more budget minded than that. However you would get more bass with aftermarket speakers because they are better, newer, and the correct impedance. Car sounds great and you would never know there is a system in the car other than looking at the radio. Mine is very similar except I made wood baffles where the 5 1/4's are and put 6 1/2's. Still looks "almost" factory, just bigger. More bass.

Man, I can't believe what some trying to do with 3.5" speakers. Honestly, I don't know everything, but I do have experience. Look into Q-Logics custom kick panels that can acquire a 1" and 6.5" component speakers. You'll have better sound and imaging from this setup. You won't get the big sound from a 3.5" or a 4x6" speaker...there is no way. The last thing I would want to do is cut up the door panels to fit larger speakers. That is not very appealing and destroys the image of the interior. Just my 2 cents. Just satisfy your combo to your liking and no one else's. Good luck.

Tee

You won't get the big sound from a 3.5" or a 4x6" speaker
You have not heard my car then. Also, I guess then Bose and various other manufacturers who make those small satellite home speakers don't sound good either. :confused: :confused: Within reason bigger speakers do not reproduce vocals or highs any better than smaller ones. The smaller ones just cannot play the lower freqs. So if you attenuate the lows and supplement the loss with other speakers you can get a factory looking unobtrusive installation.

i'm sorry gnntta, i must have half asleep when i replied to this post. bigger is not always better that is true, the topic was about another alternative towards a 3.5" coax speaker. I had the infinity reference in the stock location. i was not impressed. you talked about using a 5.25" in the door, but the concert II sound baffle accomodated a 4x6 speaker. are we talking about a stock look? or did you make alterations to fit the 5.25? skys the limit with sound systems and designs. i was just throwing out ideas and didn't mean to bag a company like BOSE, who i like and use at home. i was thinking of supplying the midbass upfront with larger speakers would be the way to go. so sorry for the confusion.

tee

Originally posted by GNandTTA
I guess then Bose and various other manufacturers who make those small satellite home speakers don't sound good either. :confused: :confused:

Ummmm, nothing personal but those Bose home speakers ARE crap and really only for the "unknowing" enthusiasts. Go to any GOOD home audio store and the Bose systems are entry level. My KEF's at home make ANY Bose speaker sound like garbage...Although for some people 13.0 is "plenty" fast in the 1/4 mile where others feel like they are in a Pinto if they arent going atleast 11 seconds...I dont mean anything personal..just the facts

I agree that Bose speakers do not sound the best. But they are an example of the overall trend by most home audio manufacturers to use small drivers, often under 3", along with a remote subwoofer to obtain full range sound. It can be done in car audio as well.

I understand that the trend is going with smaller drivers because they save space..however...in your post you made the comment "I guess then Bose and various other manufacturers who make those small satellite speakers dont sound good either"? with kind of a sarcastic twist.

My simple answer is that, No, they dont sound good, and it is because they are so small that they cant reproduce a full frequency range like you said. Sure you can add a subwoofer but all that does is "crutch" your inferior satellite speakers. When it comes to home audio you really get what you pay for. It is better to save up and have an awesome 2.1 system than a crappy 4.1 or even 5.1 system in my opinion.

I've heard some of the small satellite systems and I think they sound great. Gone, thankfully, are the days of having to have large speakers cluttering up your room. Properly designed, and placed, small drivers can sound very good. This pertains to the GN as well. Just throwing any 3 1/2 in the dash without the proper filters is not going to sound good. But using high quality drivers with the correct filters can sound great.

thats cool. i guess i am kind of an audio elitist. i like to have the best of the best within financial means. i guess to each their own, if it makes you happy then that is what is most important right?