I guess I'm 'Old School'

Nasty Wendy

Perverted Lurker
My car audio system is comprised of a Kenwood CD player and a pair of JBL T545 6X9s with an Orion 280gx amplifier. Last night I finally added a new set of 3.5" Rockford Fosgate Coaxial speakers in the dash. Radio power on the the 3.5s and the Orion on the 6X9s. Yep, I'm old school.

I have had stereo systems in the past that were worth more than the vehicles that held them. I still feel the desire to build custom shidt every now and then but then I listen to my current system and that desire fades away.

I'm getting ready to put some tunes in also. Not sure why the bug bit but it did. Nothing fancy but it will be interesting at least.

Maybe we should post some nice pics of our systems John. LOL. Although I must say getting 6x9s in the rear deck without any type of adapters was a bit of work.

pics of 10" orions, rest of car has all orion mids tweet x9s

:biggrin: interior.jpgtrunk2.jpgtrnk.jpgher

XTR 10s. Nice. I've never run those free air before. I did build a nice dual bandpass box for one that kicked ass. I was never a fan of their mids but they used to have a soft dome tweeter that was super nice. It wouldn't handle much power though and they blew often. If blown soft dome diaphagms were worth ANYTHING I'd be rich. The fix was to cross them over higher but that countered what was so nice about them. Their lower extention blended in with the mids perfectly. Ah the memories.
How do those XTRs sound free air?

they sound great,for 15 year old speakers.the amps are 6 mos old,i figure once the 10s blow ill custom a pair of the new 12" orion subs , with 4 inches of travel!

I've got free air 12" JBL GTI's in the back of salvageV6, the first generation ones. :cool:

That's not my Old School stuff however, that titles reserved for my 1978 Zapco Power Amp. that runs my 6 x 9's out back. :eek::biggrin:

I built a dual band box with JL 12"s for MY GN around '92. Pushed them with a big Kenwood amp.

I still have that stuff along with some RF punch 150HD

In '91 I bought a '79 malibu wagon to stuf 4-15's in it.

I haven't had a system in over 15 years. My wifes new ford fusion stock system thumps hard with the I=pod..

I had to dig these up from the grave. They are very hard to find and they are no doubt 'Old School'.
JBL-DECADE-T-545__38066604_0.jpg

At one time i had xtr 10's, xtr 12's, orion 2125, 22150, 2250, 225. This is before the called it the xtreme series...

I still have an Orion 240gx, 280gx, two 2150gx, and a 2350gx. I was/am an Orion audio enthusiast.

I worked as an installer and later opened my own shop. I don't have any of the literature left other than a stray manual here and there. As much as I used to love doing that type of work I learned to hate it when dealing with assinine customers.

I absolutely LOVE old school car audio. Some old things I have laying around are:
Old JBL 1000GTI - Best sub ever hands down. Loud, tight, and clean.
2 Rockford Fosgate 1st gen Audiophile 10's - like new - very musical subs and a nice platform if you don't want to run a ton of power.
Xtant 404M - not a bad amp.
Hifonics Europa VIII - Series VII and VIII Hifonics amps are my absolute favorite. Nothing else I've had (Alpine, Xtant, Phoenix Gold, Soundstream, Orion Red, Black, Cobalt, Lanzar, ADS, Eclipse, you get the picture) can touch these things for sound quality IMO. I used too have a Cupid running 2 sets of components and a 10" sub. It was still clean.
Coustic XM5e crossover - This is a cool unit because it allows phase control on the sub and has a center channel processor.

I still need to plan what I'm going to put into the GN. I'm really not that big on putting the 6x9's in the back again. I like my soundstage up front. I'm thinking about finding some old Image Dynamics IDQ6's crammed into the doors somehow with CD1E horns under the dash. Maybe some soft dome tweeters thrown in to offset the CD1E's a bit. The JBL will be the sub of choise for sure. I'm still debating on whether to use the Hifonics amp or go with the Xtant. I have an old Eclipse headunit I'll use.

Hifonics - I remember those. Wasn't there a Zeus mono amp?

Remember the GN with the system? I think it only had 4 drivers.. I'm thinkg about a system like that..

Horn drivers in the dash and some mid bass in the trunk..

Lets post some pictures of the oldskool gear. I'll pull mine out tonight and post what I have left of those days..

I think the Zeus was a 600X2 Amp which cab be bridged mono. I remember those as well. Did a Hifonics system as well. Had a Zeus, Odin and Pluto Amp. Loved car audio back then. Always looked forward to Car Audio and Electronics magazines. As for the Orion news letters. Thats were they give you an overview of their new products. I always saw a bunch of crossovers on the article. One thing that bugged me was that connector that Orion used. My 2125 went bad at one point.

Hifonics did run a tight ship. For years they had the most powerful amp @ 1800watts. I had a Sony XE700 boyeeeee. Remember these?
images