I got a good question about pistons

Pop Chevy

I bought a used and beat up Stage II engine at the Buick meet this weekend and got a real surprise when i got it home and tore it apart. The block had been repaired but the crank was decent, the pistons looked like new, and the cylinders looked o-k.But when I took a closer look at the pistons, I was shocked to see only one compression ring !!I was told this was a drag motor but didn't care. After all, a race motor is a race motor right? I plan on using this in an Indy lights car. But will the pistons stand up to decell and downshifting? Will it smoke? Does anyone have any experience with single ring pistons in a Stage II engine?
Thanks, Gregg

I am in no way a piston expert of Stage block guru. But I know that Indy motors have a higher compression ratio than the turbo motors. From reading on here, the Indy motors were usually ran at 14:1 compared to the turbos ran at 8-9:1.

Some of the Stage experts will probably chime in.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Ohio George told me the Indy Lights engines were built at 12.5 :1 .My engine should be slightly lower than that. Did you ever figure what your compression is under boost ? ?
Gregg