i hurt

413turbo

i had a complete shoulder replacement 2 weeks ago. it hurts, bad. i can't move it much. it rained a few days ago, and i could have crawled out of my skin. this sucks... the only time i felt semi ok, was right after the epidural in the neck.

i did go racing last thursday, ran twice and won twice. felt good, but i was running a slow car. he wants a chance to win his money back next thursday, and my car just isn't running good enough for me to feel comfortable about it. looks like i may loose a few dollars , and hurt my pride and ego. but at least he was the one talking smack before the race, he was quite after it.

it doesn't matter if i take it easy, or try to supervise stuff and use my other arm, it just hurts. i'm trying to go easy on the pain meds, i know they aren't good, but damn i'm hurting.

i'll try to post a pic of the staples later on.

Don't overwork it, take it easy on it. Oftentimes you make things much worse by overdoing it too early. Use the meds as needed, the pain will subside little by little but takes some time. Good luck, brother, I hate being laid up like that...

Slamming yourself around racing while recovering from such a painful and serious operation is.....NOT GOOD....you need to take a break for a while and let your would heal.....it can't heal while drag racing. Swallow your pride and take care of the most important thing now....YOU. Do yourself a favor and take it easy for a while. Eat some Cheetoes, whack a knat, but take it easy. Because Brucie said so.......:wink:

Bruce '87 Grand National

thanks. i'm really taking it easy. wife's cutting the grass. and i have 2 neighbors that willl help out if i need it. i think saying i was racing is painting the wrong image, let me correct that.

i drive a 14 second car. it shouldn't be that slow. i just can't get it right, no matter what i've tried- the mph is always the same.

sometimes, i can hear mrs.daisy in the backseat saying, "slow down, your going too fast.

so now you know - why i always walk around pissed off. it's not because my hair is thinning, or that i have to tske a majic pill to get it up. it's becaUse my car is soo slow.

It's killing me, but i haven't done anything at all for 3 days now, my wife told me she doesn't need a supervisor. and i'm soo freaking bored i started i thread based on how bad i feel. which is strange, because i'm not supposed to have feelings.

tell you what, the doctor said i feel better and be thanking him in 3 days. a week later, i called his office telling them i needed to see him because i hurt. to which they automatically replied that i couldn't have any more pain pills. (now this must be a bad problem in america- are people so whack that they are trying to get high on pain pills? they never get me high, i must be taking them wrong., i told them i wasn't calling for pills (i still have one prescriction that i haven't even filled yet) , that i just hurt. they came back and said that he said that was when he was only going to do a cap, that since he had to do a whole replacement, that it was major bone surgery, and that i will be hurting about the same for 6 weeks to 3 months:eek:.

anyway, i just woke up and the pain is very bad today. did my (doctor approved) lower arm exercise. and am looking forward to another day. i may have the neighbor clean out the garage, by finding some buick stuff to sell.

i do appreciate the replies, and i am doing my best at not doing anything. which just gets boring. in 6 weeks, i can loose the immobilizing device and move it i hope.

I have had 7 shoulder surgeries and I HONESTLY know exactly how you feel. Some of my proceeduces were WAY worse than others. Trust me on this one.......DO NOT DO THINGS YOU WANT TO DO.........take it easy on that thing. My last surgery went real well, and I was feeling good after about a week, then I went out in the shop and tinkered on a few things, nothing heavy, just tried inventing things to keep my mind going. (I mean you can't watch Jerry Springer all day) Well, I PAID for that move for a week and a half. I HURT so bad that all I could do was sit in a chair with my arm propped up and PRAY that it would go away. It did eventually, but the doc wouldn't up my meds to Percocet. I was stuck taking my vicoden and that wasn't touching it.
Take the pain meds. You DON'T heal faster off of them. Being in pain does NOTHING for you, other than making you an AZZ to be around. (even more so than you probably already are;)) Drink LOTS and LOTS of water with pain meds. Just before you run out, go see the doc and explain accurately your pain level. If he won't re-fill them, FIND ANOTHER DOC!!! FIRE him. Tell him that is EXACTLY what you are doing. Also before you have another surgery, go on Find a doctor - Doctor reviews and ratings - Doctor vitals - RateMDs.com and look at what other people are saying about them. Also make DANG sure he/she is board certified in the field they are practicing in. Man I've got a story about that very issue, but I won't hack your thread.

TAKE IT EASY, for at least 4 weeks. You'll be better off in the long run.

When you talked about the rain...

I can so relate to this..

I have a knee thats messed up, Surgery made it worse

the week after surgery it rained and I swear I would have ate a bullet...

Even pain meds wont touch that agony...

Hope you heal up fast, I have a few years to go before they will give me a replacement...

yeah that rain is a monster, i hope it isn't always like that. my wife's dad was walking when a drunk driver ran him over. his legs are almost all metal, and he can only use them i estimate about 70% (he has to walk down stairs backword). but, he has always complained about the rain making him hurt, i just never realized how bad.

i'm pretty sure i got the best doctor insurance would pay for. which is strange, because he was recommended by an ambulance chasing lawyer:eek:. he has tons of personally signed jerseys, balls, helmuts, etc all through his office. i mean you can't look anywhere without seeing another one. i'm guessing he has worked on all these big time sports figures from all over the united states. And he is not only board certifiedd, but is board certified in the sub-spealialty of shoulders.

i had talked to 2 other orthopedics before him and he was the only one that didn't seem to be only interested in money, or not giving pain meds. the others said it was a sprang??? the had been going on for a year. this guy took me serious, ordered 2 mri's. told me it may be a rotator cuff. and behold, my bones had collapsed almost completely (bad enough that he couldn't cap it) and my other shoulder is worse than this one.(it's still got to be done.)

i went to him for a quartizone shot, since i had a pimple where he had to inject, he sent me to the pain clinic. i take almost what they give me, (if i took it all, i'd always be in a stupor.) they aren't stengy by any means. per agreement to be in the program, i get no other medicine from anyone - that's why i never filled the doctors prescription. 1)i don't need it, and 2) i don't want to get kicked out of pain clinic for being greedy or stupid. 3) i'm on enough crap as it is. NO, it doesn't cure the pain, but it does help to make it bearable most of the time.

but, next time it rains, i might jump in the car and go somewhere it isn't raining. holy chit, that was un-real. i'll have to start feeling bad for my wife's dad now when it's raining.

What EVER you do.........Don't move here to the Pacific Northwest! It rained EVERY day in Feb, 'cept maybe three days. (those days were cold, cloudy and windy, though) It's sunny (partly) today, then it's forcast for rain until July 6th or 7th.;)

i feel for you bro

2 back surgeries within the last 3 years and from what i'm told the low and high pressure systems ( weather ) is what makes you feel it down to your bone. i have 6 screws, 2 steel rods and a mesh cage. have had 2 ruptured disc since 1991 so pain meds aren't anything new to me. Thing that sucks is you grow a tolerance to them like beer and after awhile they don't work. i don't take as much as i used to but i'll always have to take some for the rest of my life is what my dr said. i've tried all kinds of stuff from anti narcotic when i worked to vicodens and some muscle relaxers. As i said i've weened myself off them but there are days i want to just cry or take a handful at a time the pain is so bad. I usually try a tylenol PM or something to help me sleep. i don't take percocet, i've always stuck to vocodins and soma's or some other muscle relaxers. the muscle relaxers the dr has me on now i take at night and i usually am snoring within 30 mins or so. i just hate to not being alert incase someone comes around messing with my car or house. good luck and hope you get to feeling better soon. and as another guy said, take it easy and don't do anything until you rehab it. my father in law had a simular surgery on one side and just had the other done monday. i think he said the recovery time is 6 months. So the heaviest thing you should be lifting is the remote. I know it's tough i'm bored outta my mind at times but i keep myself busy here and there with stuff. i'm better then i was but it's a process.

Well, when it rains, the barametric pressure usually falls...this means that the inside pressure in your body increases, it's not equal to the outside bar pressure but it's more. So, this causes the places where your joints/replacements/surgery, etc. to swell, usually a lot....this is why your joints and all these areas that you had operated on hurts so much.

Every storm front has a barametric pressure drop, so that's why a lot of folks can actually tell if a storm is coming due to their joints hurting/swelling.

End of Science 101. Sex 102 in the future.:tongue:

But, all of us are concerned about you, so listen to what the guys are telling you, since they know first hand. Just take it easy.

Bruce '87 Grand National

2 back surgeries within the last 3 years and from what i'm told the low and high pressure systems ( weather ) is what makes you feel it down to your bone. i have 6 screws, 2 steel rods and a mesh cage. have had 2 ruptured disc since 1991 so pain meds aren't anything new to me. Thing that sucks is you grow a tolerance to them like beer and after awhile they don't work. i don't take as much as i used to but i'll always have to take some for the rest of my life is what my dr said. i've tried all kinds of stuff from anti narcotic when i worked to vicodens and some muscle relaxers. As i said i've weened myself off them but there are days i want to just cry or take a handful at a time the pain is so bad. I usually try a tylenol PM or something to help me sleep. i don't take percocet, i've always stuck to vocodins and soma's or some other muscle relaxers. the muscle relaxers the dr has me on now i take at night and i usually am snoring within 30 mins or so. i just hate to not being alert incase someone comes around messing with my car or house. good luck and hope you get to feeling better soon. and as another guy said, take it easy and don't do anything until you rehab it. my father in law had a simular surgery on one side and just had the other done monday. i think he said the recovery time is 6 months. So the heaviest thing you should be lifting is the remote. I know it's tough i'm bored outta my mind at times but i keep myself busy here and there with stuff. i'm better then i was but it's a process.

Wow, read what you wrote...that's the problem I have, two ruptured discs (that's discs, not dicks:tongue:) But I haven't had back surgery, and don't want to due to all of the horror stories I've heard. My MRI showed two horribly torn up ruptured discs. I use Robaxin to calm the pain down, usually at the end of the day when I'm hurting like a batsh** hoot owl from physical activity. It's really bad when I have to saw up or cut down lots of trees, man it hurts so damn bad I just sit and stare. Working on my cars really kill me a lot, but I do it anyway. The back pain is a way of life for me, so I guess there's nothing to be done, just live with it. So, I really sympathize with you and your problem. My doctor will not give me ANY KIND of pain pills at all. Just Robaxin, that's it. Two will usually do the trick. Vicodin makes me sick as a dog, but I could use one about twice a year if I had some, but no luck. It's just part of life. Do without and go on.

My torn up back was from when I was in high school and two bullies jumped me in front of a gas station. I beat the **** out of the first guy, to the point of unconciousness, but the other guy had steel tipped boots on and was kicking me in the back as hard as he could as I was tearing up his buddy's face while holding him in a head lock. They were taunting me for about 1/4 mile as I was walking home with my little brother, so, after getting sucker punched by the first coward I'd had enough. I've paid for it ever since with this bad back problem. But, he never picked on me again. I had only been out of the hospital for two weeks, so was still hurting otherwise from a very serious operation. Bullies, just cowards and I've always taken care of them sucessfully but at a great price. Still suffering after all of these years.

Oos. Did I highjack this thread? Man, really sorry. Wasn't thinking.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Update

been a little over a month now. pain is much better, but i'm still taking it easy. i was probably pretty doped up when i started this message, and bored out of my mind. i think i spent the first 2 weeks in a "brian fog" from all the pain killers, but i'm taking very little now. here's a pic.

IMG00444-20110316-1415.jpg
[/IMG]

why did you need a full shoulder replacement? Whas it from an injury, or sports etc.?

why did you need a full shoulder replacement? Whas it from an injury, or sports etc.?

renal (kidney) failure, took tons of steriods for treatment. that caused the blood supply to my bones to stop. and then the bones at the joints started collapsing. i still need one more shoulder done first, and then we see if i have to have ny more replaced.

Take it easy on those meds

be careful on those narcotic muscle relaxers and pain killers. you can get a DWI on them and if for some reason your leaving your house for an extended time ( going to a swap meet or something for more then half a day ) take the bottles of pain pills with you. if you get pulled over and the cop wants to check you out throughly and finds them you can get a felony if you don't have the bottle or paperwork showing that they are for you. Also Bruce if your Doc only gives you robaxin you may look for a pain management place. There is a wide variety of stuff they can put you on but just take it easy on them. no one wants to be around someone all doped up on pills and if you add alcohol to it, it can be a lethal mixture.

renal (kidney) failure, took tons of steriods for treatment. that caused the blood supply to my bones to stop. and then the bones at the joints started collapsing. i still need one more shoulder done first, and then we see if i have to have ny more replaced.

that sucks. hope everything turns out alright for you.