Hydroboost

samandw

Anybody know a good place to get parts to convert back to Hydroboost? My Cutlass makes 18" of vacuum at idle and I like it's brake feel far better than my GN. I had a car with Hydroboost a few years ago and it worked great. My GN was converted to '84 Monte parts before I bought it and I really don't like the brake feel. It feels like I'm about to break a seat-post under rapid braking because the pedal pressure is so high. My Cutlass will lockemup under moderate pedal pressure. . .

I know I can install a vacuum pump but I'd really rather not if I can avoid it.

--Sam

Originally posted by cjp69
I think that is what he has now Frank, and wants to go back to a PowerMaster or HydroBoost (?) type system.

I think Bill may have even bought it from John. D (Red Regal), but I am not 100% positive.

I guess I should have read a little more closely.

I have a spare Powermaster system if your intrested.

FS

Originally posted by samandw
Really?

How much would you like to get for it?

--Sam

Sam,

You might also check with Bill to see if he has the system he took out of the car still. It was working when removed.

There is a member Matt_S that sells complete Hydroboost units. you can probably email him. Red Regal T sells vacuum systems. It's unclear what system you had on your car before, but Hydroboost and Powermaster are different systems. The Hydroboost uses the power steering pump for power assist and the Powermaster is self contained with its own motor to provide power assist. Vacuum is pretty much self explanatory. All system have some drawbacks. For instance, Hydroboost is dead once the power steering pump stops moving (or the engine stops), the same for vacuum. Some say that you cannot hold as much boost with the vacuum units. The powermaster is expensive, but so long as you have ignition power, you have brakes, but the diameter of the power piston in the Powermaster system requires a lot of pedal force if the powermaster motor stops working. If your car was not equipped with powermaster, I would suggest against converting to that system (mostly because of expense and availability of parts).