I am going to build a new home

TT/Ameasap

The White Blur
My wife and I are going to build a new house. What website's or tips can you give me?

I have already found the lot and model of home.

Thanks,
Bo

Are building the house your self or hiring it done?

I built mine myself, so I know what you are getting to go through. You might want to get your divorce papers written up ahead of time!LOL!!!

Hiring it done. There is alot of options to choose from. what can I do to make this easier?

Thanks,
Bo

Just for ****s, what's land going for in FL? Up here in Ma, NH, if you can find a lot. You're looking at $125k to 200k for a .5 acre lot..Yes, that's 1/2 acre!

Any kind of acreage..1, 2, 4, minimum 150+ and you gotta do development work..CRAZY **** man!!!

Land in Florida depends. E side forget it. W side where I am is high but all of it goes up in value quickly. Average in Manatee county is .7% a month. I'm guessing since i'm on a lake near town that it would be closer to 1% a month. by the time I walk through my new house in Dec. it will have gone up like 12k and it is no joke. I have been looking at property for 4yrs down here and it keeps sneeking upward on me everytime. I finally moved here and decided to jump now before it gets out of hand.:rolleyes:

My wifes Gma & Gpa just bought an older home 100yrds down the road and at closing it increased in value 4k:eek:

1 acre lots in Manatee county are going fast at $75K-$80K You gotta develope

Lots of people moving here and eating up property like me:D

Better hurry!;)

Bo

Make sure that anywhere your water pipes are NEAR each other, you insulate them with rubber foam.

Originally posted by KnightRider
Are building the house your self or hiring it done?

I built mine myself, so I know what you are getting to go through. You might want to get your divorce papers written up ahead of time!LOL!!!

hahahaha....I hope you can make decisions!!!!! ya wanna talk stress????!!!!! if ya dont have the divorce papers drawn up at lease get a lawyer :p

What my wife and I did was go to open houses and look at the different ideas that people have had. Usually in the newspaper it has a list of the houses that will be open on a certain day. Another good thing is to find a Home Expo Show, there are lots of ideas and usually some good deals.

But my number one tip is don't be a nice guy. What I mean is if you contractor does something that you don't like, don't be afraid to tell him to do it over. It is your house and you have to live with it not the contractor. I am sure you are paying him good money and you expect a good product in the end so settle for nothing less than perfection.

But in the end you wife will decide on everything and all you can do is nod and smile!LOL!

I had a house built by a builder in jacksonville that it just so happened my fiance' (now wife) worked for...and here is what i can tell ya

Most new home construction will go up in value...especially in new "developement" areas...gated communities, etc....

for my house i payed 138k in aug of 2001, it was appraised at 168 2 months ago...

now for the building part....we would go look at it almost everyday and when stuff started going dormant we were on them like flies on ****....even with her working there, things went wrong...and we would make them redo it...the worst was when they used 2 different color brick mortar and they finally got a guy to come in, mix some mortar paint to match and painted the discolored mortor....took him 3 days....thats just an example...

stay on them...if possible get to know the on site supervisor....if he is good, your house will turn out good...if he is lazy...expect problems...and near the end when you do your walkthru....HIT everything you see wrong....and if you can DO NOT sign the paper work until its all fixed...otherwise good luck getting them to come over and fix stuff once you have signed the dotted lines (there are hundeds:p)

HTH

I'm sure there are books written about this....

I've built two houses in 25 years. My family builds houses. Everybody builds houses. As long as human beings do the construction, there will be mistakes, revisions, and setbacks of all kinds. Roll with the punches. If your contractor says December....Plan on March ;)

Changes to a set of plans will cost you money. If the plans have to be reengineered because of your changes, it will be big money. So, do your homework and get the contractor to agree to specific changes and include them in the price for his first bid. That will save you money. Make that garage ten feet wider and five feet longer than standard, you'll be glad you did ;) Make a four car garage, it will pay big dividends when you sell....

Issues like kitchen and bathroom components and trim level will surprise you, so, do your homework in advance. That will save you money too.

At closing, put 5% in escrow to fix known and unknown problems with the house in the first 6 months you live in the house.

You will sell the house eventually....So, choose a floor plan that will look good to prospective buyers when you sell....Don't do crazy things that make you happy that others will puke at when you sell the house.

Insulate water pipes with rubber foam :confused:

If you don't watch out, the price of the house will get out of control with "upgrades". Think long term. Gas water heater for hot water on demand, not an old fashoned water heater. High efficiency heating, air conditioning, insulation in attic, walls, on roof decking under shingles, cement tile shingles (save 25% on insurance), windows and doors.

Plant the biggest trees you can afford to make shade on your house. If the lot has trees, DO NOT allow the subcontractors to cut any tree you don't approve of in advance, on penalty of $500 per tree if he cuts it anyway.

Common sense is what you really need. You'll need to get a P.h.D in home construction along the way too ;)

HTH

Make that garage ten feet wider and five feet longer than standard, you'll be glad you did ;) Make a four car garage, it will pay big dividends when you sell....

I am building an attached oversized 3 car garage on to the estate :D

OK. What is everyone averaging out to on cost per square ft to build not counting the lots? Im thinking of building soon also..I will do most of the work myself also as I have a flexible job to do so & Im use to working my tail off...Im sure its a real big strain on any relationship too..friend of mine is on his 2nd house..1st he built like 3 years ago & built it for 60.00 a square ft..avergae house..other friend did his for 60 sq. ft but was in 1996 but was top line stuff used then also..just curious as to a price per square ft now..lumber should be alot cheaper right now..I built the same size deck as my one freind..he spent 3k in materials..I built mine fancier & nicer......using more materials than him & only spent 1500..so I know materials are cheaper..
Brian

As work onyour house progresses....

Visit the building site at break times and offer Coke, coffee, water, snacks to the workers....There are 10,000 little details in the fit and finish of a home....If they like you, those details will go in your favor. :)

here in jax price for square foot can range from 60 to 100...all depends what "hood" and county you are building in...same house different county for mine was 20 grand cheaper....taxes man...get ya everytime...

Originally posted by lburou
If your contractor says December....Plan on March ;)

Finally, I am closing on the house next week.:rolleyes:

I know im not done yet (walk through), but I see the light up ahead:D

AND I AM STILL MARRIED! :eek: :D

Bo

So it sounds like everyone just waisted all that typing ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,What you are closing on the house next week..........................

Originally posted by AsphaltAnihil8r
So it sounds like everyone just waisted all that typing ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,What you are closing on the house next week..........................

NO, I took advise from everyone that shared, and now almost a year later, I am almost ready to move in. Look at the post date ;)

My bad,,Congrats on the home,,any pics....We Like's pics...

;) :cool: :cool:

Update!

1yr later Again and the house has doubled in value...I knew it would go up.... My property is #1 in the nation!!! I am selling. :cool:

My wife and I are in our early to mid 20's and will be able to afford what we dreamed of and OWN it! :cool:

Kinda like winning the lotto :eek: :cool:

What about everyone else? I hope you guys are doing well also.