i installed my trunk braces... and wow!

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
this weekend i made my trunk X-braces. it was really simple, less then 5 bucks worth of parts from home depot. i installed them the next day, with all four wheels off the gound, and the back seat out.

i let the car down and just getting in the car, not even driving it felt stiffer. the car is soooo much stiffer driving, corners feel stiffer, emergency lane changes at like 45-50 mph-ish had a whole new feeling. i am highly impressed i think that everyone should know how great it is.

Trunk X-Braces

what do you think of my fabrication skillz?

-Neil

looks very good,just like the ones i see in the catalogs.
if its all good, shoot me the parts list and any part#'s so
when i go to the store they will know what im talking about.

well i'm thinking of doing a write up on the Gnttype.org tech site. its really quite simple.

this is what i used:

1. 10ft section of electrial conduict 3/4" ($2.17)
2. 6 bolts with lock washers and nuts (2 bucks)
3. 12 nylon washers

i cut it into 2 26" sections and 2 24" sections, the 26" ones got \ \ that way, and the 24" go / /. if you can tell the ones on the out side i had to take hammer and give them a couple wacks so they would bend around the other bars. to flatten out the ends i just stuck it in a vise and tightned away.

hope that helps!

-Neil

If I may ask a question, why did you have the car up off the ground to install the braces? I can understand the seat being out, even though I didn't have to take mine out to get them in.......

Neil, those braces look great, wish i made em instead of bought em. :( Either way I also was really impressed with how the car felt afterwords and would reccomend them to anyone. Not to threadjack here, but Tom, those wheels on your GN look slick as anything, what are they?

to unbind the suspension, with the car sitting on the ground on the wheels the suspension has a load on it, therefore you may stiffen up the suspension incorrectly, with all the wheels up everything is even... catch my drift or not? this is one of those things that i can explain it more in my head than i can express in words, hope that clears it up.

-Neil

Now try the front triangulating braces from a Grand Prix. They make 10X the difference that the rear seat braces do. ;) Every little bit helps.

Originally posted by LeesGN
Not to threadjack here, but Tom, those wheels on your GN look slick as anything, what are they?

Those wheels are American Racing "Hopster" style. I thought they looked pretty good in the catalog, but even better on the car. Thanks a bunch for the compliment! :D Now back to the original thread.........:eek:

I'm jealous. I've installed nearly every brace you can install on these cars+new body bushings and the motor is still dead. I can tell a definate difference when jacking the car up on one side. If I jack it from the rear, the front and rear tires leave the ground at almost the same time. Can't wait to actually drive it.

I just bought some lowering springs from Hotchkis and kyb shocks so my car can handle better and your trunk braces for $5.00 would be perfect;) thanks, any more ideas:D good saturday project

Originally posted by ALBERTAN
Now try the front triangulating braces from a Grand Prix. They make 10X the difference that the rear seat braces do. ;) Every little bit helps.

My brace hits the intercooler and you can hear it. Did any of you have that problem?

Tom,

What size tires are you running in the back? I've considered the hoopsters as well and I agree, they look nice!

James

nice job on your braces. i went another way i used 3/4 ply wood and covered it with gray felt liner gave it a nice clean look. also lowered outside noise with windows closed. i know a few of you my not like the idea of wood but did you know that plywood will not flex at all along the grain. i have a t-top car and it keeps me from twisting when under boost.

Originally posted by terryk
My brace hits the intercooler and you can hear it. Did any of you have that problem?

They do with my V4. The stock IC was fine. I am having a custom set fabricated for use with the V4 as Tony's instructions for running the V4 with the braces is wrong.....what a surprise. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by bishir
Tom,

What size tires are you running in the back? I've considered the hoopsters as well and I agree, they look nice!

James

James,

I run 275 50R/15's on a 15" x 8" rim in the back (15" x 7" in front) with 3-3/4" backspacing on the wheels (I think) and no rubbing on the frame rails. I love the look and wouldn't have it any other way. I get a lot of comments from the people around here on the way the rear of the car looks. Thanks for the compliment!