i need a cam recipe too

kmarino

motor was built by Mike Christian 7 or so years ago. i believe the cam in it is a 210/205 or 205/210. supposedly thats what he liked to put in the motors from what i heard. previous owner had it rebuilt. anyway, stock bottom, stock heads, headers, turbo......goin with MSD 50lb injectors. 3 inch dp,ported elbow 2 1/2 free flowing exhuast. power plate, under drive pullies. definitly a budget build so no roller cam. been doin alot of reading here and i see some are saying stay away from certain lifters and companies. any advice will be greatly appriciated!!!!!

whats wrong with the cam thats in it? i dont know much about anything but i would say if you dont want to jump up to a roller cam i would keep the cam you have in it.

It might be a Reed 210-205. I have ridden in two Buicks that easily went 11.2s and had great street manners with that cam. One had Champion irons and the other had GN1s non-ported.

thinkin of portin my stock heads. but with 3 projects alltogether its hard to put cash where its needed most (dam craigslist!!!!) but the cam in my car is makin alot of noise, runnin rich and poorly. everything else is good, like headgaskets and such. think the cam just went flat. these stock style lifters beat the camshafts up i was told by a buick mechanic. im thinkin cam,portin heads , stiffer springs and goin from there

What are your goals? 10's 11's 12's? Then the cam is not all that important.
Get some decent head work, grab a cam from one of the vendors & make sure the Machine Work is Done Right!! That is most important, not cam choice.

id like to see mid to low 12s. this motor is supposed to be good for high to mid 12s (with the right driver i imagine)

I have a brand new flat tappet 204/214 cam and lifters with roller cam button and am also in STL if you are interested.

i have a used aftermarket cam and lifters not sure of the specs on the cam. but all in good working order ill sell cheap

thinkin of portin my stock heads. but with 3 projects alltogether its hard to put cash where its needed most (dam craigslist!!!!) but the cam in my car is makin alot of noise, runnin rich and poorly. everything else is good, like headgaskets and such. think the cam just went flat. these stock style lifters beat the camshafts up i was told by a buick mechanic. im thinkin cam,portin heads , stiffer springs and goin from there

If your cam went flat you've got metal all over that engie and you should really take it apart.

thinking of pulling it out soon. easier to work on in my opinion, check the headers for cracks etc....

id like to see mid to low 12s. this motor is supposed to be good for high to mid 12s (with the right driver i imagine)

Kris that should be easy... i run low 12s with STOCK block, crank, heads and 210/205.... blah blah blah

oh and i have some XTRA ported heads FRESH sitting at my house...... come and check'm out:D:cool:

FWIW I have a 210/215 110* lsa roller and it makes better power and has better drivability than my old 212/212 112* lsa flat tappet. It surprised me that the drivability was better with the roller on a narrower lsa.

The 212/212 flat tappet seemed to gain more from locking the converter. I assume because the roller cam likes more rpm. With the old cam it felt like spraying a 50 shot when you locked the converter in 2nd at 55-60 mph. With the roller cam it feels like it actually hurts performance to lock the converter until you are really moving in 3rd gear (100 mph+) :confused:

I know of a couple of guys that have gone 10.50's with a flat tappet 210/205 it's a good street/track cam.

i thought my car ran pretty dam good with that cam. might try and find someone who carries that size.....any suggestions?