I just bought a Z06

tazgn

Well,
I was looking for a rebuildable Viper, and just bought a mint condition Z06 instead. It's a 2001 with 5400 miles. It's in Texas right now. Can't wait until it gets here.... The GN goes on e-bay this weekend. I wish I could sell it to someone who knows 'something' about TR's, but it will go to whoever has the $$$ now.

Derrick

Congrats on the car Derrick. Hey, you're the second Buick guy to sell his Buick and buy a Corvette, must be nice.:)

Derrick,

Congrats on the Z. I bought a 98 vert, and I love it. I know you'll be happy with the Vette.
I still miss the "exclusiveness" of owning a TR, though.
Maybe someday I'll own another TR.

Steve

Thanks Steve.
Yep, this is actually my 3rd vette. My first C5 though. And haven't owned one since 1995. The only problem is trying to make it even close to as fast as the GN in a straight line. And a supercharger just happens to cost TWICE as much as every other car. I think it's just because it's a "vette"...

Does anyone know what engine the Z06 has??? Is it an LS6?LS1? or what??? I'm really not up to speed with the old V8 scene anymore...

Derrick

P.S. Here's the link to the e-bay auction I won it from. I can't wait... :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=2485234556&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

Derrick,

Z06's come with LS6 motors. Yours will either come with a 385 hp or 405 hp LS6. Not too sure when the 405's started, though.
My friend's 04 Z06 runs 12.5's in the quarter with just an intake and cat-back exhaust. With forced induction, he should be in the 11's. Not sure how fast you want to go, but that's quick enough for me.

Originally posted by tazgn
Thanks Steve.
Yep, this is actually my 3rd vette. My first C5 though. And haven't owned one since 1995. The only problem is trying to make it even close to as fast as the GN in a straight line. And a supercharger just happens to cost TWICE as much as every other car. I think it's just because it's a "vette"...

Does anyone know what engine the Z06 has??? Is it an LS6?LS1? or what??? I'm really not up to speed with the old V8 scene anymore...

Derrick

You have a 385 hp LS6. They are VERY responsive to mods, my '01 coupe with the base 350 hp motor is deep in the 11s with some bolt-ons. A couple of guys have gotten their stockers into the 11s, go to www.corvetteforum.com and peek around. Pretty funny, I'm going from the Vette world to turbo Buicks. You'll notice that Buick people are much nicer in general and also tend to be more knowledgeable than the typical Vette owner. If you have any questions, I have been working on C5s and LS1s in general for a while so I'll be happy to offer any info I can. Click on the link in my sig, it's a friends shop that is turning out 10-second stock bottom end LS1 cars.

My dad has a 01 Z06. It put down 345/336 with a BPP lid and and Borla catback. The AF Ratio was 11.8-12.0. It would probably pick up a few more ponies if it was leaned out a bit. It has been to the track once and managed a 12.6@115. Has it been re-ringed? If not I would definantly have the dealer do a oil consumption test and hopefully you still have a little bit of warranty left. A lot of the Z06s have a column lock problem and GM finally sent out a recall on it. Make sure and have that done too. Take some pictures. Good luck with it and the borla stinger system sounds very nice!

cars.jpg

Well,
My car just sold.. :( *CRYING profusely * It's going to go to Michigan unless someone else bids in the next hour. I know it's a decision I will probably regret 5 years down the road thinking about all the fun me and the GN had and the damn ricers that we put into thier place SOOOO many times. I'm now taking a moment of silence as I feel I just sold one of my kids.... But on to new horizons. The Z06 will have a new supercharger on it's way as soon as the payments go through. I hope you guys will still let me "hang out" in the TR part of the pits with my lowly vette. :) I am interested in the street tire challenge though when it's set up. I won't be as fast, but I'll do my best.... ;)

On a good note, it sounds like my baby is going to someone who appreciates TR's!!! He has owned a few and currently has a low mile GN in his garage. I hope he treats her right. Oh, and Bruce, please disregard the tear drops that will be on the car when you get it.. :)

I will still frequent this board and hope to see you all at the track and cruise in's occassionally. Watch for the red Z06 with a Taz sticker in the rear window and honk... :)

Derrick

Congrats on the Zo6. I have one myself, and still have the TR. Very different cars, very different driving styles required to get the most out of them. Agreed, ZO6vette.com is a good place to start.

Get a short throw shifter on it if it doesn't have one.

Derrick, you about gave the car away...

it's too bad we just bought my wife her new suburban...:(